Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-19-2004, 05:50 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default MobileGadgetNews' Lowdown On The New HP Devices

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/hp.html

"HP is working on a jaw dropping pile of machines taking full advantage of all the technology advancements in hardware and software they can. I think we all have to commend them on their innovation and commitment to development. There are no less than seven new models in the works and we have the scoop. Let's start from the bottom up."

Sean isn't kidding when they say they have the scoop. The devices range from $229 to $649, and he not only has specs, but release dates and pictures in some cases. You have to check this article out if you're thinking of getting an iPAQ in the next 3-6 months.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Enderet
Thinker

Those prices are insane.

549 for the 2210 replacement? 8O and they didnt even make it a VGA PPC?!

Sheesh... what a dissapointment. Id rather get a new Axim with the 624, since they seem to be the same overall, except for the extra 150+ the HP one costs.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Save that page while you can folks because I'm betting HP isn't going to be happy about the picts.

The one thing I don't get. Only ONE Pocket PC with VGA support?!?!?!? WTH?!? Esp when the article notes there are two models that are designated as "multimedia PocketPC". In my mind that would scream VGA support.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 AM
TomB
Intellectual

"Jaw-dropping" may be a great adjective for the number of units, but as far as the devices go "boring" will do just fine. Yeah yeah, the Explorer with VGA Display and 624 MHz CPU sounds interesting but at over a buck a MHz? Sorry HP, I don't see much reason to dump my trusty and AFFORDABLE H1910 yet. It seems like we have reached the end of the line on exciting mobile computing unless you get a rush spending $650 on a PocketPC.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

I really am at a total loss as to what device I want. #1 on my list is VGA support but #2 is size and unfortunately in this case I can't have my cake and eat it too.

I wonder if its a matter of HP can't get VGA support in smaller devices or doesn't want to get VGA support in smaller devices. :?:

I like the lineup but the disparity in some of the specs really makes you wonder what is going on at HP.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:55 AM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

These pictures and specs are only R&D data, not even prototype.

For example, the "rx1700" spec is even lower than h1937, but list $30 more than h1937. I don't know how HP will use it to replace h1937, let alone h1945.

The best sellers of ipaq is H1900 series now. From this line-out, it seems HP want to kill h1900 and h4155 form factors completely, which I think its impossible.

The hx4700 prototype has been testing in some inside groups now, so that part of data is true. I won't believe others until somebody got a prototype or a real picture.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 AM
takotchi
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to takotchi

The only one that interests me is the "Explorers"... I have to say the price is not really surprising. I think it's odd that it only has an average 64MB of RAM but a generous 128MB of ROM. Unless those specs have been accidently reversed...

I'll have to see how good the "Explorers" really is, but I kind of expected to have to spend that amount to get all of the newest PPC features (fastest CPU, VGA, dual wireless) and I've been waiting for something with significant improvements over the seemingly endless onslaught of 400MHz-based PPCs.

I really do wish they could somehow make them a little less expensive though... you practically have to sell your organs on the black market to get a no-compromise PPC nowadays. :?

Old 05-19-2004, 07:21 AM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

:shocked!: Holy macaroni! :drool: :drool:
OK, seems like I need to clean out my keyboard after this article...

That Explorer is cool, but so are all the other models! Man will it be hard to buy a new iPAQ this year (assuming the specs made it into the final devices). :lol:

Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 AM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
"Jaw-dropping" may be a great adjective for the number of units, but as far as the devices go "boring" will do just fine. Yeah yeah, the Explorer with VGA Display and 624 MHz CPU sounds interesting but at over a buck a MHz? Sorry HP, I don't see much reason to dump my trusty and AFFORDABLE H1910 yet. It seems like we have reached the end of the line on exciting mobile computing unless you get a rush spending $650 on a PocketPC.
It's the magnesium casing that adds to the price. And, if you don't like the Explorer-model, then go with some other model! :wink:

Old 05-19-2004, 07:26 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
I really am at a total loss as to what device I want. #1 on my list is VGA support but #2 is size and unfortunately in this case I can't have my cake and eat it too.

I wonder if its a matter of HP can't get VGA support in smaller devices or doesn't want to get VGA support in smaller devices. :?:

I like the lineup but the disparity in some of the specs really makes you wonder what is going on at HP.
VGA support on a 3.5" display equals really small text. I think the 3.8" to 4.0" are better suited for VGA. The biggest dissapointment to me is the 64MB RAM but I do like the 128MB ROM. Maybe Pocket PC Techs can change that if HP won't.