Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default PocketPCTechs: New 128mb Upgrade Goodness for Asus A716

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Servic....asp?type=asus7

"We are pleased to announce that we have developed and released a 64MB to128MB upgrade for the ASUS MyPal A716 Series Pocket PC. This memory upgrade does NOT require our proprietary driver and is fully recognized by the OS (119MB Available for system vs 55MB for the std 64MB unit). This unit uses BGA memory, so stacking is not available and 128MB will be the maximum capacity."

PocketPCTechs strikes again! I'm assuming that the lack of a proprietary driver means that 100% of the space will be immediately available even after a hard reset, which is pretty handy. The usual disclaimers apply for this upgrade: it'll void your ASUS warranty, but you'll get a 90 day warranty from PPCTechs on the memory and the motherboard. The cost is $159 including 2nd day return shipping in the US, with European orders handled through Expansys.com. 8)

Old 07-24-2004, 07:03 PM
surur
Mystic

Yaaeaahh!!!

This gives hope for a 3rd party solution to the Mpx nightmare. I wonder if there is any architectural similarities between the Asus and the Mpx which will make this easier.

Surur

Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 PM
MOrtenstein
Pupil

Hm... just wondering:

European Solution through Expansys... from their website "This memory upgrade does require our proprietary driver and is segmented..."

while on the PocketPCTechs Homepage it says "This memory upgrade does NOT require our proprietary driver and is fully recognized by the OS"

Now what?? Isn't the European site just a reseller of PocketPCTechs stuff??? So where is the difference and why is there any?

Or did I miss somethingt? :?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Expansys merely resell the PPCTechs product. They frequently make glaring errors in their listings...!

Old 07-24-2004, 11:07 PM
MOrtenstein
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Expansys merely resell the PPCTechs product. They frequently make glaring errors in their listings...!
But this is not just en error! There is a major difference between the two "products".

Hm... wasn't going to spend that much money anyways... the A730 has enough memory and I may sell my A716 to get one

Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrtenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
But this is not just en error! There is a major difference between the two "products".
All that's happened is that Expansys have cut and paste text fom elsewhere without checking it.

Quote:
Hm... wasn't going to spend that much money anyways... the A730 has enough memory and I may sell my A716 to get one
Or one of those nice Loox 720s... (what, biased, me...?!)

Old 07-26-2004, 06:54 PM
LWesson
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOrtenstein
Hm... just wondering:

European Solution through Expansys... from their website "This memory upgrade does require our proprietary driver and is segmented..."

while on the PocketPCTechs Homepage it says "This memory upgrade does NOT require our proprietary driver and is fully recognized by the OS"

Now what?? Isn't the European site just a reseller of PocketPCTechs stuff??? So where is the difference and why is there any?

Or did I miss somethingt? :?
No you did not miss something. Expansys cut and pasted from the wrong unit. I'll have the listing fixed.