Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Let's Create A FAQ On Hard Resetting Various Devices

One of the questions I see most often is "How do I hard reset my {insert device name here?}" Other than my iPAQs, I really have no clue and too often manuals don't shed any light, so, reply to this thread with your device and how to hard reset it if you know how. No discussion and no repeats. If you see someone has posted incorrect info, contact me on the contact forum and I will modify their post or contact them directly for clarification.

I'll start.

iPAQ 3100, 3600, 3700 - Remove any expansion packs. Slide open the battery door on the lower left and slide the little switch to the right. Wait 30 seconds and slide it to the left again and plug the iPAQ in.

iPAQ 2200, 3800, 3900, 5100, 5400, 5500 - Turn the device on and remove any expansion packs and/or memory cards. Press and hold down the outermost right and left buttons and then press and hold in the soft reset button with the stylus. Wait until the screen fades completely out and wait 30 seconds. Now, plug the device in and press the soft reset button. Note that this will not clear the iPAQ File store. You will need to launch File Explorer and manually delete all data in there. Some report that you don't need to apply power, simply do a soft reset. I know you need to on a 3900, but later devices like the 5500 and 2200 may have removed that step. Applying power won't hurt, but if it doesn't work on the battery, plug it in then soft reset. :way to go:

Thanks to DualShock, JR, dhettel, Steve Cedrone

There. That takes care of the Compaq designed iPAQs. Only about 100 devices to go.

Update Let me repeat. No discussion.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

Ed,

On an Audiovox Maestro, simply look for the white battery switch on the bottom of the device (next to the usb port). Push the switch towards the usb port to disconnect the battery.

Once the power goes off you must make sure to push the switch back to its original position or the pda will not be able to recharge.

(Don't ask how I know about that...)

Steve 8)

Old 03-15-2004, 03:47 PM
VanHlebar
Intellectual

For a Dell Axim X5: remove the battery and the backup battery. Wait five minutes and then replace the batteries. Turn the unit on and press the appropriate button ( I can't remember if it is the mail button or the contacts button) to remove all data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop
There is no need to remove the batteries. Just push in the soft reset button and power button at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalthes
In addition to Eric's information above, you will need to hold the power and soft reset dimple for about 5 seconds. The screen will then prompt you to either cancel or continue by selecting the e-mail button (cancel) or the contacts button (complete the hard reset).
For a Dell Axim X3i: hold down the power button while soft resetting the device. Again press the contacts button to remove all data or the mail button to cancel the hard reset.

-Eric

Old 03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
r3tro
Neophyte
Default Hewlett-Packard iPAQ 41xx / 43xx

Hewlett-Packard iPAQ 41xx / 43xx

According to the manual:

1. Press and hold the Power button (on top of the device)

2. Press the Reset hardware button: unscrew your stylus and press the tip of its end piece into the small hole on the
[41xx] right side (viewed from iPAQs back side) of the battery compartment)
[43xx] bottom

3. Release the Power button first, then the Reset button

4. The Pocket PC resets and powers on

Tested with iPAQ 4150 (german version)

Old 03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

On the Samsung i700, press the soft reset button and the power at the same time. Hold both in until the screen blanks and then press Power to cycle/ turn the device back on.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Old 03-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

T-Mobile Pocket PC / XDA / MDA: Using a paperclip, press into the smaller hole on the bottom of the unit (It has an icon of a battery with a line through it). Wait a few seconds, then press it again. Unit will power up and be reset. Update to this tip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ludwig
"He mentions using a paper clip in the smaller of the two holes, but in fact the device has a special "mini stylus" just for sticking into that hole. Most people don't know it's there, but if you unscrew the top (not stylus tip) end of the stock stylus, you'll find a plastic tip designed to go into the "battery on / off" hole.
XDA II / MDA II / I-Mate / QTek 2020: Using the stylus, press into the hole at the bottom left of the unit while simultaneously pressing the power button.

Viewsonic V36: Remove battery and slide switch to Off. Wait a few seconds, slide switch to On, replace battery.

Ed: Thanks for deleting the discussion threads! Especially the Anti XDA II one

Thanks to Brosenow for info on the QTek 2020.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
rock
Ponderer

Toshiba e805 - Use the stylus to slide the switch to the right under the rubber flap which is above the wifi switch on the bottom of the unit. Flip it back after a few seconds.

All units - Run Remover and choose "Hard Reset" from the recycle bin icon. This is the best way to do it IMO.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Jorgen
Sage

IPAQ-h1910

1. Press and hold the Power button.
2. Use the stylus to press the Reset button on the side panel
3. Hold all buttons until the unit resets. A progress graph will display on the lower portion of the screen.
4. Release the Power button and stylus.

I assume that "all buttons" is American for "both buttons"

Jorgen

Old 03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Jorgen
Sage

HP-568

To restore the factory defaults
1. Disconnect all cables, including the ac adapter, from the hp-568
2. Remove the backup battery. Use the stylus to hold the backup battery lock in the OPEN position, and then slide out the backup battery tray.
3. Remove the main battery.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes, and then reinstall the main battery, reinstall the backup battery, and reconnect the ac adapter.
5. Your hp Jornada should turn on automatically and display the Welcome Wizard.
6. If you have enabled hp emergency backup, you will be prompted to restore your PIM databases from the hp safe store folder.

Jorgen

Old 03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Jorgen
Sage

HP-548

1. Disconnect from power supply and computer
2. Use the stylus to hold down the reset button
3. While holding down the reset button, press the on/off button
4. Switch the hp-548 on

Jorgen