Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default T-Mobile Germany Announces "MDA Compact"

http://www.xscale.de/modules.php?na...order=0&thold=0

We've been talking about the upcoming super-tiny HTC device, codenamed "Magician" -- a quadband GSM/GPRS Pocket PC Phone close to the size of the iPAQ 19xx units, and with Bluetooth. T-Mobile (Germany, for now) has just announced that they will carry the unit as the "MDA Compact". I believe this is the second branding after the i-Mate version we reported on last week.

The above-linked XScale.de article (English translation here) has some great comparison shots of this compared to the MDA III and regular phones. The dimensions of the T-Mobile version work out to 4.9"x2.8"x0.73" and the unit weighs 5.2oz. This is slightly larger than what we reported on before -- could it be that it has a larger battery or something? Still, the photos show it to be quite compact, and as such it may fill a useful niche.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
MarcTGFG
Ponderer
Default Wrong specs!

I submitted news to you an hour ago that T-online has already corrected the specs of the MDA compact. They are 108 x 58 x 18,2 mm. The processor is also incorrect and should be 400 Mhz+. I confirmed this with a T-Mobile spokewoman who regretted the mistake.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:53 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

VERY interesting - November release date in Germany... so when do you think something like this will be on the US shores?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:17 PM
ikesler
Intellectual

my attenion is surely grabbed!

Old 09-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Wrong specs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTGFG
I submitted news to you an hour ago that T-online has already corrected the specs of the MDA compact. They are 108 x 58 x 18,2 mm. The processor is also incorrect and should be 400 Mhz+. I confirmed this with a T-Mobile spokewoman who regretted the mistake.
Ah - but - those are almost exactly the dimensions I posted...? I'll leave it for now.

--janak

Old 09-14-2004, 07:54 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possmann
VERY interesting - November release date in Germany... so when do you think something like this will be on the US shores?
Unfortunately, I'm guessing this will meet the fate of nearly every other recently announced PocketPC phone (excluding the Ipaq) and may never be officially released in the US. I haven't heard of any N.A. carriers announcing this yet, so more boo hoos for us I guess. :mecry:

We'll probably be able to buy from an importer, but at a steep premium.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 PM
alexm
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm guessing this will meet the fate of nearly every other recently announced PocketPC phone (excluding the Ipaq) and may never be officially released in the US. I haven't heard of any N.A. carriers announcing this yet, so more boo hoos for us I guess. :mecry:

We'll probably be able to buy from an importer, but at a steep premium.
That's it, i'm packin up and moving to Europe

Old 09-14-2004, 09:59 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

:lol: wait up for me! I'll start packing my bags too - geesh... Why do you folks over the the EU always get the cool new stuff to play with? :?

Old 09-15-2004, 02:21 AM
dacs29
Ponderer

Quote:
:lol: wait up for me! I'll start packing my bags too - geesh... Why do you folks over the the EU always get the cool new stuff to play with? :?
I guess that's why it's good to live about half of the year in Europe and the other half in the United States.

David

Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Looks niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Tiny yet decent battery and 2.8 inch screen.