Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Duke Nukem Comes to the Pocket PC

http://www.pocketgamer.org/showthre...p?threadid=3963

Yes, you read that right. Duke Nukem Forever is apparently going to take that long to come out, but you CAN play Duke Nukem 3D on your Pocket PC while you wait. Well, kinda. As it turns out, there are a few problems, like not being able to fire and stuff. Oh, and the person who ported it doesn't have a Pocket PC. But while this sounds grim to the point of comedy, all is not as it seems! According to posts over at pocketgamer, the game CAN be played just fine using a folding keyboard, and the developer is really working hard at getting things fixed. You can download the game at mobinaute, and you can read all the gory details over at pocketgamer. <old school> Now, does anyone know if the FIRST Duke Nukem and/or Commander Keen are available for the Pocket PC?</old school> 8)

Old 09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

With VGA devices appearing, we need an enterprising soul to port Diablo to VGA devices (I think the original Diablo was VGA resolution)...

Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I don't know what's better at the moment: checking out the game and not being to fire, or simply looking at the screenshot you posted above.

Either way, the user experience is still about the same.

Kidding. Hopefully, the developmental phase of this port proves to be successful, and again show others how capable it is for Pocket PCs to run decent games. Now...if only I could work out how to get Starcraft for PPC.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Steven Cedrone

Ah, Commander Keen and the original Duke Nukem. The hours I spent... :wink:

Steve

Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM
delfuhd
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to delfuhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Ah, Commander Keen and the original Duke Nukem. The hours I spent... :wink:

Steve

Same with me, oooooooooooooooh MAN if commander Keen were to be ported for PPC, I would go crazy. Duke Nukem is awesome enough, I remember the "scam" at that lycos site and how dissapointed I was that that really wasnt true, but I guess now it is! So I'm going to shut up and download this right now...

And I hope my professors weren't expecting me to pay attention in any of my classes today :wink: :lol:

Old 09-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfuhd
oooooooooooooooh MAN if commander Keen were to be ported for PPC, I would go crazy.
Me too! I played every single Keen version with Aliens Ate my Babysitter being my favorite.

But it's great to see Duke being made available for PPC! I played that game way back when, too. I'll have to give it a try!

Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Joseph
Aliens Ate my Babysitter being my favorite.
My fav were Keens 4 & 5: Goodbye Galaxy! But 4 was actually the best! (Secret of the Oracle) :wink:

Steve

Old 09-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I've still got all the Keens.

I'll save it for a rainy day - when Half Life 3 and Doom 4 become too demanding for my PC.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
DavidHorn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to DavidHorn

Version 0.33 addresses most of the problems, and is available to download here. You'll still need the original Duke files though, more information is in the news post.

http://www.pocketgamer.org/sys/files/spvDuke3d.rar

Old 09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
regas
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to regas Send a message via AIM to regas Send a message via MSN to regas Send a message via Yahoo to regas
Default They're already available

Duke Nukem, Doom II, and a number of original 3D games are already available and playing well on the Tapwave Zodiac, a Palm OS based device. I'll be pleased as anyone to see it on the PPC, but it can't possibly be all that hard to make it work if it can work on a Palm. A 400MHz Palm.