Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 04-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Worldwide PDA Shipments Fall 12% - HP Shows Huge Growth

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=pr2004_04_25_223538

"The worldwide market for handheld devices declined in the first quarter of 2004 due to seasonally sluggish demand and vendor re-focusing. According to IDC�s Worldwide Handheld QView, device shipments decreased 11.7% year-on-year in 1Q04 and dropped sequentially 33.1% to 2.2 million units."

Shipment Chart: Note that numbers in italics were derived by using statistics from a year old report. The IDC press release didn't have enough info to accurately calculate palmOne and "other" from 2003. Given I knew the totals, values for the other OEMs and some historical data to work with, they are close enough to use in this comparison.

Not only did HP gain significant market share in the first quarter of this year, they sold 24.8% more devices verses the same quarter last year. Dell showed slight growth. PalmOne showed a slight decline while Toshiba and Sony showed huge declines.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Wow, HP is really pushing to be the PDA leader. I can't see HP getting the number one slot, however, unless they come out with a real Zire competitor. These reports are based on the number of units sold. If Palm didn't have the Zire, I don't think they'd be number one, as I'm sure those $79 and $99 units make up a huge percentage of sales these days.

However, things like the Zire don't make companies money, so if HP can stay very profitable at number 2, then so be it.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:16 PM
orol
Ponderer

hm I'm surprised with 2 things.

the huge decline of toshiba and sony sales. both offered GREAT PDAs and didn't succeed.

I guess there are really not so many tech savvy users.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orol

the huge decline of toshiba and sony sales. both offered GREAT PDAs and didn't succeed.
Toshiba has horrible customer satisfaction issues - all those e740 users denied the WM2003 upgrade? You couldn't pay me to buy a new Toshiba until I see evidence they have cleaned their act up.

Sony - all flash, no muscle IMHO.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Hey Ed! How is it that Palm gain market share but shipped fewer units? Or am I reading this wrong?

Never mind. I got it. Less units shipped in the quarter by all, thus an increase in percentage, but reduction in units.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by orol

Toshiba has horrible customer satisfaction issues - all those e740 users denied the WM2003 upgrade? You couldn't pay me to buy a new Toshiba until I see evidence they have cleaned their act up.

Sony - all flash, no muscle IMHO.
why should e740 get wm2003 upgrade? did jornada 568 get wm2003 upgrade? Both are discontinued products before wm2003 was released.

e750 had the wm2003 upgrade, some of which was even free.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:06 PM
surur
Mystic

C-net seems to have a different spin on the figures

Quote:
Microsoft closing in on PalmSource

PalmSource, the market leader, closed the quarter with a whopping 20.7 percent drop in market share, according to initial data released Friday by research firm Gartner.

The drop comes as global handheld devices shipments slumped by 4.6 percent, according to research firm IDC.

Gartner's report found that the market share held by Palm's operating system slipped to 40.7 percent, while the Windows CE market share grew by 5 percent to 40.2 percent. Microsoft licensees have been steadily chipping away at the Palm OS lead since 2000, when Microsoft accounted for 11 percent of the market for handhelds.
So things are 50/50 now... Like 1997 Netscape vs IE?

Surur

Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 PM
oom
Pupil

o.k. let me get the ball rolling:

Ed you suck, you Micr$oft fanboy. You are so biased towards windblows mobile on this PPC website it makes me sick. Next you are going to say POS does not do real multitasking. :wink:

isn't this what this thread always turns into when ever Ed posts anything positive about Windows moblie and PPCs

craig
this post was brought to you by the if you can not regognize sarcasm, poke it with a stick consortium.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oom
o.k. let me get the ball rolling:

Ed you suck, you Micr$oft fanboy. You are so biased towards windblows mobile on this PPC website it makes me sick. Next you are going to say POS does not do real multitasking. :wink:

isn't this what this thread always turns into when ever Ed posts anything positive about Windows moblie and PPCs

craig
this post was brought to you by the if you can not regognize sarcasm, poke it with a stick consortium.
lol... good one..

Old 04-30-2004, 09:43 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee

What this show to me is HP reacted very well to the entry of Dell into the marketplace. I see Dell's marketshare as a failure; I would have assumed Dell would be at 15% at this point. I didn't think HP had it in them to react in the way they did.

It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with Dell printers.