Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default One In Six Use Wireless Net, Survey Says

http://news.com.com/2100-7351_3-519...art=dtx&tag=nhl

OK, that title's a bit misleading: one in six Internet users have logged on using wireless technologies -- but that's still a good number!

"The Pew Internet & American Life Project found more U.S. adults than ever use the Internet and participate in a wider range of activity via the medium than previously measured. Seventeen percent have logged on using a wireless device, and those under 27 were nearly twice as likely to have done so."

I wonder how many of those are using Pocket PCs? 8) Here's a direct link to the report (PDF), with some interesting demographics.

Old 04-14-2004, 04:40 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

I haven't read the article, but I don't find that too suprising. What is considered "logging on?" Even my "non-techie" friends have signed on AIM with their cellphones at some time or another. I bet the number of users who use the Internet wirelessly on a regular basis would be much lower.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:08 AM
pacemkr
Intellectual

I forgot where I've seen this and the exact phrasing. But...
"There are lies. There are terrible lies. And then there are statistics." :lol:

I can't see how they could possibly get this data.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Still, it's a good thing people are getting exposed to the idea of wireless internet. The more exposure means a faster adoption rate which translates to lots of access points for the rest of us!

Old 04-14-2004, 12:05 PM
jizmo
Thinker

This might be pretty inept question, but I wonder if there are any solutions to getting a wireless homenetwork for my laptop and PPC without having a dedicated server with WLAN.

In other words, are there any stand-alone systems that one can just plug into wall that transfer the raw data from wall plug to computer just like if one would have cable connected to the same plug?

/jizmo

Old 04-14-2004, 12:38 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo
This might be pretty inept question, but I wonder if there are any solutions to getting a wireless homenetwork for my laptop and PPC without having a dedicated server with WLAN.

In other words, are there any stand-alone systems that one can just plug into wall that transfer the raw data from wall plug to computer just like if one would have cable connected to the same plug?

/jizmo
Yes, use WiFi Ad-hoc mode and share the Internet connection with ICS in Windows.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemkr
STATISTICS

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Autobiography of Mark Twain

Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:

/jizmo
Yes, use WiFi Ad-hoc mode and share the Internet connection with ICS in Windows.
or you can get a wirless router instead of an access point and they have software built in to share your internet connection see http://www.lynksys.com or search for access points on :google:

Old 04-14-2004, 08:24 PM
pacemkr
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemkr
STATISTICS

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Autobiography of Mark Twain
Thanks. :wink:

Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Quote:

/jizmo
or you can get a wirless router instead of an access point and they have software built in to share your internet connection see http://www.lynksys.com or search for access points on :google:
Yeah, actually that's the better idea. For some reason when I read that this morning I thouht he didn't want to have an access point/router, but I'm not sure now lol.

I have a Linksys WiFi router and WiFi-G AP. Working pretty well for me.