Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default HP Information About SE Upgrade Policy, End-Of-Life For Existing iPAQs

Two useful articles have cropped up on the Web today that existing and future iPAQ owners should probably glance at:
  • Dave's iPAQ has an update from HP regarding their Second Edition update policies. There's news about the iPAQ 6315 (it almost definitely won't have Second Edition), ROM sizes (SE is much larger than FE), what features HP provides instead of SE, and much, much more. One useful quote:
Quote:
<b>Will HP update the current shipping products in the future with new Windows Mobile releases?</b><br /><br />HP cannot make assurances of future ROM image updates that provide enhancements to Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003. HP�s goal is to maintain a quality product release and provide resolutions to issues on existing ROM images while releasing new iPAQ products with the latest offerings from Microsoft. HP evaluates each release provided from Microsoft and determines the value and quality of that release before making the decision to invest in developing the enhancement of a ROM image for existing products. HP must also weigh the amount of development time required to complete a new release for handheld devices with the timing of future HP and Microsoft updates.
<ul><li> BargainPDA has <a href="http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2167">useful information</a> on end-of-life dates for existing iPAQs. Interestingly, the iPAQ 2215 is not scheduled to be discontinued until December 2005 -- latest amongst all existing models. 8O Is that a typo!?</ul>

Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 PM
PPCRules
Thinker
Default Re: HP Information About SE Upgrade Policy, End-Of-Life For Existing iPAQs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Interestingly, the iPAQ 2215 is not scheduled to be discontinued until December 2005 -- latest amongst all existing models. 8O Is that a typo!?
In my eyes, the 2215 does not have a replacement in the current crop of new devices, so if HP realizes that, they will support it longer.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 PM
JPack
Pupil

It's not a typo, I've seen the same slides. :wink:

The reason is, the hx2700 isn't coming until next year. Until then, the h2200 is still quite popular and has a large base of enterprise users.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 PM
rpommier
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to rpommier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPack
It's not a typo, I've seen the same slides. :wink:

The reason is, the hx2700 isn't coming until next year. Until then, the h2200 is still quite popular and has a large base of enterprise users.
What is the 2700?

Some things just bug me... I know this has been beat to death, but... What it the fascination with SD? It's more expensive and slower than CF. I'm sorry it doesn't add THAT much bulk to a unit. My 2215 is svelt enough.

If they want to save room, move the SD to a SIM card like position under the battery like the old N-Gage did. I never remove my SD card.

The only thing keeping me from an Axim is the lack of CF slot...

Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Interesting that there is no 2nd edition upgrade planned for the 6300 series. I guess HP doesn't think anyone wants to use landsapce for surfing the web, which is a primary purpose for owning this device. :microwave: At least now I have one less converged device to consider. :roll:

I can understand on those devices with 32 MB ROM why HP decided not to upgrade, if the 2nd edition really is "that" much bigger, but that doesn't explain away the decision on the 5500 series, with its 64 MB ROM.

Sounds to me like HP took a look at WMSE and said, bah, there is nothing but bloat here. We ain't doing this just so a few enthusiasts can hold their device sideways. :evil: Let them eat cake!!

I just think it sets a bad precedent, especially on the higher-end devices, and does give me cause to consider which manufacturer to purchase from, though they all seem to be guilty of these types of decisions from time to time.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
though they all seem to be guilty of these types of decisions from time to time.
That one statement should not be taken lightly be anyone. The decisions are made on a case by case basis and past performance is no indication of future potential. Those that have before, haven't this time, and some that didn't last time, did this time. Buy a PPC for what it is, not what it might become, and you have no reason to be upset if the OEM chooses not to upgrade it.

Personnally the only way I'd be hacked is if HP started shipping 2215s with SE on them and didn't provide an upgrade path for current users. That's an example BTW, not a specific.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

And yet no more then a few months ago both HP and Dell were spitting these ROM images out at a developer conf. Sure they weren't optimized and were rough around the edges. But...I�ve heard this song and dance before. Sweet. I�ve been looking for a chance to use this term all week. Thought I would get a chance at work but this'll do.

I�ve got a strong sense of deja moo with these articles. Obviously the OEM would rather make a sale then a cheapy upgrade. MOOOO.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:40 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

Just wade through the drivel and read the words that count. They're telling you in the strongest terms you'll ever hear from a marketing team that there will be no more upgrades on any HP Pocket PCs now or in the future. They couldn't be clearer (for marketing types).

Quote:
HP�s goal is to maintain a quality product release and provide resolutions to issues on existing ROM images while releasing new iPAQ products with the latest offerings from Microsoft.
So their 'goal' is to only release service updates to existing products and to put new OS's in new products. There it is; at least they've come out and said so.

I've always agreed with Sven on this... you shouldn't buy a PPC with any expectation beyond what it will do today. But Compaq was great about it and we all came to somewhat expect it. Now with the new HP, there's no excuse for any consumer to be confused on this issue; no more upgrades.

On the positive side, there'll be no excuse next time for all the whining when they yet again don't release an upgrade to WM2005 for the hx4705. Also at that time, you'll be able to put to bed for good the excuse that 'it's too big for the ROM' and recognize that they'd really just prefer that you buy a new device for $650 than that you send in $30 for an upgrade. If they weren't marketing people and if they did just speak plain English, that's what they'd say.

Old 07-31-2004, 04:03 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
Interesting that there is no 2nd edition upgrade planned for the 6300 series. I guess HP doesn't think anyone wants to use landsapce for surfing the web, which is a primary purpose for owning this device. :microwave: At least now I have one less converged device to consider. :roll:

I can understand on those devices with 32 MB ROM why HP decided not to upgrade, if the 2nd edition really is "that" much bigger, but that doesn't explain away the decision on the 5500 series, with its 64 MB ROM.

Sounds to me like HP took a look at WMSE and said, bah, there is nothing but bloat here. We ain't doing this just so a few enthusiasts can hold their device sideways. :evil: Let them eat cake!!

I just think it sets a bad precedent, especially on the higher-end devices, and does give me cause to consider which manufacturer to purchase from, though they all seem to be guilty of these types of decisions from time to time.
32MB not enough?

Dude Toshiba has a SE update out for the E400 and that one has 16mb ROM.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM
alexkro
Neophyte

Bastards! Those explanations are just lame! Windows Mobile 2003 SE is larger than WM2003? Give me a break! It's based on the same core (Windows CE .NET 4.2). Some components are revamped, but that's it there is to it. The new version Windows CE 5.0 is larger, I can understand that, but not 4.2.

My take on this: HP engineers couldn't get it working. Simple as that. The project to provide updates was underway, that's why they kept holding the announcement. But then something happened and they cancelled it. Too bad. I was really hoping they can make it. As an owner of iPaq 2215 I'm really disappointed.

I know where HP is going. They introduced a plethora of new models but at the same time they dumped users of the existing devices. Now I'm thinking whether I should switch to Toshiba with my next purchase of the Pocket PC. They seem to have a better record supporting their customers.