Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba e800 Windows Mobile 2003 SE Update Released on Toshiba.de Site

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/mod...order=0&thold=0

Sean from MGN has a pleasant surprise for you e800 owners: Toshiba Germany has posted the Windows Mobile 2003 SE upgrade on their site, and strangely enough, it seems to work on North American-SKU'd devices. 8O Sean installed the update onto his North American e800 device, and it seems to be working. It's in English, VGA is active across the entire device, WiFi is working, and no Bluetooth software was installed. This is risky stuff though folks - ROM upgrades aren't to be fooled with, so you may want to wait a bit before taking the plunge. This makes me think this is a worldwide software package that installs only what's needed for that particular device.

From the Toshiba page: "This Windows Mobile SE Update (Pocket PC 2003 SE Update) includes all necessary file for the Update. Also a Upgrade Guide is included with detailed instructions how the upgrade must be done.NOTE:Some programs may not run , or run only limited, under this new Operating System. In this case please ask the vendor of this program for an Update.To use the new features of WM2003 SE, the software must be designed specially for WM2003 SE."

Makes me wish I had an e800...

Old 05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
mf24
Pupil

I hope Toshiba are still planning to offer free SE for the e400.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
JTEK
Pupil
Default Concerned....

Lots of little caveats with this upgrade. For instance,...

Recording using the Record Button
This PDA does not support the "Stay in the current program" option of Notes that allows recording in the background. To make a recording, you must close the current program and then launch the Notes application. If you change program, Notest will stop recording.

Auto launching function
Even if "Detect digital camera storage cards" is checked for Options on Pictures, the auto launching function is not available on this model. You will need to launch Pictures manually and select the storage cards.

Limitation of Video Out function
The IA-Mirror function int he ATI Presentation pack and the Wireless Projector Utility are not available with teh Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC Operating System.

Bench mark data
Benchmark data may differ from previous updates.

Windows Media Player
The screen size for video files is one-fourth of the size from previous file updates.

Microsoft Reader
The Microsoft Reader application is not included on this model. If you wish to use it, be sure to download it from the Microsoft web site and install it onto your system.

ClearType
When you enable ClearType, the screen's display color may be slightly altered.

Battery Life
In some case, the battery life is a little shorter than the before update. [sic]

As I said, lots of caveats. As an e805 owner, I'm concerned that I might be downgrading my unit instead of "upgrading". I'm also concerned that the U.S. site doesn't have its update-ROM available yet either; I wonder if some of these issues won't be present in their upgrade.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:56 PM
JTEK
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf24
I hope Toshiba are still planning to offer free SE for the e400.
They are. In the PDF file, it mentions the upgrade as being available for e400/e800 models (no mention of it being "free", though). Here's the quote:

Status after Update
Toshiba Pocket PC e800/e400 is updated to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC, it also includes Adaptation Kit Update 1/2 of Pocket PC 2003 and improves some issue. [sic]

I have a feeling they're going to use the same PDF file they created for the e800 once the e400 upgrade becomes available.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:00 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer
Default Toshiba Owners - Lucky? This time...

Hmmm - first OEM with an SE upgrade.

Count yourself lucky - if you get it to work...

At least Toshiba owners are getting upgrades (at any price) - anoyne else being offered upgrades - ViewSonic? HP?

Anyone?

Oh yeah - I forgot - we're supposed to buy new Pocket PCs...

Bleh! Pit-tooey...

Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 PM
JTEK
Pupil
Default Re: Toshiba Owners - Lucky? This time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet
Oh yeah - I forgot - we're supposed to buy new Pocket PCs....
Duh.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Garry [WMA]
Pupil

Ok I've tried this. Firstly I have to say Iwas amazed how good truetype looks on all the screens - really wasn't expecting that improvement - very impressive.

On the downside I've been trying reader and appear to get a lot of lock ups.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
JTEK
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry [WMA
]Ok I've tried this. Firstly I have to say Iwas amazed how good truetype looks on all the screens - really wasn't expecting that improvement - very impressive.

On the downside I've been trying reader and appear to get a lot of lock ups.
Wha? Microsoft's own Reader (for .lit files)? You had to download it from the MS site after upgrading, right?

Old 05-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Garry [WMA]
Pupil

Yes. I had to redownload Reader from Microsoft's site and re-install. It comes up with the caveat that this program may not work properly as its designed for an earlier operating system. So far it seems to work fine if you navigate using buttons but tapping on the screen seems to have very long delays before anything happens - indeed so long I'd though it had locked up. I'm just uninstalling some other software to make sure there isn't a conflict somewhere.

Old 05-26-2004, 06:35 PM
JTEK
Pupil

Garry:

Cool. Thanks for the update. As a constant user of MSReader (I love reading on my PDA), I was becoming concerned. I guess I still am. 8O

Let us know how other apps fare under the upgrade. Haven't had a chance to update the ROM yet, but am (sort of) looking forward to it.

Really curious if Dashboard and WisBar Advance work on it.