Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ rw6100 Pictures... But It's Korean-Only

http://www.technoa.co.kr/content/Vi...p?pPageID=55167

There are some great pictures of the iPAQ rw6100 from what appears to be a press event in South Korea. This sweet little device has a 520MHz XScale, WiFi and 1xEV-DO as well as a killer form factor.

There's an English translation of the article here (although it doesn't quite explain what the iPAQ "guy" is in the above picture. ) Unfortunately, Marc from iPAQabilities wrote in last week letting us know that this is going to be a Korean-only release. :| Why, HP? Verizon's about to release a 1xEV-DO network in North America, so couldn't it work here?

Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
surur
Mystic

Nice, but I think a keyboard leverages the PPC OS a lot better than a keypad.

Are the korean phone network incompatible with the US networks? If not, who not just bring it over and ask Verizon et al to activate it?

Surur

Old 08-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Are the korean phone network incompatible with the US networks? If not, who not just bring it over and ask Verizon et al to activate it?
The technology is the same, but I'm not sure the provisioning, etc. is, and there might be quirks using their phones. Plus, the phone's going to be in Korean...

--janak

Old 08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
jpjehu
Intellectual

I'm jealous - this has cosiderably more to offer than the 6300 IMO. I think this is the total package for a PPC Phone!

Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Based on the last picture, I wouldn't necessarily say it's got a "killer form factor".

If all that stuff can be squeezed into a 4100 series case or even better an Audiovox 4100 that would be a killer form factor.

Funny, the cartoon character next to the woman is a 1900/4100 series device!

Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual
Default We May See it Yet

It's too early to say for sure that the iPAQ rw6100 won't be released in the U.S. The Korean newspaper JoongAng Daily reports that if this model is successful in South Korea, it will be distributed in other countries.

As Janak points out, I suspect we may see it here after CDMA 2000 1x EvDO wireless networks are available in the U.S.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Plus, the phone's going to be in Korean...

--janak
I suspect if more people in the west could read the numerous asian languages, we would know a lot more of whats going on in the tech world. I've come across so many web pages with a product name embedded in paragraphs of taiwanese etc, with babelfish being completely unreadable.

Surur

Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

I agree thast this is more substantial than the 6100. i really do hope they consider brining this to the US market.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 PM
ignar
Thinker

Don't know how much this will cost if it comes to the States, but I believe it shows how much 6300 could have been better.
Still, I'm not going to get one since it's lacking in Bluetooth.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

What is it with cell phones in the States. I swear we are a like a technological backwater when it comes to cell phones. That being said, I agree with ignar...no bluetooth...no sale.

Unless...can an internet connection on the PDA be shared via WiFi to a laptop?