Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default New Fuel Cell Technology to Possibly Power Pocket PCs at Some Point In the Future (Maybe)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7932727738437927/

You'll notice that my headline is a bit guarded, for several good reasons. While this both looks and sounds cool, it won't actually be available to consumers any time soon, and you'll need to buy methanol refills. It's also pretty bulky, but admittedly nothing like Hitachi's "Hernia-O-Matic" fuel cell PDA. For those of you who are more technically inclined, here's what the company says about how their technology works:

"The Mobion� technology architecture uses a proprietary approach which manages the water flow internal to the fuel cell with no pumping required. By eliminating the need for cumbersome water management �micro-plumbing�, Mobion� technology can result in several key and distinct advantages for OEM system designers and end consumers, including:

� Powerful � longer run times between charges
� Manufacturable � less system complexity, small and light enough for handheld devices
� Affordable � utilizes many existing, proven and highly available materials

Oh, and here's another one of those little catch thingies (emphasis mine): "[The MTI Mobion technology] represents a number of scientific breakthroughs that the Company believes will ultimately enable it to power portable devices 2 to 10 times longer than an equivalent size battery pack, while allowing for instant, cord-free re-charging." I don't know about you, but my "Weasel Sense" is tingling. So while it's theoretically possible that their fuel cell could last 10 times longer than an equivalent battery, they're not really sure. In the same spirit of this statement, I'll make my own prediction: All PDAs will be powered by Moon Monkeys at some point in time. I feel comfortable making this statement because the kinetic energy of Moon Monkeys has yet to be accurately measured.

Space simians aside, we HAVE been hearing about fuel cells for a while now, and this one DOES go the extra mile by showing something that integrates with an existing Pocket PC. Now that we've seen it, I think we need to ask if we're willing to go to a store to pick up a replacement/recharge cell. In my opinion, that's a step backward; I did that with my Casio E-10 5 years ago, thanks. What's your take? If you could get a fuel cell that lasts 10 times longer than your current Li-Ion battery, BUT you had to buy a replacement every few weeks, would you do it?

Old 06-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Dermot81
Intellectual

I hate things that have to be replaced.

Then I will always be thinking about conserving battery life so I don't have to go out and buy a new cell to replace it.

No thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: New Fuel Cell Technology to Possibly Power Pocket PCs at Some Point In the Future (Maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
...Moon Monkeys ...
:lol: Very good.

That's an interesting point about fuel cells I had not considred before. :?

Hmmm, I really like digital photography because I don't need to buy film. Ironic if the 'future' would be buying consumables for PDAs. I think we'll be hearing more about fuel cells in the future.......

Old 06-21-2004, 09:34 PM
sundown
Theorist

Hmmm, well what if there were convenient methanol refill stations in airports and at Starbucks. It probably wouldn't take that big a blast of methanol to refill and maybe it could be quarter-fed. Drop a coin into a small refill station and bam, you have 4 more hours. That's not too bad. But if I have to go to the store and buy canisters, no thanks. Unless I could use the battery re-charger also.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
maximum360
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to maximum360

No thanks.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

I truly believe that fuel cell technology will be the next big thing. Battery technology just can't keep up with the constantly increasing power that our devices today demand.

Yes, fuel cell technology will require "refills," and I think fuel cell technology will not catch on unless the batteries last SIGNIFICANTLY longer than existing batteries. Even 10 times longer isn't enough. What about a fuel cell battery that can power a laptop for a few months? Yes, it sounds absurd now, but I have a feeling that the technology will mature over the next couple years. Only then will buying refills be worth the extra expense, imo.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I agree, Fuel Cells are the wave of the future. 8)

What about having refill ability at home? This would require tanks of flamable gas/liquid, but it might work. That way, we could drop our devices into the cradle and have the fuel topped off.

And I'm sure most of us had a device that ran on AA or AAA batteries at one time in the past. This isn't that different and if they last weeks, I could live with that.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:14 PM
robshobs
Ponderer

I think it will come down to the cost vs. the convenience. If I could get 10 times longer charge for my Ipaq 5555 (say around 30 hours) and the cost was reasonable (hmmm...$6?), I would use it. It would be especially useful on short business trips where I have limited access to power.

It would be best if it could start out as an add-on pack and thus allow the user to use both conventional batteries and extended power.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
foldedspace
Thinker

What, no miniature fission piles? You'd have weeny little grapite rods you could slide in and out to get that extra boost of power when you need it.

and you'd never lose it in the dark...

Old 06-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Future Man
Neophyte

I know fuel cells will have better applications than PPCs so I don't want to downplay their importance, I'd like to see less of a push for fuel cells to portable devices and more of a push towards things like OLED/LED display solutions. If we could minimize the draw needed for the display, I think battery life would become LESS of an issue. Just a parallel thought.