Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default USB-based IrDA for $9.99 USD

http://www.time168.com/index.php?ma...products_id=195

Infrared is dead for me, I haven't used it in years, but I know that some of you still like it - but with more and more notebooks not coming with IrDA ports, and it being practically non-existent on desktops, this USB-based IrDA port looks like a handy and simple way to add IrDA to your laptop or desktop.

Features include:

� Easily enable IrDA function on PC through USB port
� USB Plug and Play convenience
� Fully compatible with IrDA 1.1 and USB 1.1 specification
� Compatible with FIR 4Mbps, MIR, SIR and ASK 56kbps
� No power is required for adapter
� Support Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windowss XP

Old 09-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Shuushin
Pupil

This would have been pretty handy back when I was using Palm PDA's - I seemed to have many problems when I would sync via USB.

Using the infrared on my notebook would do the trick, and when I switched to a desktop that was pretty much the end of my Palm days.

PPC all the way (conduits smonduits).

Old 09-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuushin
This would have been pretty handy back when I was .....
Same here. This would have really come in handy a few years back, but now I'm soon jumping on the Bluetooth bandwagon, so this it just a bit too late. Nice idea , shame about the timing.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
cribbagewiz
Pupil

USB Irda adapters have been around for a while now. They weren't always this cheap, granted, but hey have been there.

When I moved to a Shuttle XPC box, a USB Irda adapter was one of he first accessories I got for it. I use it with my Axim and I use it with my Nokia 6200. Nothing I have today uses Bluetooth, so I will continue to use Infrared until Bluetooth is embedded in everything I use. I don't plan on buying a new phone soon, nor a PDA, so Irda is just fine by me.

I'm also not aware that Irda has been disappearing from notebooks. Not a trend I have seen as of yet. Maybe on Dells or Acers since they are cost-oriented and crappy, but not any good notebooks.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:02 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Pretty cheap. Although $6 shipping is a downer. But still cheaper than you could get anywhere else. Would be good for getting pictures off of my phone. Right now, I have to beam to my Axim and then copy to CF.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:04 PM
jimski
Philosopher

Now that's a good idea, but I would agree just a bit late. I could see installing this on one of my desktop's front panel USB ports though. I don't sync with my desktop (laptop only) but occasionally have a need to move something from my PPC to this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbagewiz
I'm also not aware that Irda has been disappearing from notebooks. Not a trend I have seen as of yet. Maybe on Dells or Acers since they are cost-oriented and crappy, but not any good notebooks.
Actually my two previous Micron (MPC) laptops did not have an IrDA port, but my current laptop (about 3 months old) does. These were by no means crappy machines, as they were powerhouse desktop replacements going about $3K each.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Most new laptop has no irDA any more, just as floppy drive. Obsolete tech.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:33 PM
MkH
Pupil

Can you use something like this to make an all-in-one printer/copier/fax/scanner device become IrDA enabled or does the device have to have an OS on it? :?:

Old 09-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Lex
Sage

On my IBM Thinkpad (2 years old) infra-red only sends to the PPC it will not receive. The Help(less) desk says it's an XP problem.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Shuushin
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
On my IBM Thinkpad (2 years old) infra-red only sends to the PPC it will not receive. The Help(less) desk says it's an XP problem.
Most likely XP - my thinkpad was flawless on send and receive under Win2K (T20; same vintage)