Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default A Treo With The Pocket PC OS On It? Not Ruled Out.

http://ir.palmone.com/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=plmo&script=1010&item_id=847233

palmOne had a conference call earlier this week hosted by Morgan Stanley about the future of palmOne after the HandSpring merger in October of 2003. One of the analysts asked about a Treo running the Pocket PC operating system now that palmOne was only a hardware manufacturer. Recall that PalmSource, the OS maker, has been spun off into a separate company.

Todd Bradley, the palmOne CEO and Chairman answered the question. (118kb) It wasn't a denial, or even a hint of a denial. Very interesting. You may want to listen to the entire broadcast at the link above. It is about 43 minutes in length.

You'll need Windows Media Player 9, PC or or Pocket PC 2003, to listen, or Windows Media Player 9 codecs for WMP7.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
oruvail
Neophyte
Default Pocket PC in Treo 600 Size/Style

That would be a killer device. I use both the Treo 600 and an I-Mate/Qtek 2020/XDA II and like them both; but the form of the 600 is really nice.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

I posted it before and I post it again.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4532.html

The title is "palmOne considering alternative platforms", the key sentence is Palm OS was indeed "not viewed internally as a religion".

Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

dang! I might get this one instead of the ipaq 8O

I love the Treo 600 formfactor!

Old 03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
PPCMD
Thinker

Yeah but it needs a better screen and a swappable battery, then maybe I would go with one. Oh and not on Sprints Network either.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

That seemed like an open-ended answer. Todd was just covering all bases, so to speak. I wouldn't rule a Palm PPC Phone out, but I doubt we'll see one in the near future. For one thing, if PO had licensed Windows Mobile, wouldn't we have heard about it by now....even if a deal was done behind closed doors? :?

Old 03-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm...this makes things interesting for certain. Perhaps this is the beginning of the eventual evolution of these technologies. The hardware and software vendors start expanding their reach by covering as many solutions as possible.

I don't think it's really feasible, but it would definitely be cool to be able to mix-and-match your hardware and software.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual

I was told by someone at PalmSource that if palmOne wanted to release a Pocket PC, it would have to change its name. PalmSource owns the trademark on "Palm" and as part of the agreement that allowed palmOne to use the word in its name, it had to agree to never release a device with any other operating system as long as it still has "Palm" in its name. Of course, it could undergo another name change and then release a Pocket PC.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand
I was told by someone at PalmSource that if palmOne wanted to release a Pocket PC, it would have to change its name. PalmSource owns the trademark on "Palm" and as part of the agreement that allowed palmOne to use the word in its name, it had to agree to never release a device with any other operating system as long as it still has "Palm" in its name.
Could be. His statement though is pretty clear.
Quote:
...We haven't announced any Microsoft based products, but there is nothing that would preclude us from building one.
Emphasis mine.

My gut says no, not in the foreseeable future, but I thought the comment worthy enough to highlight.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:48 PM
TheZodiac
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to TheZodiac Send a message via Yahoo to TheZodiac

The name palm is about as generic as "windows" and microsoft is being watched on that one too. Give me a break.