Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon Finally Selling Bluetooth Phone

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...tedPhoneId=1570

In case you didn't notice, Verizon quietly released the Motorola V710, its first readily-available 1xRTT Bluetooth phone, last week.

I've been reading the boards for mini-reviews, and as far as I can tell, the biggest criticism is that it only supports a limited set of Bluetooth profiles -- primarily enabling headset and modem support -- and specifically not supporting OBEX. This is apparently to allow Verizon to maintain a monopoly on ringtones and other mini-addons (via their "Get It Now" service) for their phones. Nevertheless, if Bluetooth is what you've been waiting for on Verizon, now's the time to get it. 8)

Old 08-15-2004, 11:14 PM
mrkablooey
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to mrkablooey

glad i went with cingular and a v600. they let me use bluetooth as if i paid for it. :wink:

Old 08-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

One problem bluetooth has had is deviation from the standard. Many devices don't support or have problems supporting all profiles. I know the IEEE is starting to crack down on WiFi makers who support 802.11x and their brand specific protocols. Bluetooth is becoming less of a standard as they allow devices to deviate.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:51 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Ah, glad I switched to T-Mobile. Service is better (for me anyway), phone is cheaper, and free GPRS (for now anyway ).

Old 08-16-2004, 12:03 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

Yeah, I really don't get the OBEX disabling part. You can still add ringtones and those sort of things via a USB cable or one of those transflash cards. So you can still download to the phone, all they did was make it slightly more annoying. It makes no sense at all.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 AM
spontaneous
Pupil

I picked up v710 when it was released and been trying to transfer photos and ringtones through usb cable, but was not successful. As stated in the previous post, you can transfer the files using transflash card.(with SD adapter)
I love the phone, it's the best phone I've ever used. It's clear and voice dialing without having to train works great.
The fact that OBEX is interntionally disabled even though it's supported by the device quite upsets me though..

Old 08-16-2004, 02:20 AM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Price

What I simply can't believe is that they think that it's worth 250. I know it's a new phone and all, but when lower end phones have had this on other carriers for a while and Verizon and Motorola are treating it like Bluetooth is something shiney and new yet Verizon subscribers have been clamoring for it. I am going to save about 200 and go to T-Mobile and save 80-90 a month. Verizon.....at some point, the superior network is GOING to be moot. That time, for me, is now. BUH-BYE.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkon280
What I simply can't believe is that they think that it's worth 250. I know it's a new phone and all, but when lower end phones have had this on other carriers for a while and Verizon and Motorola are treating it like Bluetooth is something shiney and new yet Verizon subscribers have been clamoring for it. I am going to save about 200 and go to T-Mobile and save 80-90 a month. Verizon.....at some point, the superior network is GOING to be moot. That time, for me, is now. BUH-BYE.
New phones on Verizon's network are typically expensive. This is a pretty high-end phone for Verizon: it has a 1.3MP camera, to boot. Remember, this is the company that still charges $599 for an i700, $499 for an i600, and $449 for a Treo 600 -- and those are 2-year contract prices. If only their service wasn't so good. :|

--janak

Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmie
One problem bluetooth has had is deviation from the standard. Many devices don't support or have problems supporting all profiles. I know the IEEE is starting to crack down on WiFi makers who support 802.11x and their brand specific protocols. Bluetooth is becoming less of a standard as they allow devices to deviate.
This is a misconception :? . Manufacturers have to implement profiles in a standard way, but are not required to implement all profiles. The Bluetooth SIG only certifiy products that implement the profiles as defined by the standard, and there are frequent "Unplug Fest" where manufacturers can test interoperability of their devices with other manufacturer's devices.

Implementing a profile is optional and is purely a manufacturer decision. However some profiles require other profiles, for example the majority of current profiles will required Device Discovery, and so on. Most mobile phones will not implement OBEX File Transfer because mobile operators want to keep sucking $$$ out of users.

Some have very good functionality, like the Sony Ericsson Z1010 and K700.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 AM
tospappy
Ponderer
Default Is is express network AKA National access capable (1xrt)?

I read through the Verizon site and did not see any indication that the phone is National Access capable. Where is the spec on being 1xrt capable.

Thanks