Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default FCC Approves Verizon Version Of XDA III/MDA III/CU928

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...=\'NM8HARRIER\'

A CDMA version of the XDA III/MDA III/CU928, also known as the "HTC Harrier" OEM Pocket PC Phone, looks like it's going to be sold by Verizon, as a Verizon-branded version was just approved by the FCC.

From the manual, it's listed as being a dual-band 800/1900MHz CDMA (presumably no analog) device having a 400MHz PXA263 XScale, 128MB, QVGA, 640x480 VGA camera, retractable QWERTY thumbboard and Bluetooth. Previous announcements of similar HTC units also suggest WiFi, although it's not listed in the brief documentation. If Verizon keeps Bluetooth and WiFi on this thing, I can safely say that this will be my next Pocket PC Phone.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:21 AM
David C
Intellectual

Looks like this is the same device that Spint will carry. It is going to branded by Audiovox. Last time I talke to the Audiovox rep, there is no wifi, only Bluetooth.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C
Looks like this is the same device that Spint will carry. It is going to branded by Audiovox. Last time I talke to the Audiovox rep, there is no wifi, only Bluetooth.
Interesting. :| There's always something missing, isn't there?

I get the feeling that the Sprint version will be branded Audiovox, but not the Verizon version... but we'll see.

--janak

Old 08-10-2004, 03:39 AM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy

I'll have to go with the GSM version (or what for the MDA IV, rumored for early next year with a better processor and VGA screen), TMobile's free unlimited GPRS is the only internet plan I can afford to stomach..

What's Verizon and Sprint's data plans costing (for unlimited) these days anyways?

-arebelspy

Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 AM
SteveNYC
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy
What's Verizon and Sprint's data plans costing (for unlimited) these days anyways?
Verizon's unlimited data plan is $45/month with a qualifying voice plan of $39/month or more. Otherwise, it's $50/month.

Also, the unlimited data plan includes Verizon's new Wireless Sync offering which is pretty sweet.

Not cheap by any stretch. But hey... if you want a signal..... :mrgreen:

Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 AM
tourdewolf
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to tourdewolf

It's not the data plan that is the problem, for me it is justifying the cost of this thing, based on MDA II prices this thing will be the same price as a new Tablet PC. Granted I will probably find a way to pony-up but good grief it seems the sky's the limit on these MDA phones. How much should we have to pay to carry one, instead of two devices? I mean a 4155 is going for ~329 and with contract a SE T616 is giving ~150 back into our pocket making the cost of the setup lest than 200 for basically the same functionality. Convienence is a choice commodity it seems. <climbs down from soap box> :roll:

Old 08-10-2004, 04:01 AM
shanipaqman
Pupil
Default sprint in the running

Do you guys honestly think Sprint will pull off a new pocket pc phone/pda?

I've been waiting forever, and don't care what it's missing, as long as I can combine what I'm doing now into a "decent" pda/phone.

What are your thoughts on how long it will take before we see something like this hit the market?
thanks

Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: sprint in the running

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanipaqman
Do you guys honestly think Sprint will pull off a new pocket pc phone/pda?
I hope so! I have no confirmations, though, for either carrier... yet. This is just one step towards an official announcement.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on how long it will take before we see something like this hit the market?
Rumors for Verizon have said before the end of the year. Some have even said September. But at this point, I think it's too early to get a definitive date, and Verizon is notorious for letting release dates slip.

--janak

Old 08-10-2004, 04:06 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNYC
Not cheap by any stretch. But hey... if you want a signal..... :mrgreen:
1xRTT is also fast. It makes a night-and-day difference from GPRS. That said, Verizon is typically the "expensive" provider amongst all the US carriers.

--janak

Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 AM
hopeful797
Pupil

any word on if it will support blackberry messages?