Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Landscape GPS PDA Mio 188

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/...?TOPIC_ID=15973

"Even Google doesn't seem to "know" about the Mio 188 that site visitor "CIM" kindly introduced to us today with a couple of pictures! No specs at this point, but Mio, who shot to "GPS PDA fame" with the Mio 168, the first PocketPC with a built-in GPS receiver, seem to have shrunk the GPS antenna to the point of making it barely noticeable and are using a "symetrical design" for the PDA that allows for "natural" landscape use, like on the iPAQ hx4705."

There's not much information about this device, but I like the idea of a Pocket PC that's designed to be used in landscape mode as much as in portrait mode. Current Pocket PCs can do landscape, but the hardware doesn't make extended landscape use practical in most cases.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:01 AM
powder2000
Thinker

I really like the look of this unit! Can't wait for more info.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:54 AM
gpspassion
Intellectual

yes I'm pretty pumped up about "landscaped" PDAs as first seen on the 47xx - someone pointed out that the Mio 188 seemed a bit thick - looking at the pics I'm wondering as well.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Thinkingmandavid
Pontificator
Send a message via ICQ to Thinkingmandavid Send a message via Yahoo to Thinkingmandavid

I think it is a nice looking unit, but it could be it looks a little thick because of the angle of the pic taken. I am wondering battery life, weight, ram, and other features. Of course the price on it I am certain would be a bit out of range.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:06 AM
ruarch5
Pupil

This is how a PDA should be designed. I'm gonna wait until HP and the rest wise up. Gaming would be pretty easy if the designed PDAs like this. I the action buttons on top of the screen instead of being next to the D-pad.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:04 AM
surur
Mystic

That unit looks thick, but it is probably because Mio thinks they discovered the key to win ce device sales (GPS) and have designed a unit specifically for this (ie large battery and built-in antennae).

It is encouraging to see small manufacturers innovating in this way, and I wish them the best.

Im also glad they did not decide to make a "special" "Navigation for Windows" unit which can only run GPS software, because "some people are too stupid to run more than one program" like creative and their Media Player.

Surur