Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default I Want My M(obile) TV!

http://www.dottocomu.com/b/archives/001255.html

According to Dottocomu, Toshiba has put a TV tuner in a phone. "Vodafone Japan's latest handset, out in late April, is its second phone with a built-in TV tuner. The Toshiba-made V401T one-ups the previous model, NEC's V601N, by including an FM tuner as well as the TV, plus a 2.2-inch QVGA screen that should take some of the pain out of viewing at such reduced dimensions. It's possible to record stills and movies from TV broadcasts, though the lack of an external memory card limits you to 12 minutes at five frames per second using the 24MB of internal memory."

The TV tuner apparently sucks a lot of juice from the phones (they only last about an hour), but that's to be expected - cell phones don't have very large batteries. Could there be a mockup somewhere deep in the R&D bowels of Toshiba that integrates a TV tuner with an e-805 form factor, screen and battery? Combine the tuner with the already excellent ATI graphics chip in the unit, and you'd have a seriously killer device. What do you think? Would you like to see TV in a future Pocket PC, or would you rather rot your brain in a more productive way? :mrgreen:

Old 04-09-2004, 08:07 PM
piperpilot
Sage

I don't know if I would want a built-in TV tuner--the antennae make the device look a little to "retro" for my liking--but I would definitely be interested in an SDIO-based TV tuner that I could carry around in my Podzilla to kill time at the airport or to tune in to breaking news.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Horus
Pupil
Default samsung

I'm about 95% sure that Samsung did ship a PPC in Korea that had a built in TV tuner. Mobile video is seen as an important business segment particularly in Asia.
They must have better stuff on their broadcast channels than we have! I'd need a dish on my PPC to be happy. :-)

Old 04-09-2004, 08:10 PM
piperpilot
Sage
Default Re: samsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus
I'd need a dish on my PPC to be happy. :-)
Now you're talking :rock on dude!:

Old 04-09-2004, 08:26 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

That would be cool - pop in an SD card that has a TV tuner and an attahcment (maybe) for an antenna...

Not a bad idea!

Old 04-09-2004, 08:40 PM
24va
Intellectual

have the TV card, and antenna separate. Place BT in the antenna and BT the signal to the PPC
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com

Old 04-09-2004, 08:51 PM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

I'm wanting DVB-H TV, which should be well formatted for the Pocket PC and consumes little power. Just like on the Nokia phone 7700 coming out sometime...
Plus the MPEG-2 DVB format isn't that hard to decode either. I just wonder how the IP datacasting works on a radio technology basis...

Old 04-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Aerestis
Theorist

haha, no thankyou

Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24va
have the TV card, and antenna separate. Place BT in the antenna and BT the signal to the PPC
This sounds like a great idea... it would be nice to have a "TV module" that you can connect to your Pocket PC via bluetooth. It's like the new GPS modules that are coming out in groves.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Dermot81
Intellectual

sorry unless the picture comes in high def, i'm not interested!