¹ Games Coming for Zune... In 18 Months? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus
Default Games Coming for Zune... In 18 Months?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5G_U4Wv8fZU

"Microsoft Corp., the world's largest software maker, will introduce video games for its Zune music player within 18 months to match features available on Apple Computer Inc.'s dominant iPod. Peter Moore, a vice president in the company's Xbox video- game business, confirmed the plan yesterday, saying the Zune's large screen will offer a better way to play handheld games. He didn't specify what games would be offered."

Microsoft's Peter Moore has confirmed plans to add gaming to Zune. Good news. Unfortunately, the plan calls to add this support by July 2008. No, not 2007. 2008. As in about 18 months from now. I have been hooked on some of the fun little games that can be downloaded from Xbox live, and have been excited about the possibility of adding some of these types of games to my Zune. While I figured this functionality was on the way, I'm quite dismayed to find out it could be a year and a half before we see it. I sure hope some of the other functionality improvements I'm looking for don't take as long.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
cjhp
Pupil

I am hoping that this is worst case scenario. I mean they weren't suppose to have Vista support for the marketplace until Jan 30 and it came before Christmas. I hope they are giving this date but are really hoping to get it before then. I am really waiting for Movies and TV in the marketplace.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
NPrtmn4evr
Ponderer

This is both good news and bad news. The 18-month part is kind of a downer, but I'm hoping that within 18-months really means we'll start to see something in 6-months time.

I also hope they can bring simple games such as Uno (which is already on Live) to the Zune. Of course I don't really agree with Bloomberg's statement "the device might provide competition for handheld gaming devices such as Nintendo Co.'s DS and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation Portable." But it will be good to see games on the Zune nonetheless.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 AM
poxtomod
Neophyte

Remember way back when we first started hearing about "Longhorn" (now Vista) and how long it took to arrive to market, or at least when it will come to market. I am a little afraid the "games" will fail to see the 2008 release date given MS track record of release postponements.

This may sound a little negative but in actuality it should not even take a couple months to run early/simple games on the Zune like those offered on Xbox live. More complicated game should take less than a year as well That 2008 deadline seems to forward the possibility of games being offered on Zune2, following iPod model life expectancy of one year as an example. More gaming controls will likely be incorporated into this new model to better enrich game play as well.

It looks to me that early adopters once again get screwed by mighty Ms.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxtomod View Post
Remember way back when we first started hearing about "Longhorn" (now Vista) and how long it took to arrive to market, or at least when it will come to market. I am a little afraid the "games" will fail to see the 2008 release date given MS track record of release postponements.
I understand your point, but the best argument that can be had against that point is the Zune itself. The Zune product went from creation of the Zune team to product launch is less than a year, if I recall correctly. So the Zune team can, and has, moved very quickly.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
john a.
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Roma View Post
I understand your point, but the best argument that can be had against that point is the Zune itself. The Zune product went from creation of the Zune team to product launch is less than a year, if I recall correctly. So the Zune team can, and has, moved very quickly.
And we see how well that went. It took a year and it looks like it was rushed to market.