Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default PocketNow Review Ambicom's CompactFlash FM Receiver

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...=reviews&id=348

There's many things that Pocket PCs are great for, and listening to music is one of them. Jason Machtemes at PocketNow agrees. "One of the things I use my Pocket PC the most for would have to be listening to music throughout the day. Now, the music I listen to doesn't get cycled that often so it gets kinda stale. Sometimes I just itch for something new or different. Now, thanks to Ambicom, I can listen to the radio by just slipping in their CF FM Receiver Card, and I have instant radio in the palm of my hand." Or in your shirt pocket or PDA clip holder, but you get his drift. :wink:

The review runs through most of the stuff you'll want to know about the device, including the classic line: "Last but not least is the mystery button, it is located under the "PWR" button and it is purple. I really have no clue what this button does!!!" Ah yes � the purple button � don�t leave home without one! :lol:

Investigative reviewing at its finest. :wink: Only kidding, it's a decent run-through of the pros and cons of the CompactFlash FM Receiver with a fair few photos as well. Certainly worth popping over there if you want your PDA (or laptop) to access a different kind of wireless 'network' altogether.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:41 AM
enemy2k2
Theorist
Default inbuilt

IMHO radio tuners should come standard on PPCs considering how cheap the chips are. I just don't get it. This tuner is a pretty neat idea but I don't think I'd want to waste the CF slot on it especially considering one could get an auto-scan mini tuner for about $5 or so. I would love it if my PPC had the capability built in. I hope eventually manufacturers begin adding low cost yet useful features like this. Oh yeah, one other thing, whatever happened to the AM band? I've noticed that cell phones or MP3 players that do have a tuner installed are usually always FM only, why has everyone forgotten about AM? Phillips have some pretty neat ICs that throw all this on one cheap, low cost, and tiny chip. Shouldn't be too tough to integrate either.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:44 PM
chunkymonkey75
Intellectual

I don't remember the last time I listened to an AM station. I'm sure that many here are in the same boat. I would never miss the AM band.

Old 03-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpint
I would never miss the AM band.
I would! KYW 1060 in Philly and 1010 WINS in NY. I need my all news/weather/traffic stations! Plus, there are quite a few other good stations and formats that can only be found on AM...

Until I make the switch to XM, anyway... :wink:

Steve

Old 03-20-2004, 03:09 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default AM...please

I need am. FM guys don't do the news right plus lately they steer everyone to the net when it snows (school/business closings) when all of the schools have them on the list of stations. At least most AM stations read the whole thing.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

I want a TV/FM tuner for my Pocket PC... the one that can double as a Wi-Fi card and work with satellite feed...

Mabuhay!!! ~ Carlo

Old 03-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator
Default Re: inbuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy2k2
IMHO radio tuners should come standard on PPCs considering how cheap the chips are. I just don't get it..
I always thought that the FM tuner was rather large. That's why most manufacturers didn't incorporate it into their electronics products.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:52 PM
luiskim
Intellectual

it would be great if someone made a CF or SD device like this or a wife card that is the same size to the actual flash card... with nothing sticking out if the device... when would that time come?

Old 03-20-2004, 09:20 PM
rocky_raher
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisKim
it would be great if someone made a CF or SD device like this or a wife card ...
Wife card?? You really ought to spend less time with your PDA and get a girl friend!!

Old 03-20-2004, 11:42 PM
maikii
Thinker

The reviewer writes as if this product is something new. In fact, THe Ibiz Pocket Radio has been out for some time, and is available for both CF and SDIO.

In fact, looking at the screen shot of the software in this review, it looks exactly the same as that of the Ibiz product. Therefore, I suspect it is exactly the same product, repackaged with a different brand name.

I have the IBiz product, and the reception often isn't very good. (Well, that may be my location, and I haven't had very good results with most mini radios.) This "new" product (quotation marks very intentional) would only be of interest to me if it could get better reception than the Ibiz. But I don't see any comparison of the products in this review. In fact, the author seems totally unaware that the Ibiz product exists--not very knowledgeable for a person reviewing PPC accessories.