Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default What Issues Should I Take to Microsoft?

On Sunday afternoon, I'm leaving for the Microsoft MVP Summit, held in Redmond, Washington. At the MVP Summit several team members from this site will have a chance to interact with Microsoft Product Managers and give them product feedback. These sessions can get somewhat heated, especially when the MVPs feel passionate about certain issues (close button, DRM, and eBooks come to mind). What I'd like to know, on behalf of all the Thoughts Media team members who will be there, is what are the issues you'd like us to raise? What are some of the top issues you run into, some of the most frustrating scenarios that you wish worked differently?

This can be anything from a specific feature missing from an application to a core issue with the operating system. I can't promise we'll have enough time to pass along 100% of your feedback, but I give you my personal commitment that I'll do my best to make sure Microsoft is aware of the issues that you're facing. So what should I tell them?

Old 04-03-2004, 12:10 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

Not just because it's timely right now with a new OS update imminent but because it's an issue that is revisited every update. It would be great if MS could somehow pressure OEMs to provide updates for any device that is still in the retail channel. I think MS should have enough clout to prevent this flurry of petitions every time an update is released by MS.

Laying it all on the OEMs is just a cop out in my book.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Gator5000e
Intellectual

Jason, this request is my one major complaint with WM 2003 and it's fore runners. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it takes up a ton of space as I use my Axim to sync with my office e-mail.

The gripe is that when you tell P-Inbox to save attachments to a storage card and you have a built in-storage, like on the Axim, it thinks the built in-storage is the storage Axim and saves all the attachments to built-in storage.

I would really like to see MS fix this problem by allowing you to choose from the 4 options, Main Memory, Built-In Storage, SD or CF Card. I know some have suggested registry hacks to fix this and I have tried those but have not gotten them to work.

See what the MVPs say. Thanks Jason.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:20 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Connection Mangler

Old 04-03-2004, 12:21 AM
arnage2
Oracle

make wifi syncing with a pc&ppc more seamless and easily done.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Two really good first suggestions there! :edit Four really good suggestions! 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendrick
Not just because it's timely right now with a new OS update imminent but because it's an issue that is revisited every update. It would be great if MS could somehow pressure OEMs to provide updates for any device that is still in the retail channel. I think MS should have enough clout to prevent this flurry of petitions every time an update is released by MS.
Totally, totally agree. I don't understand why Dell and the others are refusing an additional revenue stream in having us pay for an upgrade. Well, actually I do kind of understand - it's because each manufacturer has to roll their own updates for each device. :? So either MS could change the OS so we could update the relevant parts ourselves, as Jkendrick suggested, they could 'suggest' that the OEMs offer the upgrades each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I would really like to see MS fix this problem by allowing you to choose from the 4 options, Main Memory, Built-In Storage, SD or CF Card. I.
That would indeed, be fantastic to have fixed/enhanced.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:23 AM
garrans
Ponderer

3 things I'd like to see fixed:

a) Better connection management - switching between BT, WiFi, dialup etc. Apps get confused, especially when connections break.

b) Bluetooth connections. If you have a device which is being connected to, and the device doesn't communicate.... its reset time, because you can't get past the app causing the BT connection screen to pop up.

c) Inbox - I have major problems with synching, causing exchange to crash ... I'm about to fork over money for MS support.

Thanks. Steve.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:26 AM
toml
Pupil

A full featured in-box on the PPC!

Most importantly, the pop3 settings should have an option to remove mail from the server after it's downloaded. Then when synced with your PC, any messages you had saved on your PPCs inbox would be moved across.

As it is, the PPC inbox is utterly useless to me and I can't see how anyone could use it for retreiving e-mail on the road. I can't do e-mail triage on it as anything I download and look at I just have to download and look at again on my PC!

Old 04-03-2004, 12:27 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml
A full featured in-box on the PPC!

Most importantly, the pop3 settings should have an option to remove mail from the server after it's downloaded. Then when synced with your PC, any messages you had saved on your PPCs inbox would be moved across.

As it is, the PPC inbox is utterly useless to me and I can't see how anyone could use it for retreiving e-mail on the road. I can't do e-mail triage on it as anything I download and look at I just have to download and look at again on my PC!
Agree totally. I have set up a hosted exchange server so I can use Outlook Web Access from the PPC so I can avoid this problem.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Glisson
Ponderer

One thing that drives me nuts is when you open P-Word or Notes and it shows you EVERY file on your PDA that it can read. Why can't it just work like um, I dunno, WINDOWS on your PC!? Just show me the files in the directory I am currently browsing and remember which folder I was in last next time I open P-Word. I tend to compartmentalize my files depending on what the topic is. If I want my shopping list I would look in a folder on my CF card called Personal. A file showin Allen-Bradley overload sizing for AB starters ( electrician thing ) it would be in my Electrical folder. I have always thought that PPC handles this very poorly. Am I alone? Hell just let me set them to use Resco File Explorer instead of the crappy PPC file explorer style of searching. It just sucks wind.

Glisson