Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual
Default Seeing Things Clearly: The JavoScreen Review

Product Category: Screen Protectors
Manufacturer: Javo Edge
Where to Buy: Javo Edge
Price: $10.95 USD
Specifications: JavoScreen protectors are available for a variety of PDAs.

Pros:
  • Protect your screen;
  • Prevent glare;
  • Hide fingerprints.
Cons:
  • Like all adhesive protectors, a bit tricky to install.
Summary:
The JavoScreen protectors are another great choice to keep your screen scratch-free and clean. They have a paper-like texture and prevent glare.

Read on for the full review!

Overview
The JavoScreen is just another screen protector, right? Well... yes and no. Yes, it's a screen protector, but, it has enough features to keep it in the short list of my favorite screen protectors. I've had a JavoScreen on my iPAQ 1945 for a couple of weeks now to see how it performs.

Figure 1: The JavoScreen on my iPAQ. Notice the nice glare protection.

The best thing about the JavoScreen is that it blocks glare. I did not realize how important this was until I started reading eBooks on my iPAQ. When using the naked screen, it is like looking in a mirror while reading. Not a big deal but it does get annoying after a while. Also, I tend to touch the screen to flip pages, which leaves smudges. The textured JavoScreen prevents fingerprints from appearing on the screen.

Installation
I was plenty surprised to open the JavoScreen package. It includes not just the protector but a cleaning cloth and an installation card. Since I was already using a protector, my screen was pretty clean. I pulled off the old protector and used the JavoScreen cleaning cloth to touch up a couple of spots. The cleaning cloth is lint free and was just what I needed.

Figure 2: The JavoScreen installation kit.

After my last experience with a screen protector, I knew that I had to be very careful installing the JavoScreen. Instead of waiting around for dust to settle, I immediately geared up to apply the JavoScreen. I carefully peeled off the backing and centered the protector on my iPAQ. I quickly applied the protector to my screen and voila, bubbles... now what?... wait... I grabbed the installation card (a thin cardstock tool) and smoothed out the JavoScreen. No bubbles, lint, or dust, a perfect installation. Whew! The cleaning cloth and installation card are a nice touch. Not really necessary but definitely a welcome addition.

Unique Features
The JavoScreen has all of the features you expect from a screen protector: thin, fairly easy to apply/remove, and durable. What makes the JavoScreen stand out is that it has both a glare-reducing coating and a textured surface. The JavoScreen does a fantastic job of reducing glare, especially outdoors. No more mirror effect. The glare reduction does not degrade the display quality of my screen. Some protectors tend to wash-out the picture, but not the JavoScreen. Everything looks as crisp and sharp as usual.

Figure 3: Glare with my iPAQ off. (Extreme conditions)

Figure 4: Glare with my iPAQ on. (Extreme conditions)

These two pictures show the worst possible glare you'll see with a JavoScreen. These were taken with my iPAQ about four inches from a powerful Halogen desk lamp. There's no way to get around seeing a reflection given these conditions. But, as you can see in the pictures, you don't see the light bulb or fixture. You only see the light emitted.

I was not a fan of the texture on the JavoScreen at first. I thought I preferred a smooth screen. After a few days of using the JavoScreen though, I forgot all about the texture, and realized I was starting to like it. Jotting down memos is very natural with the texture; it feels like writing on paper instead of a screen. As I mentioned before, the texture also keeps your screen from collecting fingerprints. Now that I'm used to the texture, I really like it. It gives a nice tactile feedback when sliding around the screen.

Conclusions
The JavoScreen is an excellent screen protector. In just a couple weeks I have become a big fan. The glare reduction and texture are my favorite features. I would miss them both if I were to switch to a different screen protector.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

How does this compare to other screen protectors? Like Boxwave, or Martin Fields? Since this model has a matte finish, it sounds similar to Boxwave or Brando.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
maximum360
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to maximum360

How does it compare to Pocketpctechs Writeshields?

Old 04-02-2004, 06:19 PM
garrans
Ponderer

Help me out. I tried some screen protectors from Belkin I bought at my local Office Depot.

In a word... they sucked:

- Was like looking through a shower door
- Wasn't able to affix without bubbles (tried twice)

I returned them for a full refund, but I'd still like to protect my screen.

Are these any different ?

Old 04-02-2004, 06:22 PM
wesley762
Ponderer

I would like to see them in a comparson to the writeshields to. I am a pretty die hard writeshield fan. this would be a intresting thing to see.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Fuzzy John
Pupil

It may be too early for this, but is there anything to show the durability of this protector?

In the past I used WriteShields. About a month ago I got a BoxWave protector for my new HP 2215. Maybe it is my imagination, but I think I started seeing the slightly different texture in the writing area. If I remember right I started seeing this on the WriteShield protector about 3 to 4 months into use. That would make the WriteShield more durable. I had it on my Dell Axim X5 screen for over a year.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:39 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

this picture leads me to believe that
JavoEdge and BoxWave use the same OEM.

I currently have a BoxWave installed and I like it a lot better than the WriteShield I had previously. But then, I haven't been using it for too long so that impression may change as the months go past.[/img]

Old 04-02-2004, 07:54 PM
ignar
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy John
It may be too early for this, but is there anything to show the durability of this protector?

In the past I used WriteShields. About a month ago I got a BoxWave protector for my new HP 2215. Maybe it is my imagination, but I think I started seeing the slightly different texture in the writing area. If I remember right I started seeing this on the WriteShield protector about 3 to 4 months into use. That would make the WriteShield more durable. I had it on my Dell Axim X5 screen for over a year.
I got the same impression. Boxwave cleartouch is a good screen protector, but in terms of durability, I think Brando and WriteShields are better.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
How does this compare to other screen protectors? Like Boxwave, or Martin Fields? Since this model has a matte finish, it sounds similar to Boxwave or Brando.
Yes, these are similar to Boxwave or Brando. I tried out the Martin Fields protectors and really liked them. I'm still undecided as to which I like better though. I really like the smooth feel of the Martin Fields. But I like the glare protection of the JavoScreen.

The perfect screen protector for me would be smooth, glare reducing, and adhesive. I tried the G2 protectors a long time ago and had so much trouble installing them that I gave up.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:06 PM
LWesson
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
[img=http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/remhof-mar04-jscreen-2.jpg]this picture[/img] leads me to believe that
JavoEdge and BoxWave use the same OEM.

I currently have a BoxWave installed and I like it a lot better than the WriteShield I had previously. But then, I haven't been using it for too long so that impression may change as the months go past.
Boxwave & javoedge are using the same product. Our WriteSHIELD is a different material that does last longer based on user feedback.

I'm curious as to why you like the Boxwave better than the WS.