Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Little Sync Pro Sync/Charge Cable from Pocket PC Techs

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...=I38-LILSYNCP01

Pocket PC Techs sent me a few of their new Lil' Sync Pro cables, and I'm duly impressed! Physically, they're a little bit larger than most other sync 'n charge cables I have, but not by much (perhaps 2mm). The cable housing has a new plastic logo on it, which looks great, and the cable itself is thicker and feels very high quality. The mechanism to retract and extend the cable gave me no trouble - the whole unit feels very sturdy.

The real question, though, is how well it performed. I don't have every iPAQ the cable supports (iPAQ 17/19/22/38/39/41/43/51/54/55/6300 Series), but I gave it a go with what I did have, and here are the results (and my tests were particularly brutal as several of the units were dead):

iPAQ 2215: charged + sync no problem, came out of a hard reset
iPAQ 1945: charged + sync no problem, though the connector needed to be turned upside down
iPAQ 5500: when it was first coming up out of a hard reset, the screen kept going from bright to less bright, indicating that it wasn't sure if it was on battery power or AC power. After a few minutes of being connected it stabilized and charged properly. It also synched properly.
iPAQ 4350: would only charge when the power is off, would not sync ("USB device not recognized"). Very odd. Pocket PC Techs said it might be a ROM issue since they tested a 4350 with the latest ROM and it worked fine. I haven't upgraded the ROM yet, this is the original ROM.
iPAQ 4150: my wife has it so I can't test it yet. :-) My assumption is that it will work fine, but I'll update this when I test it.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Lil' Sync Cable - very high quality, feels sturdy, great for traveling, and best of all...I only need one cable for several devices!

Old 09-01-2004, 04:04 PM
pcraigmile
Neophyte
Default Some many ipaqs...

It nice that the cable can be used for a such large number of units..

Slightly off topic Jason, but which IPAQ do you find yourself using the most during your day to day life?

Old 09-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Some many ipaqs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcraigmile
Slightly off topic Jason, but which IPAQ do you find yourself using the most during your day to day life?
The 4150 is my all-time favourite iPAQ, but lately I've been using the X30. It's a great unit as well, but the design and ergonomics of the 4150 are simply untouched (IMO).

Old 09-01-2004, 04:59 PM
disconnected
Sage

I think the connector on the 5550 (mine at least) is its most problematic feature. Over my years of iPAQ usage I've collected about a dozen AC chargers, DC chargers, synch/charge cables, and extended battery chargers. Some use the hp dongle and some third party ones have that connector permanently attached. Gradually, most have stopped working with the iPAQ, even some of the hp ones. My synch/charge cable (don't remember the brand) synchs but doesn't charge. In the car it's now hard to use GPS because the DC cable connection only works intermittently, so the iPAQ gradually wears down its battery. Some of the connectors are obviously loose, but even the ones that appear to fit snugly have the problem. I wish hp had kept the separate power connection; that extra dongle is really unweildy and puts a lot of stress on the connection.
Actually, I'm hoping the problem will enable me to use my CompUSA tap to get a 4700.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:34 AM
mashtim
Intellectual

One cable for both my 5555 and 6315 !?!?!?! I am SO in!

I ASSume that the auto and ac adapters will work with this new iteration, correct?

Old 09-02-2004, 01:40 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Um, they're Lil' Sync cables, not Little Sync.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

It was my understanding that the 4000 series didn't play nice with sync and charge cables. :?: At least that was the story back when the 4150 was released last year.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I have a question for someone who owns a Dell X3 and X30. I have a Lil' Sync cable for my X30 which has imprinted Axim 3, UP. The up needs to be turned down on my X30. Are the connectors flipped between the X3 and X30 (like the HP1940 and every other iPAQ), or is the connector labelled wrong?

I like it and it works fine. I am just curious.

P.S. I have a ZipLinq Sync&Charge that works fine on my 4155 and 2215, though I have commented before on inconsistancies between USB ports, and the fact that I don't run my PPCs down too low. This is not to detract from PPCTechs excellent product, just an indication the Sync&Charge can work on 4155s.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Temporale
It was my understanding that the 4000 series didn't play nice with sync and charge cables. :?: At least that was the story back when the 4150 was released last year.
That's why this new one is bigger, thicker, and re-engineered to work with the more power-hungry units - it works with the 4150. :-)

Old 09-02-2004, 06:16 AM
spontaneous
Pupil

I pre-ordered it as soon as I heard it will be available. As for 4100 series not playing nice with the sync-n-charge cables, that's probably why there aren't any that works other than this one.
When my 4150 is less than half or so charged and you have both bluetooth and wifi enabled, it seemed like it doesn't charge. Charge light blinks fastter than normal. Maybe it's my laptop's USB port that cannot supply enough power?
Other than that, it works great. no more carrying around the cradle...