Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default KITTY Gets its Claws Into the Virtual Keyboard Game

http://sabbah.biz/mt/archives/2004/10/02/kitty/

"KITTY, an acronym for Keyboard-Independent Touch-TYping, is a fingermounted keyboard that uses touch-typing as the method of data entry. The device targets the portable computing market and in particular wearable computing systems, which are in the need of a silent, �invisible� data entry system based on touch-typing."

Aside from the rather clumsy acronym, this thing actually intrigues me a little. True, you have to learn an entirely new way of typing that seems to have more in common with sign language than traditional typing, but look, it has cool coiley thingies! Also, the watch doesn't tell time - it's merely "watch-like". Does that mean that this thing is "useful-like"? Thoughts?

Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 AM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

Oh, oh, another one of these "very useful" inventions... OK, you can enter letter by trying to remember how you press different fingers against each other 8O and of course you have to wire yourself as well 8O

Sorry, but IMHO that's just another waste of time and effort. I learned letters and their order on a keyboard a long time ago. And by no means am I prepared to learn it again for a product that will be outdated in just a glimpse.

For the same reason FITALY and their likes are never taking of. Great ideas with absolute no connection to reality.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:04 PM
joefuture
Ponderer

It's interesting, but who's going to go through the hassle of donning all that gear when you could use a thumbpad keyboard or pen input more easily?

The touch-typing concept is fine, but this approach doesn't impress me. Add some fingertip pressure sensors to a nice pair of gloves maybe... chording input would be easy with that setup.

Or better yet, a jack in the back of my head... sign me up!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Oooooh - a borg headset!

Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

UHMMM Coiley things! :robot: Haven't we seen a smaller Heads Up Display unit though. I wonder why they didn't use that one?

I'd get it if they managed to build in some defensive options like turning the coils into a taser by crossing your finger or something. You'd need that if you ever had to walk outside with it on. :wink:

pretty cool idea though. 8)

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Old 10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I think this looks really cool!

Sure, it'd take a while to learn to "type" with it, but I learned how to type on a keyboard without much trouble. Imagine being able to type anywhere, even with your hands at your side while walking. Nothing involves touching one hand to another, so you could work on documents absolutely anywhere. I think the potential is amazing! 8O

Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

I really like how they handle the touch typing... using the same fingers as you use on the keyboard, but touch one of three rows on your thumb instead... it's almost intuitive to sit here and try that, so I imagine it wouldn't be that hard for us touch-typers to make the transition. I can't wait until that becomes a reality for consumers... it seems like it has the features to actually make it in the market.