Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Dell Releases Bluetooth Folding Keyboard for $99

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5153.html

"The Dell executive keyboard is a rebranded Think Outside Stowaway Wireless Keyboard, which communicates with the handheld via Bluetooth and includes a detachable stand to hold the handheld. The stand can hold the handheld in either portrait or landscape rotation, as the Axim X30 supports screen rotation courtesy of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Because the Axim is capable of using both its Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios simultaneously, that allows the user to connect the keyboard and surf the net or respond to e-mail simultaneously. The keyboard will sell for $99 USD, less than direct from Think Outside."

I'm both happy and disappointed about this. Happy because it's $50 cheaper than what Think Outside is asking for the same unit, and disappointed because it's a rebranded Think Outside unit, which means no number row. I was hoping that Darfon could somehow cram BT into their folding keyboard, but alas, that time is not yet upon us. Still, for $99, I might pick one up anyway. How about you? Tempted? :mrgreen:

Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

If the stand's included I'm getting one tomorrow. I think $50 dollars covers the lack of a numbers row. Hmm... As soon as i get my iPaqs replaced and repaired I wonder...

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I won't upgrade until I get a number row...

Old 07-22-2004, 05:16 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

Why can't Dell ever create their own products. It's always a rebranded item. And on top of that a keyboard without a number row :? Come now...

$99 isn't a bad price but it doesn't make up for the lack of a number row.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 AM
IIIsynthtaxIII
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to IIIsynthtaxIII

dumb question, but where are the numbers and are they difficult to use? seems to me that the lack of a number row allows it to be smaller, which sounds good to me if you are still able to use numbers without it being a huge hassle...

Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

The numbers are on the top "qwerty" row. You have to hit the function key + the correct # every time you want to type a number. :evil:

Old 07-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

The FCC approval manual was posted a while back when the original Think Outside bluetooth keyboard was released last month. It was clearly evident back then that this keyboard would be based off the Think Outside... now we know it's true.

$99 isn't bad at all. That's how much I usually pay for my keyboards. Now, I wonder if this keyboard will work on other PocketPCs....

Old 07-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Is this Dell keyboard exclusively restricted to be used by Dell PPCs only?

EDIT: Whoops, I just saw this.

Quote:
Now, I wonder if this keyboard will work on other PocketPCs....
Anyway, I'm sure someone out there will know.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Funny no-one picked up on this when I mentioned it a week ago

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=29900

My only concern would be what drivers are supplied. The Think Outside site indicates very wide support. I don't know if Dell would invest the time in crippling the drivers to only work with Dell and sell it cheaper or not. Hope somebody finds out, but I bet it will be from a preview. Think Outside is still saying order by 31 July for free shipping, so that implies they aren't shipping yet to me. Anyone got a production retail one?

Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
The numbers are on the top "qwerty" row. You have to hit the function key + the correct # every time you want to type a number. :evil:
That sucks big time. :evil: :evil: :evil: More work just to get a number. That's a big price to pay just for a smaller device.