Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Crazy SD Memory Prices!

Looking to buy SD memory? Now might be the right time.
How quickly can prices continue to drop!?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:19 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Nice! Think this is the time to use my $10 Amazon gift certificate. Now I only wish I could use the extra space to store my Napster music. :roll: lol...but that's been discussed. :wink:

Old 09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
NeutrinoQ
Neophyte
Default Pocket PC as a usb hard drive

Does anyone know if you can make a Dell Axim x5 or x30 work like a usb thumbdrive on a windows PC? In other words, is there any software out there that enable a pocket pc connected to a computer using a usb cable to show up as a physical or removable drive without the use of Activesync.

I would love to use the 1GB SD card in my Axim as well as use it as a portable drive to ferry files from home, school and work (like a usb drive, w/o the need for activesync)

Thanks

Old 09-09-2004, 10:30 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Re: Pocket PC as a usb hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutrinoQ
Does anyone know if you can make a Dell Axim x5 or x30 work like a usb thumbdrive on a windows PC? In other words, is there any software out there that enable a pocket pc connected to a computer using a usb cable to show up as a physical or removable drive without the use of Activesync.

I would love to use the 1GB SD card in my Axim as well as use it as a portable drive to ferry files from home, school and work (like a usb drive, w/o the need for activesync)

Thanks
Nope, unfortunately you can't. This seems to be being asked a lot recently...maybe Microsoft will do something like that in time for Longhorn.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
rudolph
Ponderer

The 2 GB SD cards are coming out soon. That must be why the 1GB is becoming so cheap now. The 2GB SD cards will have usb 2.0 speeds and although it won't make them much faster in Pocket PCs, it should make it faster to copy files onto the SD from your desktop (assuming you have a usb 2.0 card reader).

I was going to buy one but meh, I can live with my 256mb sd + 1gb cf. I'll get a 1GB sd or maybe 2gb sd (if they aren't expensive) when I get a VGA ppc later on.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Silencer
Pupil

Nice offer, but the problem is that they are SanDisks and therefore known not to work properly or only very slow in most PPCs. We made lot�s of tests in our german ppc-community, SanDisk always lacked performance.

Currently I�m holding my eyes on the Transcend 1 GB SD - almost as fast as Lexar (the ones from Japan) or the SanDisk Ultra II.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Shuushin
Pupil

SD prices have been dropping like greased PPC's - I expect them to continue to do so, especially with the larger caps coming out.

I expect most enthusiasts will have 128's, 256's and eventually 512's pretty much just collecting dust - SO

I HAVE AN INVENTION IDEA

IF you are smart, you will steal it and be rich.

Why can't there be such a thing that fits into an SD slot that is essentially an SD drive bay? One male tab into the PPC (etc.) and 3 or four female slots connected to that. Certainly must be a way to make a driver that will allow the various other cards to total up and become one virtual storage location.

What you think??

Old 09-09-2004, 11:52 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Here are some cheap CF prices

SanDisk 1GB CompactFlash Card
SAVE $618.00
FREE SHIPPING!
Buy.com price: $81.99
List price: $699.99
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...an0Epf0BhaE0Ce

SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
SAVE $306.60
FREE SHIPPING!
Buy.com price: $136.99
List price: $443.59
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/e...an0Epf0BhaF0Cf

Old 09-10-2004, 01:04 AM
nuka_t
Ponderer

Quote:

Thanks
buy a card reader, if i understand what you mean

in other news, im soooooooooo getting ithe 512. :lol: 8O

Edit: i bouth a 1 gig cf(which i will return in favour of the 512mb sd, cause my axim kinda sorta dosent have a cf slot, and neither does my camera) from costco for 67 dollars.

Edit Edit: oops, the cf is only 512mb.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:06 AM
sponge
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:

Thanks
Nope, unfortunately you can't. This seems to be being asked a lot recently...maybe Microsoft will do something like that in time for Longhorn.
No Longhorn needed - Palms have an app called Card Export which does exactly this, and shows up as a mass storage device. It's just a matter of software on the PPC.