Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 09-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Syware Visual CE Reviewed

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=3311

Geekzone's Freitas has written a review of SYWARE Visual CE Enterprise for Pocket PC. Visual CE is a popular database and data collection application development. Its main appeal relates to ease of use and how the tool makes fairly complex challenges easy to deal with. The review provides a nice walk through of setting up the environment and creating a "Hello World" type application.

I wonder, though, why Visual CE applications often get a very colorful look? I've scrolled through Syware's site and looked at the samples and I've seen real world Visual CE applications. Are Visual CE users more colorful than others?

"This review took longer that I'd expected. The reason for this is because this is really a large application environment. SYWARE's Visual CE 8 is a database, forms and report design application for the Pocket PC and Windows CE devices. Even users with no previous programming knowledge can easily develop a fairly complex data oriented application, and expert users can develop and deploy a large functional application. ... For my our tests I have used the Enterprise Edition. This version also includes a built-in report generator called Report CE to create ad-hoc reports and the sqlceEnable plugin which allows reports to read SQL CE databases. ... Entering information is very easy, and the Record menu provides access to records by using First, Previous, Next, Last and a Search function. It also provides Print, Save, Delete, Insert. The application also provides a table view and filtering capabilities. The user can exchange information with other Visual CE users via infrared or Bluetooth, and can select to beam all records or just the current record. Forms can be locked, so that after the final touches, no one (not even the creator) can modify it. Other interesting functionality is the automatic date picker when entering date/time fields. ... Applications like data collection, prescription management, inventory and others that require mobility can certainly benefit of this program, but even users looking for a tool to help them manage a collection or personal data can use Visual CE (in its Lite or Personal versions) to help them in these tasks."

Old 09-13-2004, 11:32 PM
dochall
Intellectual

Whatever the goods and bads of the Visual CE and a application dev tool. Every time I see a screen shot I wish that they would stop employing the colour blind to do their form design - it makes my brain hurt.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 PM
tigga
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to tigga

"Whatever the goods and bads of the Visual CE and a application dev tool. Every time I see a screen shot I wish that they would stop employing the colour blind to do their form design - it makes my brain hurt."

Haha, i have to agree. As a developer I can understand the need to occasionally use high contract colour pallets - especially on a PDA... but every Visual CE application I've ever seen looks like a menu from Pizza Hut.

Still, at least its another dev environment and we should be greatful. Personally im waiting for delphiCE.net which is another topic entirely...

I wish them well.

Dale. 8)

Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochall
Whatever the goods and bads of the Visual CE and a application dev tool. Every time I see a screen shot I wish that they would stop employing the colour blind to do their form design - it makes my brain hurt.
FWIW, I know they're looking at changing that, so here's hoping. :wink:

Old 09-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Ripper014
Oracle

It doesn't always have to look like a Pizza Hut menu...

http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...e&pagenumber=2

Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 AM
jnunn
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigga
"... Personally im waiting for delphiCE.net which is another topic entirely...
I am evaluating VCE and very much like what I see. I am using HandBase as the basis of my evaluation; VCE is in another league entirely.

What is delphiCE.net? I googled on it and came up with nothing.