Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default PDA Security. What Security?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/01/pda_sec/

"Worker apathy about PDA security is putting corporate data in jeopardy. The storage of the names and addresses of corporate customers on PDAs is now common - but security practices are struggling to keep up with technology usage. Two thirds of users do not use any kind of encryption to protect confidential data on mobile devices, according to a survey commissioned by Pointsec Mobile Technologies and Infosecurity Europe. The Mobile Vulnerability Survey 2004 found that a third of users do not even use password protection on their devices, leaving the information vulnerable to opportunists, hackers or competitors."

One of the scary things about this survey was that one in eight respondents to the survey had lost their PDAs. That's a lot of loses. The most popular(?) locations to inadvertently dispose of PDAs were in taxis (30 per cent), in cars (20 per cent), at home (20 per cent), at an airport (10 per cent) or in a restaurant (10 per cent). So, next time you leave a restaurant to take a taxi to the airport, be sue to check down the back of your seat. You never know what you may find. ;-)

So, fes' up. How many of you good folks have lost you PPC and where did you lose it? Was your data secure, or were you wide open? What did you do to ensue that it did not happen again?

Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Mr. PPC
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Mr. PPC

We run Pylon Anywhere with the Systems Management add-on. This allows us to blow away (hard reset) the unit and wipe SD cards remotely. All the user has to do is call me and I can intiate a synch to have it destroyed. We also have forced power login, three times wrong and it hard resets. We also have enabled 30 day required sync, if it doesn't sync in 30 days, hard reset.

All traffic to Pylon Anywhere server is encrypted too.

Not much more I can do.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Daimaou
Ponderer

I lost an iPAQ in a plane, It was after my wedding, my wife and I were heading HongKong (our home at this time). I was so tired that I just leave the plan and left my iPAQ on the seat...
Well I was not that sad at this time, it gave me an excuse to buy a new one

Old 09-16-2004, 01:06 PM
surur
Mystic

I lost my HP 568 down a cinema seat. My only security was the fact that it would go blank in a few days if not charged. Ive always found the start-up password to make impromptu use of the PDA much more difficult.

These days I use a belt-clip (did not then, because as we know the HP 568 did not need a case at all (killer feature))) and I know instantly when my XDA II is not on my person.

Surur

Old 09-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimaou
Well I was not that sad at this time, it gave me an excuse to buy a new one
Sounds like you did OK there Daimaou. :wink:

I'm fortunate enough not to have lost a device, but I set my password to come on as soon as the unit automatically switches off (after 2 minutes inactivity). I don't find it too much of a hassel & better safe than sorry. I also use the MS Powertool to give me a strong password with characters and alphanumerics & don't store any data on the CF card.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:16 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Lost mine at WalMart. I was highly upset. I had a Krussel compact flash case (it was an iPaq 3975), a 1 gig compact flash card in the device, and a Socket compact flash card and a $100 bill tucked in the case. I am, however, MUCH happier with my 4155 And my Vaja case now.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
ikesler
Intellectual

I am in the high bracket..........

Lost my 1910 in a Taxi 2 years ago. Everything Important was in Ewallet and secure.......... I hope!

Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 PM
T-Will
Sage

This is a little off-topic...

I currently have the built-in Pocket PC password utility set to a 4 digit numerical password with a 0 minute prompt. I have the "Memory" screen open, and every time I turn my Pocket PC off then on and type in my password I've lost 270-300 KB of memory.

I suspected this was happening a while ago because my Pocket PC seemed to run out of memory very fast and the only thing I had changed was turning this password utility on, but I never really checked to see if it was really happening. Does anyone else have this problem??? Is there a fix for this?

Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

I have to admit, although I've never lost a Pocket PC (but I have been unable to remember which SCOTTeVEST pocket I put it in) and I keep my passwords safe and encrypted with CodeWallet Pro, I don't have any security in place to protect my Contacts list. I don't really have anything that's all that sensitive, but it could be kinda useful to a competitor, I guess.

I think I better at least turn on the power-on password...

Old 09-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
I think I better at least turn on the power-on password...
:way to go: