Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Dave's iPAQ Glimpse Blue Dock

http://davesipaq.com/news/004015/iP...ssory_synospher

Every now and again, someone asks when a docking station will be released that will allow them to use their PPC with full sized keyboards, monitors etc. Up to this point it�s only been a nice idea, but it looks like you will soon be able to get your hands on such a device. Dave's iPAQ have obtained pre-manufacturing pictures of the 'Blue Dock'.

"The product can be described as an �Intelligent Docking Station� The new design has a interchangeable pocket which allows the BlueDock to support different devices or if you choose to upgrade your PDA the BlueDock will work with a new pocket inserted. At launch time several different PDA vendors will be supported. The BlueDock will support PPC2003 edition, Older Handhelds can be upgraded to 2003 for a nominal fee from the Manufactures website."

The manufacturer is called Synosphere and the Blue Dock comes with a 10/100 Ethernet connection, a USB port, SVGA monitor support (800X600) and a SD Slot (Non SDIO). They plan to do a limited release towards the end of this year. You can get more information and lots of pre-production pictures of the Blue Dock at the Synosphere website. NB, Dave's iPAQ seem to have more up to date images than the ones on the Synosphere Website, which is interesting. So, what do you reckon? Would this allow you to use your PPC as your primary computing platform as the manufactures claim, or is it a novelty gimmick that won't be of much use in the real world?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:25 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

From the Synosphere site:

Quote:
A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of iBIZ Technology Corp
:worried:

Old 09-06-2004, 04:49 AM
jimski
Philosopher

Back in my early Palm days, I ranted regularly (guess someone from Synosphere overheard me in some airport lounge) about the lack of a universal dock, with interchangable connectors that anyone could use to connect their PDA to; a larger display, keyboard & mouse, memory and external ports. I envisioned docks that would be available in kiosks at airports, for rental at hotels and who knows, maybe even at Starbucks. I thought this was a first big step in not needing to lug a heavy laptop around.

But now with VGA screens, mega memory cards and Bluetooth (finally) keyboards, I don't know if a device like this would have the value it might have once had. I think it's a few years late.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Spiral
Pupil

I doubt that they can sell it for a low enough price that it would be much more useful than a budget computer though...

Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 AM
bodab
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus

Quote:
I noticed that too. I mean, come on people, fooled me once shame on them, fooled me twice shame on me. PPCT shouldn't even mention products from that company. :evil:

Old 09-06-2004, 05:19 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus

Quote:
Funny, I was wondering if it could be used with a laser projection keyboard

Old 09-06-2004, 07:18 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Interesting...

I think this MIGHT work if someone wanted something smaller than a laptop and couldn't afford another computer for their desktop. They would also have to realize that they couldn't play desktop games...

I think 2 - 3 years ago, this could've worked. I'm not sure now.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
RobertS
Pupil

I had much the same reaction to this device as most of you...

When I first ran into the marketing info a year ago it seemed like a cool concept...now it seems like most of its functionality is handled by Bluetooth or software.

The fact that it is made by iBiz dramatically lowers the likelyhood it will be released, especially since the SEC have made public notice they are officially investigating iBiz's management team pending charges.

Add to that that the new design form first seen on Dave's site (as he said during his review of the once and future VKB, he has a very close relationship with iBiz). The old design looked sort of retro chic..this one looks like a Cylon's toaster.

So, anybody care to preorder it?

RobertS

Old 09-06-2004, 08:47 AM
carphead
Thinker

Now I can find a use for this. The USB port alone would be a major benifit provided it actually worked. BUT I'm having trouble accepting that all this can be done via a sync/docking port.

Can USB + Ethernet + SVGA all come out of a docking port? How are they going to manage that? When I've never seen a solution like it before?

Yea I've seen Ethernet Cradles for the older IPAQ 3000 series machines. But SVGA via a sync port? :?

I also like the way they used "Blue" when there's no bleutooth involved.

Are they going to release a Black, Red and Green dock as well? :?

Old 09-06-2004, 11:30 AM
dMores
Philosopher

maybe i didn't understand the concept of this thing.
but, what's the use if half the screen is not visible?

is it like a toaster that pops up the device to the appropriate height?