Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Review Of Psion Teklogix Netbook Pro

http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl/Blah.pl?,v=display,b=news,m=1085977355

The Psion Teklogic Netbook Pro runs Windows CE 4.2. Interesting how Psion used the EPOC OS for so long, which is now Symbian and has moved on to bigger and better things, eh? :wink:

"I must say, I had expected to like the Netbook Pro but was surprised at how much I am enjoying it. With a wireless LAN this is a GREAT unit for carrying around the house and office. And with it's power and storage capabilities it is also a VERY solid laptop replacement for the field. While general consumers might have a harder time justifying the price ($1,499 at Mobile Planet), companies should truly consider the Netbook Pro for mobile employees that need to record significant information, such as CRM data. It is highly portable with great battery life and a very enjoyable form factor."

In my opinion, this is what kept the Handheld PCs like the Jornada 820 and the Smart Displays from being a success - the price. Come on - $1,500? I guess an embedded device has its place in the enterprise where they can tightly control what is on it and not have to worry about moving parts, like hard drives. Still, it is disappointing that you can't pick one of these us for substantially less than a cheap laptop given you don't get the full Windows XP experience.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

That was a decent review, a lower price would be needed if you wanted any customers not classified as Corperate or Prosumer.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Clamshell... :drool:... big keys... :drool:...

Old 06-07-2004, 02:36 AM
mesposito2
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mesposito2
Default Waste of time

Psion is wasting their time again.

I bought a 1" Thinkpad for $1800, and it runs everything.

People buy computers, not companies. If the people in the company have any say, and they usually do, they'll pick a real windows notebook for about the same price. The Netbook would have to sell for around $700 to make it tempting.

The Series 7 was a great machine. I owned one, and loved it. But, it didn't cost nearly that much, and it ran EPOC in color.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:40 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Waste of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesposito2
People buy computers, not companies. If the people in the company have any say, and they usually do, they'll pick a real windows notebook for about the same price. The Netbook would have to sell for around $700 to make it tempting.

The Series 7 was a great machine. I owned one, and loved it. But, it didn't cost nearly that much, and it ran EPOC in color.
If it were $700 and ran all my PPC apps I might be getting out my credit card...

Old 06-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

I really like that hinge! :drool: mmmm... hinges :drool:

Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM
dazz
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
If it were $700 and ran all my PPC apps I might be getting out my credit card...
Oh, ya!! Me too. :wink:

Psion seemed to be pretty clear on this one. While they certainly don't mind consumers buying this they are focusing their marketing efforts completely on corporations. The Netbook Pro is a purpose built device that is ready to work with an enterprise CRM solution. There are a few things with the OS like Pocket On-Schedule but Psion does not put any marketing effort toward general consumers that I have seen.

IT departments can cost justify the steep price on these units, compared to a notebook, because they are easier to administer. The critical info can be backed up to the Flash memory and a frozen unit only take a hard-reset and reinstate from Flash. That is WAY easier and quicker that loading as OS from CD and installing all of the programs on a laptop.

I wish the price was MUCH lower as well. With Psion considering the Windows Mobile OS maybe we WILL see a consumer type device from them again that will be HPC format AND will run all of our PPC apps. (I did suggest it to them, but...) THAT would be nice.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:42 AM
dangerwit
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
IT departments can cost justify the steep price on these units, compared to a notebook, because they are easier to administer. The critical info can be backed up to the Flash memory and a frozen unit only take a hard-reset and reinstate from Flash. That is WAY easier and quicker that loading as OS from CD and installing all of the programs on a laptop.

I wish the price was MUCH lower as well. With Psion considering the Windows Mobile OS maybe we WILL see a consumer type device from them again that will be HPC format AND will run all of our PPC apps. (I did suggest it to them, but...) THAT would be nice.
Don't forget, these prices are "suggested". With purchasing agreements, the prices do come down, and sometimes by quite a bit. I've seen high-profile vendors come down by 40% for corporate purchasing.

Psion Teklogix does not market to consumers anymore, they are a B2B shop at this time.

I'm testing their 7535 CE.NET scanners (XScale 400, 64/128MB, laser/CCD scanner, wifi, bluetooth, SDIO, trans LCD, ambient light sensor, ergonomic, 30 function keys, 4 LEDs, GSM/GPRS capable, and on and on) and they are REALLY something. Really good construction, excellent durability, and an excellent feature list. The company, from our experience is really top-notch. Their CEO and their president both met with our hardware group to help us decide on their product, and we've gotten some really good support.

Any company would do well to look into these guys, at least for evaluation purposes. Of course, I'm not a Psion employee, but I gotta say this is our favorite so far!

If anyone is interested in our observations, let me know.

*Phil

Old 06-07-2004, 06:38 AM
hotweiss
Ponderer

Nice unit, but I agree, the price is way too high! And when it does come down in price, it will be too out of date to consider. A VGA PPC with a folding keyboard is strong competition for this device.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Andy Roberts
Pupil

As some of you said, this device is not end user but aimed for CORE.
The device is for companies that want to write their own applications, hence the move from epoc to ce.
I have had my device since end of last year and highly rate the device (i would say that). It has a fantastic long life and the screen is fantasic to browse the web.
The mini USB support a wide range of devices from mice, keyboards, web cams and digi cameras.

dangerwit, you have a 7535? hope you are find the unit a great mobile player in the core industry.

Other devices that run ce:
Workabout Pro
Netpad

There are rumours that Psion PLC to make a linux handheld based loosly on the NBP but nothing is certain yet!

......and remember the Netbook Pro is a Psion Teklogix device not a Psion PLC device who made the end user handhelds.