Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Intel Doubles Profits, Apple Triples them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3623795.stm

Let the good times roll. The BBC reports that "A recovery in global computer spending has helped chip giant Intel report an 89% increase in first-quarter profits. For the three months to 27 March, the Californian-based company made a profit of $1.7bn, almost double the $915m recorded for the same period in 2003." Which is not bad at all, until you compare what the BBC has to say about Apple.

"Computer group Apple has seen its profits more than triple, thanks in no small part to the ongoing success of its iPod personal music player. The firm earned a total of $46m in its second quarter ending 27 March, up more than 300% from the $14m it achieved for the same period a year previously. Way ahead of expectations, Apple's revenue also increased to �1.91bn. During the most recent second quarter the company sold 807,000 iPods, a 909% rise on a year earlier."

909% growth? 8O So that's the reward you get for being a cultural icon! Apple has sold more than 2.8 million iPods since they were introduced in 2001. With their epic profit margins, no wonder Apple are raking it in at the moment. Roll on the Truly Teeny Tiny Hard Disks in Pocket PCs. Who needs a dedicated Music player anyway? :wink:

Old 04-15-2004, 03:47 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

Ohh! A milltion! What's a milltion? :?

Anyways, I think the iPod is ugly!

Old 04-15-2004, 04:04 AM
guilmon
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to guilmon

Of course they'll see major profit gains, the ipod is waaaay overpriced. You can acquire an archos hard disk based mp3 player for almost half the cost of the same capacity of an ipod, or you can get a higher capacity model, and pay the same for an ipod with half the space.

edit: After scoping out a few online retailers, I've also found that you can get an archos that will play movies on screen, for the same price as the ipod of the same capacity, 20 gb. $399.99.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:04 AM
adamz
Thinker

Maybe there should be a separate ipodthoughts.com site for this kind of news. :)

Old 04-15-2004, 04:23 AM
Aerestis
Theorist

the ipod was neat when it first came out, but I think people buy them now just because they are... I don't get it at all. Do you think apple uses subliminal messages?

Old 04-15-2004, 04:24 AM
tthiel
Ponderer

The iPod blows away everything out there. Archos...what a hunk of junk.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:15 AM
ombu
Theorist

Face it, iMac and iPod and OS X and iTunes and ... whatever, all those products sell well enough and make profit.

Why?

Is Apple a cult brand?
Does Jobs know exactly what he does when launching a new product?
Are those products backed with innovative design and quality?
Are those products overprized?
Is Apple running a succesful (and permanent) market research plan?
Do people like Apple's ads?

The answer to every question above is in company's figures, of course everybody is free to disent, but numbers are numbers.

There's still a question a PPC lover like me recalls from time to time:

Why is there no Apple PDA? (and will not as read on several statements)

A last one, a media-content provider called Disney breaks ties with a tech-media-content provider called Pixar, there are just a few projects pending, why? Some would say it's Disney's inner problems, other may think Pixar grew-up enough to go it's own way, a few are smelling Sony just arround the corner and one or two lunatics swear this Sony scent will reach Apple, making it to Sony what Ferrari is to Fiat, but don't panic, they're just lunatics, one, maybe two. :twisted:

Regards.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Mojo Jojo
Theorist
Default ...

OKay, I am a Apple person. So feel free to call me biased or what not as I pose this question. Heck even call me a zealot if that makes you feel better.

Apple makes a profit, profit means there are buyers, buyers usually mean people like their products. Where does this ingrown fear and loathing of Apple and Apple products come from? Why do people bash Apple for being Apple?

'They cost too much' but people are buying them.

'They have horrible hardware' but the retention of Apple products is good and people keep them alot longer then competitor products.

'Their software is horrible' but they have a very stable platform with good security and low virus/trojan/worm issues (nearly none).

and now...

'They are crappy because they made a profit'.................. no comment.

Okay. If you don't like Apple machines, software, cost thats fine. Everyone likes different things and no one thing is right for everyone. I think what Apple needs to do is RENT their machines. Let people try them out. A lot of PC columnist and reviewers who have been able to become objective have found that Apple isn't half bad, some say even good and switched.

So, the question. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and sounds like a duck but you call it a dog, who is right?

I think (and using only facts given in this article) that 2.8 million sales by people who bought an iPod will disagree with you that Apple products are over priced, unreliable, horribly written software products.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
Ohh! A milltion! What's a milltion? :?
:confused totally: Pass. You tell me,

Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
Maybe there should be a separate ipodthoughts.com site for this kind of news.
Well, I was interested in the fact that tech companies are making serious money again, and in the possibility of using PPC as music players with the new generation of small hard drives. It seems that folks want to talk about iPods though. :lol: