Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default More Windows Mobile 2003, Second Edition Upgrading Goodness from HP?

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/review...ile_2003_se.php

IPAQabilities have a Windows Mobile 2003, Second Edition Overview, with a sting in the tail. They report the following: "My contact at HP has informed me that HP will be releasing a ROM update for current iPAQ Pocket PC's from the H2200 series and up (H2200, H4100, H4300, H5100, and H5500 series). Even though I asked, there was no timeline given to me as to when we can expect the ROM updates to become available at HP's Support website.� So far so good, but��..

�Yes, that means the H1900, H3600, H3700, H3800, H3900, and H5400 series are being left out since these are not current models. This will quite potentially upset owners of those iPAQ's, especially the one's looking forward to these enhancements provided by Microsoft. Even though the H193x and H194x are current models, they are being left out because of memory limitations on its ROM. Furthermore, future iPAQ Pocket PC's that will get released by HP will ship with Windows Mobile 2003, Second Edition pre-installed.� Note that this is not currently official, but it does not look good. :|

Is this more OEMs testing the water, or a worrying sign of things to come? First Toshiba, then Dell and now HP are leaving their users without an upgrade path for really very recent devices. If there is not enough Flash ROM available then that�s one thing, but there is enough for a lot of these devices that are not going to be supported. These are *Pocket PCs* we�re talking about here. :roll: They are designed and marketed to be upgradeable. PPC2003 was faster and more stable than PPC2002 for me, and like most of you, I was looking forward to the enhancements of PPC2003SE. Toshiba learned, will Dell & HP learn it time as well? :?: It's not like we want these for free for slightly older devices. We are willing to pay a reasonable fee for the upgrade - it's only fair.

Let�s hope that there is still time to change the manufacturer�s minds about this. :?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:14 PM
c38b2
Intellectual

By now I'm quite sick of your griping about OEMs not providing upgrades. I think this site sums up my opinons nicely:

http://www.thepdaguy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=51

Old 03-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Zensbikeshop
Intellectual

I may be wrong... but I don't think I've ever seen a PPC advertsied with OS Upgrade as a USP.

I think expecting upgrades for 3600 series is ridiculous! That's a 3 year old PDA.

The 1900 series has too small a ROM so there can't be an upgrade for those.

I think 3900 and 5400 should be supported but at the end of the HP are in business to make money - they have a responsibility to their share holders to do so and as such they need to sell new PDAs not extend the life of old ones.

I think some people need to be a little more realistic. You weren't promised OS upgrades when you bought your PPC so if you get one view it as the bonus that it is.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by c38b2
By now I'm quite sick of your griping about OEMs not providing upgrades. I think this site sums up my opinons nicely:

http://www.thepdaguy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=51
Thank you for your kind comments. 8)

Actually I think that the article you cite agrees with what I'm saying: "

Quote:
There's been lots of debate over whether the OEMs that make and sell Pocket PCs should offer operating system upgrades to their customers. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they shouldn't have to but that they should if they are customer focussed.
I'm just reporting that many users are asking their Manufactures to support them. Manufactures that do will have the change to show that they are customer focused - and will get repeat business.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:25 PM
c38b2
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
Actually I think that the article you cite agrees with what I'm saying
The article also mentions that it is the benevolence of the OEMs, nothing else, that allows people to upgrade:
Quote:
When I buy my Pocket PCs, I don't expect operating system upgrades. Just because a new operating system is available it doesn't make my current device any less useful. Sure, there might be better ways to do things but your current devcie is still working isn't it?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by c38b2
The article also mentions that it is the benevolence of the OEMs, nothing else, that allows people to upgrade
Yes, and it's my 'benevolence' of buying their units, expecting decent customer service that keeps them in business.

Capitalism - choices - responding to customer demands etc.

There is nothing unreasonable in asking for an upgrade we are willing to pay for. Especially for current systems like the Dell X5 and X3.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensbikeshop
I may be wrong... but I don't think I've ever seen a PPC advertsied with OS Upgrade as a USP.
They are sold with Flash ROM and are touted as being upgradable. It's not a Unique Selling Point beucase ALL PPCs can do this.

Quote:
I think expecting upgrades for 3600 series is ridiculous! That's a 3 year old PDA.
I'm not expecing it, I'm reporting it that another site have posted a story about it.

Quote:
1900 series has too small a ROM so there can't be an upgrade for those.
As I said in my original post.

Quote:
I think some people need to be a little more realistic. You weren't promised OS upgrades when you bought your PPC so if you get one view it as the bonus that it is.
I don't expect a free upgrade. I paid Dell �22.33 for the PPC2003 upgrade. I'm willing to pay to cover the costs. Especially for a current unit. Good customer service is not a bonus - it decides if you get repeat customers!

Old 03-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Jaap van Ees
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Jaap van Ees
Default Very disturbing, indeed

I find this very disturbing. Sure, I can understand that this is relatively new technology. With the current pace of innovation, new models are being released with extremely short intervals. Of course, money still has to be made. Apparently this is being done by, amongst other things, I am sure, cutting back on the support for devices less than 18 months old.

Yes, I had to pay for the upgrade to WM2003: the iPaq 5450 hit the Dutch market after the free upgrade deadline. I didn't like it, but � 75 is still a lot less than �700 for a newer device. Now it seems I can't even buy :evil: the WM2003SE upgrade for my iPaq 5450.

This can only mean one thing: with upgrade paths this short, I will have to think hard before spending another euro on this technology. Well, not on HP products, at least. I have been checking the Toshiba E800 though ....

Old 03-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

I don't think we can expect PDA companies to provide Operating System upgrades for PDAs after it has been purchased, not even for current PDA models. It's definitely nice when a company does, but it's absolutely not required.

I guess this comes from my experience with Palm. My first Palm came with OS 3.5, but then OS 4 came out. Palm didn't upgrade any existing models and I only bundled it with their new handhelds. Of course, then OS 5 came out, but that was a completely different operating system architecture, so no one could have expected their handhelds to be upgradeable.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

Old 03-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Re: Very disturbing, indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap van Ees
This can only mean one thing: with upgrade paths this short, I will have to think hard before spending another euro on this technology. Well, not on HP products, at least. I have been checking the Toshiba E800 though ....
Totaly agree.

I'm planning to get a new VGA unit myself anyway, but I will be passing the X5 onto someone else, who could use the extra capability. The X5 and a lot of these units are more than capable of running PPC2003SE.

This is not charity - it is good business sense.