Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default How Do You Sync Your Email?

I was wondering how you synchronized your email to your Pocket PC. I am only interested in the Inbox called "ActiveSync" on the Pocket PC, not POP3 or IMAP4 right now.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

I'm now using Pocket Mac seeing I've ventured away from the all Windows world I was in.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:08 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher

I chose never sync my e-mail. First off, my home e-mail ain't all that important and with the attachments I have at work, I'd NEVER sync there even if I could. Anytime I do need a work e-mail, I just hop on a WiFi hotspot and go right to our webmail page (Groupwise webmail works very well on Pocket IE). The main reason I don't is I use a Mac and have bought missing sync. It does not sync e-mail from any program.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:37 PM
surur
Mystic

Despite being a monopoly, Microsoft really integrates their various properties very poorly. Why cant I sync my hotmail account to my pocketpc with any ease? Its only 2MB maximum and Ive had it for maybe 10 years. In the same time Ive had 8 different ISP's, so Im definitely attached to it. I wish they would get their act together. :cry:

Surur

Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM
PR.
Theorist

I voted Server Sync to Exchange 2003. I got hosting specifcally to use this feature as I hardly ever synced my PPC to my home machine, and found myself more often sending/recieving home emails than I did when I was using the desktop sync for my work email.

I have an IMAP account to sync my work email

I just love the flexibility of Exchange 2003, I have ActiveSync for my PocketPC, the Outlook Mobile Access for my PocketPC and WAP phone and Web Access for desktop use!

Edit - A couple of people have asked me what hosting company I am using, they are called eoutlook and can be found at www.eoutlook.com Hope that helps

Old 06-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual

I never sync my Inbox. I use my Nokia to check my email. It is easier, faster and always there, I don't have to wait until I get back to my desk.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:22 PM
adamz
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Despite being a monopoly, Microsoft really integrates their various properties very poorly. Why cant I sync my hotmail account to my pocketpc with any ease? Its only 2MB maximum and Ive had it for maybe 10 years. In the same time Ive had 8 different ISP's, so Im definitely attached to it. I wish they would get their act together. :cry:

Surur
Ah, but you can...
http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=por...t=news&id=2392

Pocket MSN makes you're Pocket PC function with Hotmail as if it was functioning with Exchange. You can have it send text messages whenever specific emails are recieved which then wake up your PDA in order to download the rest of the emails.

Personally, I don't use Activesync Inbox syncing partially out of spite. I'd much rather use the Windows CE Inbox Transfer program that actually let you MANAGE the Pocket PC Inbox with much more flexibility. Instead I sync my email through IMAP... which is okay. At least I can save my Sent messages, but the DRAFTS emails still don't transfer to/from the IMAP server.
Oh how I wish I could transfer DRAFT emails between Pocket PC and Desktop like we could in the old days!

Old 06-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I sync my email all the time. Having all my past messages available without an Internet connection comes in handy more often than you'd think.

My problem is that I forget to sync my PPC more often than I'd like. :lol:

Old 06-01-2004, 02:56 PM
ignar
Thinker

My 4150 has WiFi and BT. I have Wifi access in both home and work, and have a T610 BT phone as well. Also I use IMAP, so all my emails are virtually accessible at anytime, anywhere. I never sync inbox. Offline reading is so old. :lol:

Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
cesarfong
Ponderer

since wifi, bt is invading us less people use activesync for email. In my case i only use pocket inbox to check new mail and reply or forward them.. so old mails or synchronized email is not what i want ..