Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default ImmierSoft XCPUScalar 2004 Released

http://www.immiersoft.com/

ImmierSoft has released a new version of their CPU scaling tool. New features include support from 100MHz to 530MHz scaling, the ability to add a power-off icon to the Today screen, and improved Pocket PC support (including the new iPAQ, Asus, and Toshiba models).

You can download a copy from this page (note there are different versions for some models).

Old 05-05-2004, 05:48 PM
arnage2
Oracle

is the 530mhz ocing for pxa 263 or 270?

Old 05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Nice but the autoscale function is grayed out on my ipaq 5555. Or is that just a trial version limitation? It isnt mentioned if it is.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

It's my understanding that running this to slow down the processor on a 2200 series iPAQ is acutually DETREMENTAL to the battery life due to the way the FSB is managed, it slows down the fsb but the processor speeds up to accomedate the increased workloads. But according to the same logic of wherever I read this, it will improve your battery life on idle right?
Of course if you are speeding up the processor and FSB you should expect the battery life to decrease right?

If anyone else has read the article I'm thinking of would please explain this to me. (or if you understand the implementation of the 2200's FSB and Processor)

EDIT: corrected abreviation

Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 PM
buckyg
Thinker

Lasher,
I don't know if what you see is a trial limitation or not. It's been so long since I used the demo, this was purchased a long time ago. I am guessing it must be a trial limitation, because Autoscale is a working option on my 5555 with the purchased version.
Best of luck,
buckyg

Old 05-05-2004, 09:14 PM
joelevi
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher
Nice but the autoscale function is grayed out on my ipaq 5555. Or is that just a trial version limitation? It isnt mentioned if it is.
I've got a 4155 and it's grayed out on mine, too.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I have been using this app for a while - it's great to regularly overclock to 500Mhz and drop down to 100Mhz when I need to conserve battery power. I use the 100Mhz setting when reading ebooks & typing for a while - the CPU usage does not get that high doing these things & I get longer battery life.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

regarding my earlier post, I beleive HP said it www.hp.com I don't have the time right now to search for it on any sites.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLevi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher
I've got a 4155 and it's grayed out on mine, too.
Well once I actually read the Readme file it says right at the top the autoscale feature doesnt work in the demo ops:

So I purchased the full version and now it runs great on my 5555

Those of you running this for a while now have you had any problems running at 500 or higher?

Old 05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey Green
It's my understanding that running this to slow down the processor on a 2200 series iPAQ is acutually DETREMENTAL to the battery life due to the way the FRB is managed, it slows down the fsb but the processor speeds up to accomedate the increased workloads. But according to the same logic of wherever I read this, it will improve your battery life on idle right?
Of course if you are speeding up the processor and FSB you should expect the battery life to decrease right?

If anyone else has read the article I'm thinking of would please explain this to me. (or if you understand the implementation of the 2200's FSB and Processor)
Well I did some tests a while back and you are absolutely right.

http://www.pc-counselor.com/reviews/vobench_h2210.htm

Less speed does not mean more battery life. The reason is unknown for me but I think that it�s due to the fact that these OC programs has to fight all the time against the OEMs settings prepare to hold the default speed of these devices.

I have not tested this last release of XCPUScalar neither Pocket Hack Mater last release to see if these releases work different now.