Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Totally Unnecessary But Totally Fun!

Okay, so yesterday my wife looked out our kitchen window and saw me standing all alone in the middle of our neighbor's backyard. She came outside and, seeing that I had my Pocket PC in my hand, she politely asked, "Okay, what the heck are you doing NOW?"

Me: "I'm testing my new WiFi antenna reflector."
Wife: "Antenna WHAT?"
Me: "I tried my hand at making an antenna reflector for our wireless network so I can extend the reach of the signal."
Wife: "Didn't your antenna already reach to the four corners of our property?"
Me: "Yes."
Wife: "And how often do you figure you need to have wireless access while standing in the middle of our neighbor's yard? And, does our neighbor actually WANT you in his yard?"
Me [after long pause]: "You just don't get it."

This little conversation reminded me that it's been quite a while since we had a really good discussion of things we've done to push the limits of what our Pocket PCs can do. We call it the "W?BIC!" [Why? Because I Can!"] factor.

What kinds of geeky things have YOU done with your Pocket PC lately just because you can?

Old 08-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

:rotfl:

Old 08-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Well, I once ran as many multimedia programs as I could just to see how many audio channels I could run at the same time. PocketTV, Windows Media player, Real Player... I forgot how many I ran, but this definitely falls into the W?BIC! category.

Robb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Bates
Well, I once ran as many multimedia programs as I could just to see how many audio channels I could run at the same time. PocketTV, Windows Media player, Real Player... I forgot how many I ran, but this definitely falls into the W?BIC! category.

Robb
So....how many? :lol:

Old 08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
dodette
Pupil

I used it as a flashlight Friday night, when hurricane Charley knocked out our power. Oh, okay, I was really playing BounceOut, but I still used the pda's glow to walk over and find the flashlight and the candles.

And someone at Florida Power must have been using theirs for more professional purposes, because we got our power back within 14 hours...

Old 08-16-2004, 03:15 PM
capo
Ponderer
Default Y?BIC!

I listen to Live365.com, but they don't have a client for PPC. One afternoon I decided I wanted to listen to streaming audio while mowing the lawn. I tracked down a free audio player for PPC that would deal with Live365.com's stream, figured out the convoluted URL that would get me an authenticated (no ads) stream of my favorite station and got it going via WiFi on my iPaq 4155. A set of Sony in ear buds to play the music and drown out the mower racket and I was a happy guy.
Why go through all the hassle instead of just listening to my Dell DJ? I think you know the answer. :-)

Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Jereboam
Philosopher

Quote:
Me [after long pause]: "You just don't get it."
Hilarious...I can totally picture the look on your face....and empathise...

Thanks for the chuckle I am having one crappy day....

J'bm

Old 08-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Thaedson
Pupil

I was on vacation last week and place my Ipaq 5555 inside the Navman sleeve and then put the unit in a glad plastic bag with some of my son's floaty balls (kids pool toy). I then took the entire unit with me while JetSki'ing at the Lake of the Ozarks. (HEY ITS A BIG LAKE!!). All I had to do was mark the departure cove on the Favorites menu and I could tool wherever I wanted to without having to think about getting back to an unfamilar area.

My wife thought I was nuts.... /shrug.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
wocket
Thinker

Well ahem I was streaming music over my WiFi I headed off down the street with PDA in pocket and my headphones on just to see how far I could get.

And I got suprisingly far!

Old 08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
TheZodiac
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to TheZodiac Send a message via Yahoo to TheZodiac

Tossed it RIGHT down a flight of stairs after I got my Treo 600. Sorry folks.