Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-30-2004, 02:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Ipaq 1940/22xx and New Nokias Don�t Play Well Together?

http://www.pc-counselor.com/h221x.htm

PiatekHS reports that the new Nokia 6820 and 6230 aren�t able to interoperate via Bluetooth with the HP1940 and 22xx series of IPaq. It seems that there is an issue that the IPaqs do not support 'combination' authorisation which the new Nokias require.

WIDCOMM have put out a Technote about this: �There are two types of keys that can be used for pairing:- Combination keys (&) - Unit keys. The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software does not control this setting. The radio on the iPaq 1940 uses unit keys by default. The Nokia 6820 phone rejects the use of unit keys in pairing because it is not as secure as combination keys.�

There apparently are a lot of posts on HP's web site regarding this issue and a rumour that the ROM update would fix it and further confirmation that it hasn't. The v1.10 ROM certainly did not work for PiatekHS anyway�� Has anyone else seen this issue or got any more info about it?

Old 03-30-2004, 02:05 AM
brianchris
Philosopher
Default Re: Ipaq 1940/22xx and New Nokias Don�t Play Well Together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software does not control this setting.

....a rumour that the ROM update would fix it and further confirmation that it hasn't. The v1.10 ROM certainly did not work for PiatekHS anyway
Unless I'm mis-understanding something, I wouldn't expect a ROM update to fix a firmware problem, correct?

Old 03-30-2004, 03:02 AM
HTK
Intellectual

That�s nice, technology thats does not work

Old 03-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Just stopped in to say Bluetooth su� oh youlknow already.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:32 AM
jimski
Philosopher

No, Bluetooth is fine. It's just all the imbeciles that keep screwing up the implementation.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski
No, Bluetooth is fine. It's just all the imbeciles that keep screwing up the implementation.
How is it fine if the SIG for BT won't enforce strict guidelines for interoperability?

One of the best things about competing or preceeding technologies such as IrDA, various IEEE cabling, USB, etc is that there were interoperability testing events that would benchmark compatibility between multiple devices, software, etc. I have not heard of the Bluetooth SIG doing this kind of rigorous testing.

In the beginning, it is expected that new technology standards would have some growing pains, but BT is now several years into the making and I see no maturity in its certification guidelines and certainly no enforcement. It is perhaps, the manufacturers that are poorly implementing Bluetooth, but without strong oversight by the larger group, that phenomenon just won't change. I fault the BT SIG for not taking a stronger stand.

With few exceptions (serial cable, IR, and mono headset/mic replacement,) I see no market strength in BT even though I realize the raw potential. I really hope it does take off, but each day that new stories like this come out is just another stab wound on the already feable body of Bluetooth. I think only Microsoft now can create the standardization momentum it needs to have real staying power. Lets see what WinXPSE brings and hope it is not too late.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Dodson65
Neophyte

And what about the other pocket pPC?

I use a 3970 with WM2003 and would like to buy a Nokia 6230 soon.
Can I use Bluetooth to connect them?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 AM
T-Will
Sage

The joys of Bluetooth...please just die already. :byebye: (or enforce strict guidelines like JonnoB said)

Old 03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
manywhere
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to manywhere

The reason for the new pairing procedure is here:
http://www.bluetooth.com/upload/24Security_Paper.pdf
Look for chapter "1.2.1. Unit keys".

Forum Nokia's Disussion forum seems to be hot on the same subject too:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...5&pagenumber=2

No one has found a hack yet, so it seems to be up to Widcomm and/or Nokia (not Bluetooth SIG -- who are just sitting on their fats behinds doing nothing for the standard but destroying it :evil: ) to update it. Don't expect Nokia to do that, however, they are strictly driven to enforce security and not allow security holes to be available in their products. Hence, Widcomm may have to help us on this subject. :cry:

Anyone care to start an complaint signature collection to the Bluetooth SIG? If you do, let me know ASAP! :twisted:

Old 03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
YohanDK
Neophyte
Default Huh?

I have the HP iPAQ H4150 and just got the Nokia 6230. I paired them up without any problems at all and the bluetooth connection works perfectly! I wasn't even aware of a new pairing procedure. It was the same as with all my previous phones...

I hope the rest of you will have the same succes. HP H4150 and Nokia 6230 are both GREAT products that I highly recommend, and connected with (the IMHO wonderful technology) bluetooth they work together flawless!

My2cents...