Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default CeBit America 2004: Preliminary Press Event Peek

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com...922439cf808ada1

The intrepid Suhit over at Digital Media Thoughts has managed to get himself a press pass to CeBit America. As you might imagine, he took many photos of a plethora of interesting devices (a veritable cornicopia, if you will). First up, the Motorola MPx, which looks much more usable now that they've ditched the freakish curvy black and white keyboard:

"I finally get to touch the Motorola MPX. Two words - I want. However, it is a little bigger than I expected. To some extent, I might even want the Nokia 9500. But still, the MPX is so pretty." OQO was there as well, showing off their Model 01, which is apparently being tested by 40 corporations (read: potential customers) at this very moment. Here's a photo to slake your thirst:

There's also news on the SanDisk front: "There were far too many people around the Sandisk booth so I really did not get a chance to chat with anyone. I did however get a roadmap from both Sandisk and SD Card Association and apparently the 2GB SD card is right around the corner, i.e. probably end of Q3 this year." From everything I've been hearing, this show is a bit sparse. Let's hope that a few more companies cough up a few more tasty devices at the real event tomorrow...

Old 05-27-2004, 01:25 AM
dh
Mystic

A very interesting article. One disapointing aspect is how large the OQO looks, unless that is a person with very tiny hands. I'm begining to think that the ultimate mobile device would be a version of the Zaurus with mini hard drive and fast processor. Win XP devices might always be too big.

Suhit certainly found that there are good things being developed though. That 9500 Nokia looks to be worth checking out. It's been years since I had a Symbian device.

Update: I saw the picture of the OQO next to an Ipaq (one of the proper ones) at www.gadgetaddict.com and the two are about the same size. Maybe the person in Suhit's photo does have the world's smallest hands after all.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh
Update: I saw the picture of the OQO next to an Ipaq (one of the proper ones) at www.gadgetaddict.com and the two are about the same size. Maybe the person in Suhit's photo does have the world's smallest hands after all.
Both Suhit and I handled the OQO for an extended period of time, and we have strong opinions on the device. We'll post on it tomorrow. Kati was there too, and she might have some feedback as well.

--janak

Old 05-27-2004, 02:28 AM
encece
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

The MPx is great....I not only want one. I NEEED ONE!

Old 05-27-2004, 02:28 AM
gorkon280
Philosopher

The MPx Keyboard is still curvy....it's just body colored now.

My Powerbook is almost the same size as this oqo.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkon280
My Powerbook is almost the same size as this oqo.
Umm, just out of curiosity, what Powerbook do you have? I have a 12" Powerbook, and it's MUCH larger than the OQO.

If you haven't looked at the www.gadgetaddict.com pics, go look... they have the OQO next to an iPaq, and they are about the same size.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

I now see the use of the OQO, I used to think it was bigger than a PPC, but windows XP in a PPC sized device will be awesome, I still think it should run XP tablet though. (MS probably won't let them right?)

Old 05-27-2004, 03:43 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh
Both Suhit and I handled the OQO for an extended period of time, and we have strong opinions on the device. We'll post on it tomorrow. Kati was there too, and she might have some feedback as well.

--janak
I'll be very interested to hear what you think Janak. Have you handled the FlipStart as well, by any chance? I'm not sure that any are floating around yet. That's the new device I think I would be most interested in. The specs are great.

I've also read that it would be possible to run one of the Linux distributions on it since the processor is supported, now that would be really interesting.

One thing's for sure, the PDA as we have known it the last couple of years does not seem to have a future. Tiny full function computer or converged data and phone seem to be the way forward.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:33 AM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Janak, et All,

have you been able to find out which carriers in the US will have the MPx? If not, could you please ask at the show and see what kind of answer you get? I'd really appreciate knowing if you can get an answer!

Thanks!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 04:39 AM
encece
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

I read a rumor that AT&T is "strongly considering" the MPx