Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default IEEE Start New Mobile Phone Battery Standard

http://standards.ieee.org/announcem...s/pr_p1725.html

The IEEE is currently working on a new standard called P1725, which will deal with improving the reliability of lithium-ion and lithium-ion polymer batteries. The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) produces nearly 30 percent of the world's literature in the electrical and electronics engineering, computing and control technology fields, and their standards include WiFi and Firewire etc. The huge growth in the use of mobile phone (and PDA) batteries means that the time is right to introduce a new standard to help deliver greater power and energy density for mobile device batteries:

"The new standard will seek to make cellular phone batteries more robust by setting uniform criteria for their design, production and evaluation. It will consider battery and battery pack electrical and mechanical construction, chemistries, process control, qualification and packaging technologies, among other areas. It will be developed by companies that manufacture batteries, cells and handsets, as well as by carriers."

Old 10-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I think this is what stands in the way of development. I'm willing to bet the biggest reason we haven't seen VGA PPC Phone is because VGA and GPRS would drain the battery way too fast.

Developments in batteries are what's holding us back.

Oh, and Jonathon? I think you forgot to stop italic because the whole front page below this post is italic. :wink:

Old 10-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Joseph
Oh, and Jonathon? I think you forgot to stop italic because the whole front page below this post is italic. :wink:
Fixed! Thanks!

Steve

Old 10-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

I agree, dictating standards stifles innovation.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 10-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Guys, this standard should *help* battery development. Working to standards *helps* innovation. You can build on the solid work others have done and not have to re-invent the wheel each time around.

Standards are necessary for devices to work together - look at 1394 (FireWire) and 802.11x (WiFi). This new battery standard is surely a good thing?

Old 10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
Quote:
Guys, this standard should *help* battery development. Working to standards *helps* innovation. You can build on the solid work others have done and not have to re-invent the wheel each time around.

Standards are necessary for devices to work together - look at 1394 (FireWire) and 802.11x (WiFi). This new battery standard is surely a good thing?
No, no, no, you misunderstand me, poor choice of words on my part. I meant that the LACK of battery development is what's holding us back. I think standards like this are great! They're exactly what we need. Sorry, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. ops:

Old 10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Yes, this is a great time to work on this issue... Thank you

Old 10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
No, no, no, you misunderstand me, poor choice of words on my part. I meant that the LACK of battery development is what's holding us back. I think standards like this are great! They're exactly what we need. Sorry, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. ops:
OK, sorry to misundersand you. I'll take the issue up with Charles Pickrell. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Pickrell
Why is that, pray tell good sir?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Pickrell
I guess you'll want to smash that computer in front of you then, since it's filled with nothing but dictated standards like PCI, AGP, CD-ROM, Ethernet, WiFi, ATA, SATA...

Old 10-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Actually in this case I agree with Charles. I think there is a place for standards, but I don't see the benefit here. It's not like we need two vendor's batteries to talk to each other, nor do I think we need to specify form factors, and such. Specifying minimum output or something like that wouldn't accomplish much except reducing the number of batteries that get the seal.

Standards always stifle innovation. You can always add your own proprietary extensions to the standard as long as you are backward compliant with the standard, but then you need to convince the public to buy only your line, to take advantage of the non-standard enhancement. That innovation is despite the standard, not because of it, or enabled by it.

Even with an existing standard you can always come up with a new idea, but again you are obliged to convince folks your non-standard way is better.

Standards are normally written to the lowest common denominator of the existing capabilities, or to the de-facto standard in existance.

I don't see this making battery technology better, faster.