Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Cover your Axim X3/X30 with a Krusell case

Product Category: Case
Manufacturer: Krusell
Where to Buy: 3edirect.com
Price: Handit case: �22, Classic case: �20
Specifications: Leather cases designed for the Dell Axim X3, X3i or X30.

Pros:
  • Classic case provides good snug fit with immediate access to the Axim's screen;
  • Handit case provides business-style protection with pockets for SD and credit or business cards;
  • Both cases incorporate the Multiadapt connector for flexible case mounting.
Cons:
  • Both cases suffer slightly from fitting problems;
  • Screen access at the edges in the Classic case is a bit tight.
Summary:
Two cases from Krusell, both in leather and both designed for the Axim X3/X3i/X30 range, and both at a very reasonable price. The Multiadapt feature allows the case to be used in various mounted situations from your belt to your bike to the inside of your car.

Read on for the full review!

Krusell Classic Case
The Classic Case is an all-enveloping case that presents the front of the X3 covered in a single plastic sheet that is stitched into the rest of the case. This has the added bonus of acting like a screen protector, although the plastic can be difficult to push through to the screen at the extreme edges of the display because of the way the screen is recessed slightly from the main case. It isn't a problem with the main display area. All of the X3's buttons are easily pressed through the plastic.

Getting the PDA into the case is a little tricky until you start getting used to it and until the case materials start to "give" a bit. That said, one of the biggest benefits of this case is its snug fit. It means that the Axim is well protected but not much bigger than its naked size.

Figure 1: The Classic case from the top.

The top of the case exposes the infrared port and the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth antenna as can be seen in Figure 1. It does, however, cover the memory card slot, which means that if you need to change the card, you have to remove the PDA from the case first. The stylus can be removed and inserted without any such restrictions, but it is easily dislodged when the PDA is removed from the case.

Figure 2: The Classic case from the bottom.

The alignment of the case with the port at the base of the PDA is not good, as you can see in Figure 2. I tried getting the Dell power adapter to connect through the case and it wouldn't stay in. Krusell either needs to forget about trying to make the socket available or make the hole in the case slightly larger. Although the case fits the X3 snugly, it isn't possible to fit it into the docking station like this, so you still need to remove the X3 from the case first.

Figure 3: The left-hand side of the Classic case.

On the left-hand side of the case, you've got access to the headphone socket and the scroll wheel. The rear of the case, as shown in Figure 4, has holes in the case for the speaker and also Krusell's patent pending Multiadapt fitting. More on this later on in the review.

Figure 4: Classic case rear.

My wife has been using the Classic case with her Axim, mainly at weekends when she carries her PDA in a bumbag. For her, the benefits of this style of case are that the PDA will be protected and yet she doesn't have to open the case or get the PDA out of the case in order to use it. This case is also smaller than the slip case that you get with the Axim.

Krusell Handit Case
The Handit Case is aimed more at the business type of PDA user. The case is of the folding variety as can be seen in Figure 5. The front cover has internal slots for two MMC cards and three credit card style slots. The front cover is padded on the outside, giving it a slight but attractive bulge. It uses a snap clasp to hold the case closed. There are two popper positions on the rear of the case, allowing the case to accommodate quite a few cards.

Figure 5: Inside the Handit case.

The Axim is a good fit inside the case, simply sliding in from the top. As you can see from Figure 5, all of the application buttons on the X3 are easily accessed through the case. The leather wraps itself around the PDA and the case does not provide any protection for the screen. One slight problem I had with the case, which you might just be able to see at the bottom of Figure 5, was that the lower part of the case didn't hold itself flush against the PDA - it bowed slightly. This can also been seen in Figure 6 where I've taken a photo of the side of the case. It isn't an extreme problem by any stretch of the imagination, but it isn�t a great fit either.

Figure 6: Slight raised edge near the buttons.

As the case folds over the top of the Axim, it covers up both the memory slot and the infrared emitter, as you can see in Figure 7. That isn't a problem at all, though, since you have to open the case when you want to use the PDA, at which point both features become available again. The Bluetooth/Wi-Fi stub is exposed, as is the stylus.

Figure 7: The top of the Handit case.

With the case open, the socket at the bottom of the Axim is exposed. This allows the Dell power adapter to be plugged in securely. I have also been using the Axim in its case whilst sitting connected to the folding keyboard. It isn't possible to place the Axim into the docking unit whilst in the case.

Figure 8: Bottom of the Handit case.

As with the Classic case, the headphone socket and scroll wheel are accessible through a cut-out in the case, as shown in Figure 9.

Figure 9: Left-hand side of the Handit case.

As Figure 10 shows, the rear of the case has holes for the speaker and the Multiadapt fitting.

Figure 10: Rear of the Handit case.

I've been using the Handit case with my Axim both at work and at home. The smart appearance of the case fits in well with wearing a suit. I've been using the belt clip (see below for more on the adapters) which leaves the Axim to swing free from my belt. This makes it easy to drive with the PDA clipped to my belt since it just rests out of the way.

The Multiadapt system

Figure 11: A multitude of adapters.

The basis of this system is a mating plate that is sewn into the case. This mating plate has a connecting point for a lanyard and it will also take any of the lower three adapters shown in Figure 11. The left-most one of these, the smallest one, is a male adapter that then provides a secure mounting point for adapters like the upper three adapters shown. These are, from left to right, a sticky or screw-mounted holder, a small belt clip and a larger belt clip. For all three, you slide the male adapter into the receiving slot and it locks into place. Press buttons on the holder then retract a pin that allows the adapter to come free again.

For me, and I know a lot of their customers, this is an attractive feature of Krusell's cases. The same holder will mate with all of their cases which means that once you've invested in a particular holder, it will serve you well in the future. It should be noted that neither case comes with any adapters. They need to be bought individually and separately, but they will fit any other Krusell case with the Multiadapt feature.

One slight problem I did have whilst wearing my Axim on my belt was that, on a couple of occasions, I knocked the Axim sideways on with a bag that was on my shoulder. What happened next was that the male adapter sheared off one of its edges, thus causing the case to come free from the holder. There is a good and a bad point about this. The good point is that a small piece of plastic sacrificed itself in order to protect the case and the holder from breaking under that sideways force. The bad point, though, is that my Axim dropped to the ground on both occasions. Luckily the case protected it :-). I should point out that this was not a common occurrence at all and was largely due to me not watching where I was going and causing my bag to shift position.

Conclusions
Cases are a highly subjective issue - a bit like choosing between different applications that do similar functions. Both the Classic and Handit cases do their job of protecting the Axim very well. Neither are a wonderful fit for the PDA, but then I've also bought Dell's own "executive" case and it is a terrible fit! The Multiadapt feature gives the cases a level of flexibility in use that isn't readily encountered elsewhere and the price of the cases won't break the bank.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:26 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

I use a Krusell case with my 1915. Fantastic case. Perfect fit, easy to use in the case, great quality leather... and an absolutely fantastic beltclip.

I've used quite a few cases, and the multidapt with a beltclip is one of the best systems I've used. I can even quickdraw with it, much to the amusement of my colleagues

Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 PM
mrkablooey
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to mrkablooey

I bought a Handit case for my X30 high and like it a lot better than the Belkin I originally bought for twice the price for my 2215 last year. I'm still not a huge fan of cases at all, really... I'll probably go back to the slip case that came with it. Only problem with that is I prefer the belt-clip style of this case vs the free slip case. But whatever, to each their own, I guess. The price is great at AximCases.com--I think I paid $16 plus shipping?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:46 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Krusell Case

I purchased a Krusell Case for my Imate. When I saw the price ($19.95 plus shipping), I just knew it was going to be some kind of flimsy plastic like the case that came with it. I was presently surprised! It was even lined.

What I especially love about it is the snap enclosure that can be unsnapped and lowered to use the camera while still in the case. I found it here:

http://zxpro.com/catalog/category_28...Mate_Qtek.html

Old 09-11-2004, 09:48 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage
Default Re: Krusell Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawanag
I was presently surprised! It was even lined.
The expression you're looking for would be 'pleasantly' surprised. ;-)

Yeah, so far I haven't heard anything negative about Krusell - here or elsewhere. My next case will definitely be a Krusell

Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Re: Krusell Case

[quote="bjornkeizers"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawanag
I was presently surprised! It was even lined.
The expression you're looking for would be 'pleasantly' surprised. ;-)

You're right! My fingers don't always follow my mind when typing.