Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Anthony Caruana
Sage
Default Smartphone? PDA? Which Way Do I Go?

Back in 1996 an upstart company developed a new piece of hardware called the Palm 1000. While the idea of a miniaturised computer was not new (think Star Trek) the fact that someone had actually been able to make one and design an operating system that could work within the limitations of such small hardware was a huge leap forward. It was one of those revolutionary events that hits an industry every few years.

Since then, things have come a long way. A competing platform, built around an operating system called Windows CE emerged and a platform war, reminiscent of Apple vs IBM was launched. The good thing about that war was that it gave rise to a rapid evolution that saw a number of different devices emerge. Some have come and gone while others are still evolving.

One of those developing platforms is the smartphone. Now, for the purpose of this piece, I�m going to define a smartphone as a device that offers connection to a telephone network, is able to be carried easily, lets you do more than just make phone calls and provides access to a data network. I know that this definition is broad but I�m going to go out on a limb and say that for a smartphone to be smart it needs to me more than a phone. However I�m not going to define what that �more� is. Also, the operating system is not important. That means that for me a smartphone is not just a device that runs Windows Mobile (or its antecedents). It might be running Linux, Symbian, Palm OS or some other operating system.

Likewise, when I talk about PDAs I�m going to remain operating system agnostic. Although the two most prominent platforms, Palm and Pocket PC/Windows Mobile, are different in many ways, for the purpose of this discussion they aren�t that different. I�d suggest that they deliver much of the same functionality, albeit in different ways.

Finally, if you�re reading this to get the answer to which is better, a PDA or a smartphone, then you can stop reading now. I�m not going to engage in that debate. Hopefully, by the end of this article you�ll understand why I simply can�t.

The Case for PDAs
The modern PDA is a bit of a marvel. Packed into a unit weighing less that 200 grams we get a fast processor, a substantial stash of memory, a bright colour screen and a plethora of different expansion and connectivity options. Typically the devices are around 4� by 3� and have several programmable buttons to invoke applications.

With a PDA you can take your diary, contacts and task list with you and have it synchronise back to your desktop Personal Information Management (PIM) software. But the real power of the PDA is in its ability to do many of the things that, in the not that distant past, you needed a PC for. With the modern PDA you can listen to music, manage your photo collection, create, read and edit documents, use spreadsheets for complex calculations, manage your email, and surf the Web. In fact, I�m writing this with just a PDA and an external keyboard. I�m connected to the Internet so I can do a Google search if I need to do some research as I go and, if the kids' TV gets too loud in the background, I can use my device to turn the volume down with remote control software.

As long as you�re prepared to compromise on a few things, a well accessorised PDA can almost replace a notebook PC for many travellers. In my case, I was able to ditch my notebook at work. I just use a desktop PC and my PDA most days. Because my PDA is so flexible, I can even use it for showing PowerPoint presentations with the right external hardware and software.

The Case for Smartphones
Cell phones have evolved greatly since they first started becoming widely used in the 1980s. Watch the first Lethal Weapon movie and you�ll see what I mean. They are much smaller, have better range and now pack features such as cameras, colour screens and desktop PIM synchronisation.

There are many devices that satisfy my earlier definition of a smartphone. So, to make things a little clearer I�ll name a few that I think qualify as smartphones. Remember, I am being operating system/platform agnostic.
  • Motorola MPx 200;
  • iMate/XDA smartphone;
  • Nokia N-Gage;
  • Sony Ericsson P900;
  • Sony Ericsson T630;
  • Treo 600;
  • XDA2.
Now, I know you�re thinking that I must have lost my marbles. Basically, any phone can qualify as a smartphone. Well, given the way modern cell phones have evolved that�s probably true.

Smartphones offer you the ability to converge your cell phone and PDA into a single device. For example, with a smartphone you can make calls, check your diary and remotely access your email. Some even let you take photos and listen to music. However, where they differ most significantly to PDAs is with data input. While PDAs have touch screens, handwriting recognition and soft keyboards, smartphones are limited to the numeric keypad with a couple of extra keys and buttons to assist with navigation. That�s why, in my opinion, the smartphone is mainly a data reading device. The main exceptions to this are using SMS and entering some contact details.

Now, in my list of devices I consider smartphones, I listed some devices that could be considered somewhat controversial. The Nokia N-Gage is the only device that I know of that combines handheld gaming with a telephone. But don�t think of the N-Gage as a telephone. Think of it as a connected gaming device. It�s designed for playing multiplayer games over the Internet via GPRS. The fact that you can use it as a phone is merely a bonus. The Sony Ericsson T630 is on my list as it lets you easily synchronise PIM data from your PC.

For me, the really blurry area is the space covered by the Pocket PC Phone Edition devices like the XDA2 and the Palm's Treo 600. These devices are PDAs that include cell phone functions. I�ve had the good fortune to be able to use both and I was pretty tempted to give up my current PDA for one of these. But, I like my phone to be pretty compact so that I can carry it in the pocket of my jeans comfortably. However, both are splendid devices.

Decisions, Decisions�
When trying to decide whether you need a PDA or a smartphone, the first thing you�ll need to consider is what is the problem you are trying to solve? Let�s work through a couple of scenarios to help you work out what you need. I�ve intentionally chosen scenarios that are quite different, extreme if you will. But I think they serve to show the fundamental difference between these two devices.

The Road Warrior
OK, so you do a bit of travelling but not enough to justify buying a notebook or Tablet PC. You need to be able to take some notes and manage your calendar while on the road (making and changing appointments and setting tasks in a To Do list).

The Manager
You�re out of the office occasionally and carry a laptop during your extensive travel. When out and about you need to be able to read your calendar but, as your assistant actually manages your schedule, you rarely type information into it yourself.

The Road Warrior is a remote data manager. He or she needs to be able to update data on the fly. Rather than carry a notebook PC (with the overhead of size and start up time) a PDA is an ideal compromise. You can use it for data input fairly easily, it�s easy to carry and has negligible start up time.

The Manager just needs to read his or her data and send and receive phone calls. Data input is not a big deal. As long as it has a clear display and simple navigation, a smartphone will serve nicely. The smartphone is a good solution for this as it saves the Manager from having to carry yet another device or a bunch of papers. With its support for remote connectivity with GPRS, the Manager can have PIM data updated while away with reasonable ease.

The Middle Ground
Now, hybrid devices like the Treo 600 and XDA2 form the middle ground in this equation. I�m going to take a stand and say that they will not be around for all that long. I predict that in a couple of years they will only be sold in small, niche markets and that smartphones that look like phones will take up their market share. I don�t think that there�s anything wrong with that type of device. However, they are too big to be carried around as an everyday cell phone and they are too complex for a mass market to use.

Devices like the Motorola MPx 200 are far easier to use and easily fit into the pocket of your jeans. Such a device lets you access the Internet, read your diary and keep your personal data synchronised with your desktop PIM. They are easy to use and have a familiar form factor.

Conclusion
If you were hoping that by now I�d have changed my mind and decided to tell you which is better PDA or smartphone - rest assured, I�m still not going to tell you. However, I�ll tell you what I use myself.

I�m currently using an iPAQ 2210 and two different cell phones (Sony Ericsson T68i and a T630). Also, over the last few weeks I�ve had the opportunity to use a number of different smartphones as part of a writing assignment for Australian Personal Computer magazine.
Armed with this experience, the combination of a PDA and a well equipped telephone works best for me. I use my PDA as a lightweight replacement for a notebook computer. With a VGA-out card and a folding keyboard and some great software there�s not much I can�t do with it.

However, in my �real� job I act as a technology consultant for the senior management at the company I work for. Most of the managers there just need to be able to carry their diaries with them and don�t need the complexity of a PDA. A smartphone works well for them. They can keep the amount of hardware they carry around to a minimum and maintain a simple computing environment.

Both the PDA and the smartphone are great devices. Both serve their purposes well and it�s impossible to say which is better. The answer to which is better is about as easy to answer as what is the nicest food? It really just depends on what you want and like.

Old 05-14-2004, 06:58 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Good points but

While I think these are really good points, I still see some other options. I see many of the ordinary people being quite happy with many of the features going into thier phone. They will like the features and some iwll begin to use them frequently others will never understand how to use the features in the first place. I don't see many PDa users switching to a smart phone, unless the input functionality is dealt with in another way. The input abliity on phones are far to limited for those of us using our PDA daily.

I see the the full PDA remaining strong if companies can every get thier act together and make blue tooth interaction with thier phone much easier, and much more available. I think most business and high end users will go this route, allowing them the flexabilty of the small p-hone and all the power and input options of a PDA.

I still think there is hope for the XDA / Treo crowd. I think these devices will change and shrink. I don't think they will become entirely turned into the standard phone, with no other input besides keypad. These devices help the everyday user of a pocket pc who basically carries a pocket pc with them daily anyways. They have no reason to have a seperate smaller phone, because they count on having thier PDA with them for scheduling, music, and other pim uses. I think these devices will stay around, and target the users that always needs both devices with them. How many people carry an Ipod with them almost every where they go?

As voice recognition improves to the point of common adoption, I think that is when you will finally see the PDA really absorbed into the phone size devices. This would allow most of the functionality to be built in with a much smaller screen and smaller device. Also I think benable screens will help with this adoption as well. The ability to have a small cell phone device that can roll out a 4 inch screen for video and other applications would change the entire design of all pdas. I don't see either of these really changing the market for at least 5 if not ten years, because of cost, performance, and slow adoption rates.

I will agree that there really are those 3 current categories in use, and that each suits a different type of user. The only user that was left out are the ones, that hate all the feautres added to cell phones, and don't understand why color screens are being added to destroy their battery life and can barely find a regular simple phone anymore. hehe they might have the hardest time.

good article.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Evee Ev
Intellectual
Default all-in-one

the all-in-one convergency is great. however, i look at some of the smartphones and i can't imagine myself typing e-mails, sms messages, etc. on a phone keypad.

i would much rather prefer something like the treo 600. you have both the stylus and keyboard options all in one device.

i also would opt for the bluetooth phone and bluetooth enable ppc. that combo would be great. i always drain my battery playing tecmo super bowl.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:16 PM
SeanH
Theorist

Great article.

All three devices (laptop, PDA, and cell) will have there place for many years to come. I hope they keep making all three devices smaller/thinner and more integrated. It is true that many people carry there phone and iPod everywhere. If a PPC had better battery life could easily replace the iPod. Bluetooth is the key to getting all the devices to work together. With Bluetooth you can:

- Answer your phone with a Bluetooth ear piece.
- Listen to your MP3�s with an ear piece.
- Use your cars hands free to dial and talk on the phone in the car.
- Play MP3�s from the laptop or PDA over Bluetooth to a hands free kit. This is will be intergraded into the many cars audio system in the near future.
- You can sync your Laptop�s contact/address/tasks/note information to your PDA and phone
- Use your Bluetooth GPS to send info to the PDA or Laptop
- Use the GPS data to give voice prompts over the PDA over the car radio or an ear piece to guild you on your route.
- Use GPRS data to reroute the GPS software were there are accidents or road construction.
- Best of all surf the net using the PDA or Laptop over Bluetooth to a GPRS enabled phone.

All these are possible with out wires today using a combination of all three devices. This is a link of my current three devices (the second post)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...26729&start=30

Sean

Old 05-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I'm one of those people who always carried my PPC and my phone around with me...one in my left pocket, the other in my right.

So when I got my PPC Phone, I only had to carry around one device instead of two. :mrgreen: For me, it's the best device I've ever owned.

But for someone who carries their PDA in a purse or briefcase (or doesn't carry it around with them at all) a Phone Edition device would't be a good idea.

Anyway, very good article! Those are some insightful points. As I tell people about my PPC Phone, I'll have to direct them to this article for further information.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaninc
I'm one of those people who always carried my PPC and my phone around with me...one in my left pocket, the other in my right.
Ryan, I'm the exact same way. I carry a SE T610 in one pocket, and iPaq in my other pocket.

I would love to give up both devices for one that converged the two, but I really don't like any of the Pocket PC phone devices that are currently available. They all seem kind of big for my needs. I am waiting for something like a Treo 600 to come out on the Pocket PC side.

Personally, I also think that devices like the Treo 600 will have a limited audience, but that audience will be the people that surf this web site.

Most people that don't want the power of a PDA will probably just go with a regular cell phone, and maybe use the limited PIM functionality that's available. I don't see Microsoft's Smartphone OS becoming really popular, except for in countries where people are used to typing with predictive text already..

Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmusa
I don't see Microsoft's Smartphone OS becoming really popular, except for in countries where people are used to typing with predictive text already..
That's one of the best thing about the PPC Phone. I can send SMS messages in seconds. I use transcriber or the keyboard and just whip them out. My friends who have regular phones are always amazed at how quickly I can send a long message. I'll write in full sentences with punctuation and the reply I get back will be "R U there?" 8)

The only advantage I can see to the Smartphone OS devices is their size. You're right that the current batch of PPC Phone devices are fairly big. But, personally, I'm willing to live with the size for the features.

But I'm looking forward to the new, hopefully smaller devices, too! :mrgreen:

Old 05-14-2004, 11:34 PM
SeanH
Theorist

I have had this phone for about two months. It is great for SMS and emails. The keyboard is great it makes typing very fast and when its folded its very small. The phone has a full SMTP/POP3 email client. The phone has bluetooth. It would be great to be able to use the phones keyboard on PPC over Bluetooth. But it does not do that yet.

Sean

Old 05-15-2004, 06:54 AM
Dennis
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmusa
I am waiting for something like a Treo 600 to come out on the Pocket PC side.

Personally, I also think that devices like the Treo 600 will have a limited audience, but that audience will be the people that surf this web site.
I agree with you, Treo 600 is a great device that only needs to carry Bluetooth and a better screen to be a perfect 2004 device.

Where I don't agree is to say that Treo 600-like devices will only be a niche market in the future.
I think that Treo 600 (and before it Treo 270 - the evolution between the two generations prove my point) is only the beginning of a new trend that will appeal to the upper-end market: executives, road warriors, etc. because it answers their needs:
Write a report, stay in contact with their base (and not only for updating their appointments), carry around their files and update them when necessary, make presentation... the list is endless.
In another word: at time replace the laptop as we know it.

I believe that in a few years time, laptops will be replaced by Tablet PC computers which will compete against enhanced Treo 600-like devices.
The soon-to-come Motorola Mpx seems to be a good example of what can be expected.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:26 PM
mrkablooey
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to mrkablooey

I have a Treo 300 on Sprint PCS that I use for phone/messaging. I'm looking at converting to T-Mobile and am considering their PDA/Phone combo.

There are two problems.

1. I hate dialing on the Treo. Tapping a flat screen with a finger or stylus is not as easy/quick as pushing buttons.
2. The size.

What I'm guessing I'll do is get a Bluetooth enabled phone (T610 or whichever model it is they offer) and pair it up with my iPaq 2215 if I need to send a [longer] message.

Hopefully that will suffice.