Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-08-2004, 05:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default OS Upgrades & Updates � What the OEMs Owe You

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...=articles&id=37

Christopher Spera, at PocketNow has written a thought proving article about the recent HP and Dell decisions not to offer Windows 2003 Second edition upgrades to owners of current units, even if they were capable able of running it. We even get a namecheck in Christopher's atricle at one point. He starts with the basics: "There is one subtle term definition difference that I want to point out. A ROM Update is NOT an Operating System Upgrade. An update is a patch, support file, or other same/ current OS file that may or may not flash a devices ROM. Some updates are RAM updates. Some updates flash a device's ROM. The delivery is left to the device OEM. An Operating System upgrade is just like taking your desktop PC from Windows 98 to Windows XP. Not every PC got a WinXP upgrade. Not every PC was capable of being upgraded. The same can be said for Pocket PC's. However, an OS Upgrade will ALWAYS be a ROM update, and will always, always, ALWAYS require you to hard reset the device after applying it." So, that's three 'always', hold the exclamation marks. :wink:

"Any decent device OEM, despite the fact that they are not required to provide OS-device implemented bug fixes and patches, will provided them. HP is a shining example of this. They are constantly working to improve the functioning of their devices and continually provide support files and updates throughout the products documented life cycle. For example, HP recently released WM2003 ROM Updates for both the 2200 and 1940 series Pocket PC's. Honestly, I would expect this level of support from any and EVERY device manufacturer. Microsoft releases fixes and patches for Pocket PC OS all the time; but it is up to the individual device OEM to take those fixes and pull them into a build and distribution of their device's ROM. Not all OEM's are created equally." How very true. The petitions for the attention of Dell and HP are still growing strongly. Firms (that survive) do tend to listen to their customers, but, do they communicate well?

"However, the one thing that you're really entitled to...The one thing that Casio did with WM2003 for its E200; AND the one thing that Samsung/ Verizon and Pa1mOne have NOT done for their customers, is clear, honest, decisive, and timely communication. When Windows Mobile 2003's release was all the rage and every Pocket PC owner was curious about their specific device and if it was going to get an upgrade, Casio came out and quickly stated that it would NOT provide and update for the E200. It made a lot of E200 owners unhappy, but, as Casio explained, they weren't making the device any more, and it didn't make financial sense for them to provide an upgrade for a device that was no longer being manufactured. I can't blame them. Casio got out of Pocket PC's entirely..." Which was a sad day as they had made a lot of excellent devices.

Back on topic, what do you think of the level of support you are getting from your PPC manufacturer, including the OS upgrading/updating issues? Are you happy with them & would you buy from them again?

Old 04-08-2004, 05:25 AM
Mitch D
Sage

Good article but I think he's missing one key point; with a PC I can go out and buy an update to the next OS if my system will take it. By being forced to get OS updates from the PPC maker there is a certain implied understanding that they will make upgrades available to units that will run it.

But like PC OS upgrades we should have to pay a reasonable price for that upgrade. I have gotten over my annoyance with Dell; will I buy from them again? Depends on what they have to offer and for what price

Old 04-08-2004, 05:46 AM
jpaq
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch D
Good article but I think he's missing one key point; with a PC I can go out and buy an update to the next OS if my system will take it. By being forced to get OS updates from the PPC maker there is a certain implied understanding that they will make upgrades available to units that will run it.

But like PC OS upgrades we should have to pay a reasonable price for that upgrade. I have gotten over my annoyance with Dell; will I buy from them again? Depends on what they have to offer and for what price
I agree with Mitch.
Comparing PC's and PDA's is not a reasonable match-up.

As Mitch said. If my PC is capable, according to system requirements, I can go buy WinXP Pro and install it on my PC.

In the case of the PPC/Windows Mobile PDA, one of the stated, and in many cases advertised, requirements was upgradeability. If you'regoing to offer it, even advertise it, and you are the only possible source for it, you have an obligation to deliver it.

With the PC, I can install the OS, apply the new drivers for the various I/O devices, and move on.
With a PPC, I am dependent on the OEM for access to the ROM they use. The OS is dependent on the hardware that they use, and they are the only source for the drivers of their I/O devices.

If you are going to offer, and tout upgradeability and you are the only possible source of the upgrade, you are obligated to offer the upgrade.

On the support subject, it can be argued that a device that is in need of a patch or fix, etc. is defective, and through the warranty, the manufacturer is obligated to support or fix it.

Enough of this cr*&.
I think that there is one thing we can learn from this. In the best expression of the capitalist ideology, Compaq/HP is at the top of the PDA heap for several reasons, not the least of which is their ongoing support of their products and their willingness to make good on the upgradeability feature.

This is one reason why there is more than a strong chance that my next PDA will be an Ipaq.

Then again, that's just my two cents. Please see the lady at the window if you'd like your change or a refund. :mrgreen:
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 04-08-2004, 06:01 AM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Did I miss anything?

Casio did NOT pull out of the Pocket PC industry... well, at least in Japan... but if you are talking about the consumer PPCs for world wide consumption... then I guess they did...

Carlo

Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 AM
bigkingfun
Intellectual

I agree with some of the other posts that you can't compare PCs and PPCs directly. While I do think there are some differences between the two markets, I don't agree that the manufacturers are obligated to provide an upgrade to the OS.

Essentially, the manufacturer provides all the device drivers and hardware-specific code that is necessary to run the PPC. They need to write the corresponding code to make the OS upgrade work. By comparison, in the PC world, you have many manufacturers writing code (drivers primarily) to make their products work with an OS upgrade. While you can install an upgrade to Windows, you often have to track down updated drivers for your peripherals in order to make it all work. There have been many instances over the years where manufacturer have not provided driver upgrades for new versions of Windows. In most cases, these decisions affected older products, but once in a while you will find a manufacturer that chooses not to update a driver for a recent, or even a current product.

The basic difference is that in the PC world, a single manufacturer's decision to not support a new version of Windows doesn't stop you from upgrading. You have a choice to not upgrade, not use that product any more or replace it with something compatible. In the PPC world, a single manufacturer's decision to not support the OS upgrade means you can't upgrade period.

Having said all that, I think it is a poor business decision for a manufacturer to not upgrade a device that is technically capable of running the new version, particularly when that device is either current or very recent. I was a happy Toshiba e740 owner until they left me out in the cold. I would never buy another Toshiba PPC again. I've had 3 iPAQs, and because I am quite happy with HP's support, I'll likely have more.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Mitch makes a good point here... however the idea I was trying to get across is that PDA's are becoming more common place (I see them around town all the time...)

My idea was NOT to compare a PC to a PPC, but to give everyone a reference they could understand. Upgrading your desktop PC's OS is something that most everyone can relate to. Some novice PPC owners have asked me why they can't use one OS Upgrade on their PPC when it was made for another. I wanted to make certain that everyone could understand the BASIS that I was speaking from...Nothing more...AND I didn't want to belabor the issue.

I really DIDN"T compare a PPC to a Desktop PC. But I can see where it could be read that way...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Contributing Editor & Columnist

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

Old 04-08-2004, 06:58 AM
dangerwit
Intellectual

Once again, I find myself on the same page as Chris. (Sorry, lemme clean off my nose) On pdaphonehome, we've complained about this on our i700s incessantly. Ridiculous.

Companies are companies. They don't HAVE to care about what we want, but we all know that's self-destructive. They have to see value in providing support for their devices. My hope is that as time progresses, HP really takes a public stance about their devices being upgradeable and really starts putting the pressure on the competition; I agree, HP is tops on the list for this discussion (though they could do better). I'm talking like, a-big-guy-named-Bubba-falling-on-you kind of pressure.

Still, Average Joe doesn't probably care about being able to stay current. But if the vendors start making it a big deal, Average Joe may see the payoff.

The biggest mistake these vendors make is staying silent. I respect Casio's action, though I wouldn't have liked it if I were an owner. But they took a stand and quickly. We're STILL STILL STILL waiting to hear about the i700 and going to 2003 (not SE mind you). For shame.

Anyway, I've been looking into replacing my i700 phone, and the MPx looks great, yet the ipaq 6xxx has that support behind it, and I guarantee you that plays a factor in my decision very heavily. I will NOT buy another Samsung, nor likely a Verizon phone, simply because of this. If a company wants to treat me like a 2-year-old, then they can go eat poop, I'll take my $600+ elsewhere.

*Phil

Old 04-08-2004, 07:08 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
Pa1mOne
OT. I know you're quoting, but why people insist in writing this instead of the real name PalmOne. It's a lower case L not a number 1. :roll:

Old 04-08-2004, 08:28 AM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
Quote:
Pa1mOne
OT. I know you're quoting, but why people insist in writing this instead of the real name PalmOne. It's a lower case L not a number 1. :roll:
Maybe because it is a one?

pa1m0ne
vs
palmOne

See? The one with the 1 and zero is closer.

Surur

Old 04-08-2004, 08:58 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
Quote:
Pa1mOne
Maybe because it is a one?

pa1m0ne
vs
palmOne

See? The one with the 1 and zero is closer.

Surur
It's just the stupid font and effect that stupid marketing people decided to create. Visit http://www.palmone.com (see, it's an L not 1) and check the source of their pages. It's PalmOne everywhere.