Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 10-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Free Mobile Application Development Toolkit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Microsoft has released a development toolkit packed with valuable resources. The toolkit provides the resources you need to start building mobile applications for Smartphone and Pocket PC devices.

The kit includes:
  • Windows Mobile Development Guided Tour
  • QuickStarts
  • Hands-on Labs
  • Technical Articles
  • Business Success Stories
  • Information about Developer Tools and SDKs
  • Software and Special Offers

It's a 50 MB download... ehrrm... Sorry, who cares nowadays? Is there anyone out there on a dial up modem line?

Old 10-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Free Mobile Application Development Toolkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
It's a 50 MB download... ehrrm... Sorry, who cares nowadays? Is there anyone out there on a dial up modem line?
Are you kidding?!? I can't get ADSL because I'm on pair gain lines. And no cable on my street. But I'll be getting Wi-Max as soon as it gets rolled out in my city. Or cable if I move house soon. :P

Old 10-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Peter Foot
Thinker

If you are in the US you can also order the kit on DVD for just the cost of delivery. The DVD includes a lot more stuff than the download such as a trial version of Visual Studio 2003. I've been assured that this will also be available to order outside the US soon.

Peter

Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Dogo
Pupil
Default Re: Free Mobile Application Development Toolkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom

Yes sir, here in Argentina more than 50% of internet users have dial up modem lines.

Sad, but that�s how it is.

:bad-words:

Old 10-14-2004, 03:09 PM
the_rapture
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to the_rapture Send a message via MSN to the_rapture Send a message via Yahoo to the_rapture Send a message via Skype™ to the_rapture

The price I have to pay for my 5 acres and country living. I'm waiting on a phone that supports Verizon Wireless' 800k network or something better than Directway (OneWay).

Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Hi, my name is Jim *hi Jim* and I still have a dial up ISP. ops:

I do have speedy access at work so I'm not completely stuck. :lol:

Old 10-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Hey - I'm glad to see this developer package. While the quantity of developer information is high in the VS2003 help files, it's not always very useful. A lot of basic stuff seems to be left out.

Here's a question for the group - anyone know who I contact for tech support on EVC++ 4.0, a free product? I think I'm SOL here, but I'm really frustrated because my problem is that I cannot INSTALL it. The installer gets most of the way through, and then tells me I have insufficient memory to proceed (I have 768MB in my laptop). I searched to see if there was already a tech support item about this on the MSDN site, but couldn't find anything.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Here's a question for the group - anyone know who I contact for tech support on EVC++ 4.0, a free product? I think I'm SOL here, but I'm really frustrated because my problem is that I cannot INSTALL it. The installer gets most of the way through, and then tells me I have insufficient memory to proceed (I have 768MB in my laptop). I searched to see if there was already a tech support item about this on the MSDN site, but couldn't find anything.
Have you tried the VC newsgroups? They are usually have pretty heavy traffic. I don't know that MS officially supports the free IDEs. For what it's worth I have VC++ 4.0 installed on my desktop with <500MB of RAM.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dodd
Have you tried the VC newsgroups? They are usually have pretty heavy traffic. I don't know that MS officially supports the free IDEs. For what it's worth I have VC++ 4.0 installed on my desktop with <500MB of RAM.
I did look briefly and didn't see anything that related.

I suppose I'll try working on it again when I have a little more time.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dodd
I did look briefly and didn't see anything that related.

I suppose I'll try working on it again when I have a little more time.
You should bring it up as a question. I know a lot of MS folks seem to hang out there. It usually gets pretty quick response when somebody yells "Help!"

Good luck.