Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
lottathought
Neophyte
Default Noobie trying to network

I hope that I am not double posting this question but I have been looking for hours for a question directly to point and I have not found it.

Ok..I am the proud new owner of an Ipaq 2215.
I also purchased the Sandisk 128MB/WIFI combo.

My house computers are connected to the internet through Road Runner.
To be more exact.....
My cable modem plugs into my router.
I have a Linksys wireless router that also has the 4 ports in the back.

From the router, I have 2 desktop computers that are connected to the router via Cat5 cables from ports in the back of the router to the PC LAN cards.

I also have a laptop that I connect to the router via a wireless LAN card (802.11b)

My desktop computers and my laptop are already networked.
I have the files on each set to share and I can access any file on each computer...from each computer.

I have also already been able to access the internet via the wireless connection from my Sandisk WIFI card on the Ipaq...which is wirelessly interfacing with the Linksys router like the laptop.

What I can not do is access the files on the 3 computers from the Ipaq or access the files on the Ipaq from the computers...(other than syncing in the cradle....but that does not help me)

My desire is to be able to play video files on the Ipaq that are stored on the hard drives of the other computers.

I am also hoping that I will get a much faster download speed via the WIFI connection when I am trying to download a video or other large file from the PC to the Ipaq. The cradle can take 10 min or longer for 60MB.

In other words, I want to Network the Ipaq like I have the other computers networked.

How do I do this?
Is it possible with what I already have or do I need other software?
And I would prefer a free program to one that I have to buy if I do need another program.

Also..
On a side note.
I have no idea where to start on good software.
I have already found the DIVX converter program and I am running the Beta player to view theses videos on the Ipaq.
I am not a gamer and I have not installed anything else past the WIFI card.
I have access to news stories on PC's at work and at home already.
For somebody like me, what other good programs would you recommend to try?

And lastly, what free software will allow me to turn my screen from portrait to landscape when surfing the internet on the Ipaq?

Thanks in advance