Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Wells Fargo To Drop Mobile Online Banking Support

It looks like Wells Fargo is going to drop support completely for Pocket Internet Explorer. One of our users encountered the page shown below and called their customer service number at 1-800-956-4442 to get more details. The response? They will "no longer support mobile devices" on their online banking site.

Shame. Wells Fargo was one of the pioneers in mobile banking. Many of us would be content with just being able to access our online bank sites but they often make such prolific use of CSS, Java and ActiveX that PIE just can't deal with it and you wind up getting nothing. :cry:

Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
fdx_2k1
Neophyte
Default Wells Fargo

The corporation I work for wrote the software for Wells Fargo, but I hadn't heard anything about it going away. I will see what I can find out and post it here.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:07 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

Maybe WF customers can use Netfront with the IE 6.0 tweak and still access it.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

This is unfortunate news. The opposite direction of what I (and I'm sure most of us here) would like to see.

The concept of internet banking is based on convenience. The ability to extend this to mobile devices is the natural extension of this concept.

Too bad...

Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

I think the real solution is to make a bigger and better PIE. Wish MS would work more on that. I guess since there's no good alternative to it, they don't see it as a main priority.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
CTSLICK
Sage

This does seem like a step backwards and if thats truly the end of it then it is very disheartening...however...

What if they are planning to release a Wells Fargo Client for the PPC that they can then charge for? Or maybe they are planning on launching a subscription service for access to mobile banking pages? Maybe this is just a little revenue enhancement scheme on their part? Pure speculation on my part but it seems logical based on other moves WF has made.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:01 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

Microsoft Money does a good job with its online banking. It can exchange information with numerous banks and credit unions.
I've long wished Money for the PPC would let me do the same thing, or at least check balances online. With the number of connected mobile devices becoming available this could be a very attractive feature. It would allow MANY banks to offer online mobile banking, and they wouldn't have to individually support it.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:03 PM
RobertoLV_
Ponderer

You need move a little things in the REGISTER (WM2003 ONLY), This is the solution:

With the PHM Registry Editor open the Next key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent

Change the next:

Version=MSIE 4.01 change by MSIE 6.0

Default=Mozilla/4.0 leave it (don't change)

Platform=Windows CE change by Windows NT 5.0

Do the same changes in the next key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent

The last step:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

Delete PPC;240x320

I tested and is Working perfectly.

(Thanks to CTITANIC, original page November 2003 -in spanish- is: http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/sho...&postcount=511)
��Salud!!-2

Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoLV_
I tested and is Working perfectly.
Works perfectly for now not to display the error.. but they may add features and stuff that PIE just doesn't plain support, and it won't work anyways even if you can access it..

-arebelspy

Old 05-11-2004, 10:49 PM
joelevi
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
This is unfortunate news. The opposite direction of what I (and I'm sure most of us here) would like to see.

The concept of internet banking is based on convenience. The ability to extend this to mobile devices is the natural extension of this concept.
One less customer to worry about... I have kept a WF bank account for some time now... nothing big, but didn't want to go through the hassles of closing it only to need it again later...

But I closed it today. When they asked why I told them what I'd read here. They were "sad to see [me] go" but hopefully the ripple will be felt if enough stones are cast into the lake.