Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default A Rich Note Taking App For The Pocket PC?

http://www.evernote.com/en/products/evernote/

One thing I have not been able to find for my Pocket PC is a rich note taking app. I want one that allows me to mix text and drawings, just like you'd do with a pen and paper. Some allow this but the text is stored separately, which makes little sense. Would you want your text on one sheet of paper with arrows and charts on another? :?: Still others don't allow for plain text typed on the screen. You must use handwriting for everything which isn't good for those of us that can type faster and neater than we write.

Of course, OneNote for the PC is the perfect app for this, but it isn't available on the Pocket PC. The one-way syncing introduced in OneNote 2003 SP1 doesn't go far enough. We need a OneNote client for the Pocket PC. Well, a new product is about to enter beta in a few weeks called EverNote.

EverNote innovates by storing content on an endless, virtual roll of paper. You can quickly scroll chronologically through your notes similar to scanning through handwritten notes in a notebook.

I don't know if I'd call it innovation since Newton did this years ago according to some if its fans, but I'll take it. There is no download yet but if you click on the download link at the EverNote site, you'll be able to give them your email address to sign up for the beta.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

I've been following this app for a while for it's use on the Tablet PC. For the life of me I can't see how they are going to implement the full version of the app on the PPC. It's a huge app on the PC side if OneNote is any indication and I suspect it is. There's a lack of information about the mobile versions of EverNote and I am wondering if it will be just a viewer of notes and not allow creation of new rich notes. I can't find any information on their web site about it and discussions I've seen about it don't provide any answers either.

It would be a great app if it's fully implemented on the PPC.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
webagogue
Ponderer

I was just looking at this yesterday. Excellent idea. If it is half as cool as it seems I'll buy it!

Why has it taken so long for something like this to come along?

Old 09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
webagogue
Ponderer

There is an interview with EverNote CEO Stephan Pachikov (worked on Newton OS) at PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117735,00.asp).

I'm getting really excited about this!

Old 09-13-2004, 03:20 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

Please, please please let this app be as good as it sounds!

If this functionality could work on a Newton I'm as sure as heck it can work on a Pocket PC!

Fingers crossed 0X

Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 PM
upplepop
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to upplepop
Default Re: A Rich Note Taking App For The Pocket PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
One thing I have not been able to find for my Pocket PC is a rich note taking app. I want one that allows me to mix text and drawings, just like you'd do with a pen and paper.
Pocket Word allows you to draw in your documents; plus, the text and graphics are saved in the same document. Is there some reason you don't count PocketWord?
Quote:
Of course, OneNote for the PC is the perfect app for this, but it isn't available on the Pocket PC.
Out of curiousity, does anyone see an advantage to using OneNote as opposed to MS Word on a non-Tablet PC?

Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Palmguy
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Palmguy Send a message via AIM to Palmguy Send a message via MSN to Palmguy

Looks pretty cool...can't wait to see it!

Old 09-13-2004, 05:08 PM
webagogue
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upplepop
Quote:
One thing I have not been able to find for my Pocket PC is a rich note taking app. I want one that allows me to mix text and drawings, just like you'd do with a pen and paper.
Pocket Word allows you to draw in your documents; plus, the text and graphics are saved in the same document. Is there some reason you don't count PocketWord?
Well whaddya know. You're right! You can draw in Pocket Word. I never bothered to find (or forgot about) this functionality. One question - anyone know how to make Pocket Word save as RTF by default?

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, OneNote for the PC is the perfect app for this, but it isn't available on the Pocket PC.
Out of curiousity, does anyone see an advantage to using OneNote as opposed to MS Word on a non-Tablet PC?
I've tried OneNote, and as much as I want to like it on my laptop, I can't. Maybe it works on tablets.

I'm still looking forward to EverNote, however. I hope I can save /export files in a standard format (like RTF). I'm tired of proprietary formats.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:08 PM
onepieceman
Ponderer

This looks like it might be a killer application for me, if it does half the things it looks like it will be able to do...
I too am waiting impatiently...

Old 09-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Because you constantly have to switch between typing/drawing with a menu and changing the zoom level. You also have to pad your document with returns to put text below drawings.

Finally, when you sync your device, all of your text and drawings make it over, but in my very very simple tests, none of them come over located on the page anywhere close to where they are on the Pocket PC and it is incomprehensible.

So, no, I don't count Pocket Word. :wink: