Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Brighthand: Sneak Peek at the New Generation of iPAQs

http://www.brighthand.com/article/R...Models?site=PPC

"In the second half of 2003, HP released no less than seven new iPAQ models. In fact, during that period it put out more handhelds than even the prolific handheld maker Sony. However, this practice hasn't continued this year. Many people have speculated that HP was simply waiting for the release of Windows Mobile 2003, which came just a couple months ago, to re-start its parade of new models again. Unfortunately, it turns out that those who are hoping for new iPAQs in the near future are going to be disappointed."

Brighthand has managed to get their hands on some leaked information from HP regarding their upcoming product line-up. If the information is accurate, the future looks bright for Pocket PCs. The good news: More dual-slot devices, more RAM, VGA. The bad news: Sleeves are ditched, no photos. Here's a quick run-down of the devices:

� hx4700: CF & SD, 128mb RAM, possible VGA, available in late July
� hx2700: Replacement for 555x, possible VGA, fingerprint scanner, late 2004
� rz1700: Replacement for 194x, mid-range, slim design, QVGA, no ETA
� h6310 : Phone Edition with WiFi and Bluetooth, QVGA, possible August release

I'm glad to see the VGA and continued support for dual slots, and while the standard 128mb of RAM has been a long time coming, I'm happy to see that it's finally here. There's no word yet on the wireless capabilities of any of the "hx" or "rz" models, but I hope that HP will be able to use the same dual radio design that worked so well in the 41xx series. Personally, I hope to see a model like the hx4700 without the CF slot; I sold off all of my CF gear when I upgraded from an Axim X5.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I'm thrilled with the specs for the HX4700 -- one of the things that bummed me out about the 4350 was the lack of CF card support. Hmmm, if one of the HX4700's has VGA, Wi-fi, bluetooth, and a keyboard, I may be handing down my 2215 to my dear wife -- who dearly needs an organizer (she an assistant director, for heavens sake!) and loves to play crazy bubbles.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Good info. Now the decision process really starts. I'd love to have duel slots, especially since I'm looking at getting a CF digital camera. VGA seems like an almost necessary upgrade too. So right now I'm leaning towards the hx4700. But of course the 6310 would be nice, but that would mean dropping my Verizon plan, plus being stuck with QVGA. If the hx2700 would have CF, that'd be a great device. Guess we'll just wait and see. I wish HP would go public with this type of stuff. :|

Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Bill Gunn
Ponderer

"According to an unconfirmed report from a Brighthand reader who claims inside information,"

Well, if it's from an "unconfirmed.. claim," it must be true. :wink:

Old 05-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Maleboligia
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to Maleboligia

4700 definitely sounds like the one I would choose(based on these rumors ) Guess I'll have to wait & see.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 PM
dh
Mystic

If this is correct, the HX4700 would be close to being the perfect PPC for me, especially if it has both BT and WiFi.

The numbering of these seems to be out of step with HPs usual method though. I would have thought an HX2700 would be the next 2200 rather than 5550.

Anyway, I do hope that HP is really bringing out something new and exciting - it's about time!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Palmguy
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Palmguy Send a message via AIM to Palmguy Send a message via MSN to Palmguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gunn
"According to an unconfirmed report from a Brighthand reader who claims inside information,"

Well, if it's from an "unconfirmed.. claim," it must be true. :wink:
Who cares? We can hope, can't we?

Old 05-14-2004, 09:13 PM
SeanH
Theorist

The HX4700 sounds good to me. I wish it did not have a CF slot. With built in WiFi and Bluetooth there is not a need for CF. SDIO is perfect for storage and all the peripherals can use wireless Bluetooth. CF memory has a price advantage today but that will change very rapidly. CF and SDIO memory is going to follow the DRAM trend. DDR used to cost more then SDRAM because DDR was not selling in volumes in the beginning. Now DDR is mainstream and cost a lot less then SDRAM for the same density.

Sean

Old 05-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Dermot81
Intellectual

What is QVGA, is that better or worse than VGA? Is that better or worse or same as what I have in my HP2215?

Old 05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot81
What is QVGA, is that better or worse than VGA? Is that better or worse or same as what I have in my HP2215?
QVGA is what your 2215's screen is. The resolution of QVGA is 240x320. The resolution of VGA is 480x640. 8)