Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Releases Lotus Domino/Notes Connector For Outlook 2002/2003

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8ebbba59-5f17-4e52-8980-c4f0dfa92d65&DisplayLang=en

Microsoft has released a connector to install on your PC that will allow you to connect Outlook 2002 or 2003 to a Lotus Domino 5.x or 6.x server. It will sync email, tasks, appointments and contacts. It requires Windows 2000 or Windows XP on the client side. The reason I am posting this is if this allows Outlook to connect directly to Notes, will this allow you to install ActiveSync and sync with your Notes server without third party software?

Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 PM
burtman007
Pupil

Yup. It works just like that and it works pretty well, too.

I was using this connector about a year ago and it seems to work okay. It stopped working (or rather started acting a little flaky) when our admins upgraded the Domino server to version 6.

I will warn you though, watch out for replication conflicts. Especially if you choose to sync your PPC using Outlook and still use the Notes Client for your desktop work. I ran into some issues where the connector doesn't always catch new calendar entries (most notably meeting invitations).

I've got mNotes running now, but if someone else runs this new connector with a Domino 6.5 server, let me know!

Old 04-17-2004, 11:59 PM
acollet
Ponderer
Default This could be it

I been wanting to have my lotus notes calendar in Outlook.. I hopt this works.. anyone know if you can use this to sync outlook and mNotes to sync w/ notes just not use activesync ?

Old 04-18-2004, 05:02 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

This would be great since I uses Notes at work and I really didn�t like the third party software available. I would rather have a Microsoft connector that would hook up to Outlook. I always had problems keeping my address and emails synched up between the two.

Jeff-

Old 04-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Rolf Olsen
Neophyte

It works like a charm.. both the old version for outlook 2002/xp and this new version for outlook 2003.

I have used for old version together with active sync and my iPAQ for a long time, and no real problems so far. And the new versions seems to work even better. With this I could finally upgrade to outlook 2003.

Only draw-back is that you cannot sync. contacts between notes and outlook with the connector, but I just have my contacts in outlook / on the PDA and skipped notes for that part.

Old 04-18-2004, 05:25 PM
heliod
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtman007
I will warn you though, watch out for replication conflicts. Especially if you choose to sync your PPC using Outlook and still use the Notes Client for your desktop work. I ran into some issues where the connector doesn't always catch new calendar entries (most notably meeting invitations).
This is my greatest concern. Having Notes as your client and syncing via Outlook is not a trivial thing, and can surely bring to unexpected results.

Old 04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

So this is an improved version of the old one. Does this one still need the Lotus Notes client installed on the client-side?????

Jaap

Old 04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
EricMCarson
Ponderer

Yes, you need the Notes client installed to use. Also, after installing, I had several replication errors, including duplicate contacts (what a pain to clean up!). Also, my tasks started on the days they were supposed to end on (?), so they wouldn't show up in Lotus Notes (how my secretary checks where I am) until the day they were due, not the day I was working on them. But, it does allow me to sync Notes e-mail, which was my major concern. I wish I could turn off the contact, calendar, and task syncing, since these appear to be a tad buggy.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Bruno
Pupil
Default WARNING! Dont synk your calendar.

I have been running the outlook connector for Domino for over a year now. I just recently switched over to the new version with support for Outlook 2003/domino 6.

It works really great and brings together my information in my PocketPC and Lotus Domino quite nice. BUT...

Don synchronize your calendar between Notes and Outlook if you have repeating appointments. Youll eventually end up with a LOT of meetings instead of one repeating meeting. And the you have o clean up the mess manually. Believe me, I have done this twice already and its not fun at all.

Si use the connector to hook up to domino but I also use a local PST file for the calendar. To make the calendar to sync to the PST file I must designate the PST inbox as my primary inbox. Thus I get no alarms in Outlook when mail arrives in the Domino Inbox- But I can live with that. Outlook 2003 makes it really somple to open two calendars (as my PST calendar and the Domino calendar) side by side so I can easy work with both calendars and move all important stuff to my Oulook/PocketPC calendar.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I've looked at this for a little but am still not sure how to use it for my situation. Maybe someone with more experience can assist.

I use Notes at work for work-based email and calendering. I use Outlook for my tasks and for my hotmail account. Currently the only thing I maintain on both systems is calendering: I enter everything in Outlook by hand, while my meetings are automatically added to my Notes calender. I manually copy the Notes appointments to Outlook.

When I installed the Outlook Connector for Notes I created a new profile (as per the directions) but of course that only has my Notes appointments, email, etc. available in Outlook when I select that profile at startup. Is there a way to switch between profiles without stopping and starting Outlook?

Is there a way to have the emails from both Notes and from hotmail (or some other source) both synch'ed down to my PPC?

Can I keep the contacts from synch'ing, while allowing all else to do so?

I've tried the mNotes trial and it worked a little more intuitively for me. If I can get the Outlook conduit to work for me I'd rather go with it, though.