Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-25-2004, 12:18 AM
billbuckner
Ponderer
Default Ever recommended a Palm?

I've recommended a Palm once, yesterday. Guy I knew needed a PDA for basic PIM apps. I saw a Clie marked "Last one, $80" so I got it.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:38 AM
serpico
Intellectual

Not anymore. I just switched from years of being a palm user and picked up my first pocketpc last week. How could I recommend a palm to someone after the trouble I went through with my last one and many others around me. I believe their desktop software needs help now, the latest killed any hope of having more than one successful sync a day. I was surprised that everyone around me was having the same problems both on windows and mac osx platforms. The pocketpc just does so much more that ones who use the basic PIM apps, will be excited to know they can listen to music or watch short videos very easily.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:28 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

Recommend a palm to a friend, and in return, receiving a very bad karma and spending eternity in hell ?

Why would I want to do that ? :mrgreen:

Old 06-25-2004, 01:48 AM
dh
Mystic

A few years ago I recommended a Palm to myself and I bought a Vx. For the time it was just great. I used every day for ages and it never did a thing wrong.

For anyone wanting something to use as a simple organiser, I'd still suggest a Palm if the potential user wanted something as simple as possible. Of course I'd recommend a PPC for someone who would be interested in more advanced features and a Zaurus if they were looking for adventure.

I'm a great believer in getting what works best for the particular person, rather than saying one OS is better than the others.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:17 AM
buckyg
Thinker

I agree with dh, recommend what's best for the person who will use it. Yes, I did recommend a Palm about a year or so ago. It was to a family member who just wanted a simple organizer. There were some Palms and PPCs side by side. He was impressed by the PPC but I could tell it was just too much and he'd be frustrated with it.

Now, for my more tech-savvy friends and colleagues...

Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 AM
milkman dan
Intellectual

I don't hate anyone enough to reccomend a palm

Old 06-25-2004, 02:36 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Of course. I have some very high tech friends whose dog needed a new chew toy :wink:

I agree with dh too. There are some folks that just don't need the power in their pocket that a PPC can give them. The basic Palm OS still does what it does, well.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:03 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

I have recommended both PPCs and Palm devices to people in different circumstances.

My general feeling is that for the user that wants PIM functions mainly then the Palm is the way to go. It is easier to use as there are less things to tinker with. In fact, at the moment, my main PDA is a Zire 72.

For the more "technical" user the PPC is what I recomend. You can do lots more with a Pocket PC. Also, given the nature of many corporate environemnts, it's not always easy to not recommend Microsoft.

In my opinion the the Palm is like a Mac. Turn it on and off you go. The PPC is a bit more like a PC. More stuff to fiddle with.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Of course, I'd recommend a Palm if that kind of device meets the person's needs better. It used to be that price was a real differentiator, but that's not the case anymore. It also used to be the case that some of the best physician programs (like ePocrates) was only available for Palms. Now, that issue has gone away, too.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:07 AM
tanalasta
Thinker

Just recommended a Palm to a friend today. For pure medical applications, stability and ease of use: Palm is the way to go. Most of my colleagues have palms. I know many a pocketpc user who has gone back to Palm after having countless resets, hard-resets, frozen and ultimately broken devices.

Me? I want an IPAQ 4xxx