Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket PC Techs Now Offering iPAQ hx4700 RAM Upgrade

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...=I47-064-128RAM

"Upgrade your HP iPAQ hx4700 series internal RAM from 64MB to 128MB with our upgrade service. During the upgrade process we remove the existing 64MB and install 128MB. This memory upgrade does NOT require our proprietary driver and is fully recognized by the OS (126.27MB Available)."

Pocket PC Techs just announced their latest upgrade, and it sounds sweet. :mrgreen: Along with the hx4700's internal flash drive, this makes it a killer unit (unless you need a game-enabled dpad). And for the Europeans amongst you, they offer upgrades through Expansys to make it easier and cheaper. Do note that this will void your warranty, although Pocket PC Techs offers a 90-day warranty on their work and on the motherboard.

Old 10-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Fabulas
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Fabulas Send a message via MSN to Fabulas Send a message via Yahoo to Fabulas

Everything sounds golden with the exception of this math equation, $650 + $199= a whole lotta money 8O

Old 10-14-2004, 03:36 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

I imagine HP could have released that device with 128MB to begin with for a lot less than $200, maybe just $50 extra would not be an unreasonable estimate. Makes you wonder why they didn't.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:22 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck
I imagine HP could have released that device with 128MB to begin with for a lot less than $200, maybe just $50 extra would not be an unreasonable estimate. Makes you wonder why they didn't.
Poor judgment. 128MB RAM/128MB ROM is sweet. The least HP could have done was to make a PPC with a user-accessible 64MB RAM/128MB FlashROM in stead of 80MB. That would have worked better in their favor.

But I have to hand it to PPCTechs. They have done it again.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

One thing worth knowing is that when PPC Techs adds the RAM, they have to REMOVE the 64 MB of RAM on board and add 128 MB of new, high-speed RAM...hence their material costs are pretty high right out of the gate, the you add in labour, etc...

Old 10-14-2004, 07:13 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

At first, I was excited about the RAM upgrade to 128MB. After looking at the hx4700 again, I conclude that it's an ugly machine and it's had it's share of memory problems. You know, I want technology to make my life easier...

Let's talk about price too... I don't have a problem with a $199 RAM upgrade for a Pocket PC... It's labor intensive and getting that RAM can't be cheap either. But when you put in the cost of the PPC, it's pretty crazy.

Now, if PPC Techs offer a RAM upgrade for the Dell X50v... Power AND beauty. :wink: AND the price for the whole thing will be much more reasonable.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Fancy that! :lol: The reliance on another company to patch up HP's neglected thinking. Much like Microsoft's reliance on Spb for a close button. :P

Old 10-14-2004, 11:16 AM
nGage
Pupil

I don't see HP's decision to go with 64Mb Ram / 128 Mb ROM as a bad one. Has anyone considered the effect of keeping that extra 64Mb of RAM refreshed on battery life? As far as I can tell the trend for PPC's is for more non-volatile storage and less RAM so that if the battery goes flat you don't lose everything. I think enough RAM for running progs and I'll happily have the rest as non-volatile, low power consumption Flash ROM of one sort or another.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:17 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus
Default Re: Pocket PC Techs Now Offering iPAQ hx4700 RAM Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
During the upgrade process we remove the existing 64MB
Just curious, what happened to the 64MB that they removed ?

Old 10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
bvkeen
Intellectual
Default 128 RAM

<whine on>
Actually, the existing 64 MB would be fine if it just weren't for memory "leaks." Leaks might not even be the right word, but several apps do not free up all the RAM they occupied after closure, possibly leaving unused dll's cluttering up the memory, possibly leaving something else - I just can't tell. I don't know if SE is worse about this than FE, but i had SE on my e800 and it never became a problem, because it was just not as noticeable with 128 MB RAM. But, with 64 MB (say 25 available for program memory), it's very noticeable when TextMaker takes 5+ MB to run and only frees up 3 MB of that afterward. And, after the first use of WiFi, there's at least a meg that doesn't get freed back up. So, if I soft reset and have ~29 MB for program memory, run WiFi and then TextMaker (closing both when done), I can be down to 25 MB free program memory in minutes. Given that several other apps take a trace memory amounts (or that the OS does), the loss of program memory can easily total up to 7 - 10 MB throughout the day.

Of course, the problem would be barely noticeable with 128 MB RAM, but I am not going to pay another $200 to overcome a problem that shouldn't exist anyway.
</whine off>