Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default WebIS Money: New, Shiny, FREE (With Purchase)

http://www.pocketinformant.com/p_money.php

"WebIS Money is an innovative entry-level finance application for the Pocket PC. Its purpose is to be simple, easy to use, and accurate for basic checkbook activities. Version 1.0 provides all of that and more. It does all the basics including multiple accounts, categorized transactions and transaction reconciliation as well as more advanced functions like Pie charts and Bar charts of your expenses. Furthermore, you can import and export your Quicken� data via QIF files to keep your information up to date with a desktop finance app. For example, you can enter transactions during the day and then import them into your finance app at the end of day."

I like things that are free. 11th car wash free? Punch my card, good sir. Third scoop free? Load up my cone, Baskin-Robbins. Free, good lookin' Money Manager with purchase of Pocket Informant? Yes, please! I've been using this for the last several days, and I have to say that I'm impressed. The UI and graphics are top-notch, it doesn't take up much program memory, and it's fast. I'd like to see the number of required taps per entry reduced, but hey, it's a 1.0 free release.

If you don't own Pocket Informant, you can pick up WebIS Money for a trifling $5 at Handango. [Affiliate] Has anyone tried this? How do you think it stacks up against Cash Organizer 2004 Deluxe, Pocket Quicken, Mastersoft Money, etc.?

Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

I'll be writing a review on this soon, but here are my initial impressions:

1) This program has a lot of potential. It has a very nice looking interface and great reporting features.
2) There are some "essential" missing features. For example, a default category list is not provided. You have to create your own categories from scratch.
3) There's also a few interface quirks. For example, you can't use a standard input method to jot down a payment or a date. Instead, you have to use the on screen calendar and keypad.

WebIS intends on developing this program further, so I'm sure we'll see the small problems ironed out. As an SPB Finance user, I can see how WebIS is going to be making the competition sweat..

Old 07-16-2004, 04:19 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I downloaded this yesterday 8) and I'm getting ready to install it now. I'll try to report back my findings.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 AM
jt3
Ponderer

I use Ilium Software's "Keep Track" for my checkbook register, and I love it. Does anyone know how this program stacks up against that one?

Old 07-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Jacob
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Mahdavi
2) There are some "essential" missing features. For example, a default category list is not provided. You have to create your own categories from scratch.
This is somewhat irritating, but it can import categories from a QIF file.

It looks good - except there's no budgetting!! The graphing is good, but no option to just choose this month in some graphical views.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:32 AM
alex_kac
Thinker

Budgeting is the #2 priority on our list for 2.0. That's all I can say. Oh, and the budgeting should be one of the most powerful of any app - desktop or PPC. At least if the person speccing it has anything to do with it (not me...who hates budgets).

Old 07-16-2004, 08:57 AM
pkbdeb
Pupil
Default Currencies?

Do you know if it handles multiple currencies?

Old 07-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Techtoys
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Techtoys

The feature I really need is fully predictive spending analysis.

Basically, whenever I reach for my charge card, I need the iPaq to chime loudly and say 'No!'... :wink:

A link into the automatic doors on most stores to stop them opening for me would be good too.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:27 AM
LightMan
Pupil

I'd love to have a go at it, but there is no trial? :roll:

Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 AM
jsnielsen
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to jsnielsen Send a message via MSN to jsnielsen

Well, I have to say, I was a bit annoyed by the release of Money 1.0 Just a few days before, I'd bought SPB Finance, and until now, I haven't been using any of the really advanced features, so I think I would've just used WebIS' product and waited for the 2.0. Since I own both Mail and PI, it wouldn't have cost me a thing :|

Anyway, I think it has lots of potential. I don't mind the lack of default categories, I always delete them all and do my own anyway.

What I WOULD like to see, are these features:

- Budgeting
- Text on the buttons. It can be quite confusing to use a program with only graphical representation of its functions. You spend a lot of time going "hmm, wonder what this button does ?!?".
- Support for currency. E.g. I'm Danish, so I enter my values in DKK. But I often buy software through Handango or PocketGear. What would be real nice is either online support for current currency values. So you always have a current value of currency. Or, you choose which currency the value entered is in, and it converts to your local currency, based on a value you enter yourself.

Other than that, I think it's a real nice app. I tried exporting my data from spb finance to a qif file yesterday, and then imported it into Money.

Well... it imported it allright... but the data were kinda f00ked up Completely wrong values all over.

I'm looking forward to 2.0, and to check the improvements