Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Mobile Update Launches Next Week?

http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-5175544.html?tag=nefd_top

"Microsoft is expected next week to announce an update to its Windows Mobile operating system, which powers cell phones and handhelds, CNET News.com has learned. The update, to be known as Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, is based on a Windows CE .Net core, but adds a variety of improvements, according to a source familiar with the situation. The new OS is expected to improve support for larger, VGA screens and screen rotation, among other features, according to developer comments posted in a Microsoft forum and cited by handheld enthusiast site PocketPCTools. "

We had linked to the Pocket PC Tools article yesterday. Not many details unfortunately. Also keep in mind this launch is to the OEMs, so it could be a few more months before devices with the new OS ship. Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition For Pocket PC, or WM2K3SEPPC. Man, that is a mouthful. :wink:

Old 03-19-2004, 07:11 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Does that mean?

Does that mean us T-mobile people shouldn't even hope for this seeing as windows mobile 2003 was just made avialable to us yesterday... hehe Oh well something nice for the rest of you to look forward to.

Old 03-19-2004, 07:23 PM
akirasprt
Pupil

I hope HP makes this a free upgrade since I just got a 2215 3 months ago...

Old 03-19-2004, 07:25 PM
dhettel
Thinker

T-mobile made you wait, that's true. But you did get it, and it was free too! Because the government is involved with this, I can understand why it may take longer. :cry:

I like to look on the bright side of things when I can. My guess is you will not see Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition next week. But then I don't expect to see it either next week, :evil: I hope you get to see it, and when you get it, it is free. I also hope the bugs are known and fixed by then. Does your T-Mobile version have the notifications bug? Or is it fixed?

Old 03-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasprt
I hope HP makes this a free upgrade since I just got a 2215 3 months ago...
Usually HP is kind to recent buyers.

------

Jason, how soon will you be able to talk about WM2k3SE? Next week?

Old 03-19-2004, 07:36 PM
mhskateboarder
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to mhskateboarder Send a message via MSN to mhskateboarder

so, are we still in the dark about which handhelds this update will be available for?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:19 PM
cdunphy
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to cdunphy
Default Now we know why they are supporting landscape...

No wonder Microsoft needed to add landscape support to the platform -- it is the only way the about box can display the entire product name on a single line... ;-)

"Windows Mobile 2003 Seceond Edition for Pocket PC - Phone Edition"

Gag!

- chris

Old 03-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage
Default Re: Now we know why they are supporting landscape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdunphy
No wonder Microsoft needed to add landscape support to the platform -- it is the only way the about box can display the entire product name on a single line... ;-)

"Windows Mobile 2003 Seceond Edition for Pocket PC - Phone Edition"

Gag!

- chris
:rotfl:

Old 03-19-2004, 08:37 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Obviously I want this update, but (like the T-Mobile post above) am affraiod I won't see it. Why? I have an HP iPaq 5455, which originally shipped with PPC 2002. True, I did purchase, recieve, and install an upgrade to WM2003 for the 5400 series, and therefore a second upgrade (free or not) is unprecedented, isn't it?

I hope they (HP) makes it availible for those of us that upgraded to WM2003 (as opposed to purchasing a new device with WM2003 already loaded), but I'm concerned they won't. :cry:

-Brian

Old 03-19-2004, 08:42 PM
mhskateboarder
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to mhskateboarder Send a message via MSN to mhskateboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchris
Obviously I want this update, but (like the T-Mobile post above) am affraiod I won't see it. Why? I have an HP iPaq 5455, which originally shipped with PPC 2002. True, I did purchase, recieve, and install an upgrade to WM2003 for the 5400 series, and therefore a second upgrade (free or not) is unprecedented, isn't it?

I hope they (HP) makes it availible for those of us that upgraded to WM2003 (as opposed to purchasing a new device with WM2003 already loaded), but I'm concerned thay won't. :cry:

-Brian
i'm in the same boat as you regarding the 5455. If this WM2K3SE contains some bug fixes then I would think it should be available for any devices capable of running the current WM2K3